News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

San Juan County

Started by ballistic_ken, January 21, 2010, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballistic_ken

Totally new here.

Any Appleseed activity in Farmington area?  If not, why not?

Let's get it started.

Ken

SamD

You got a range and shooters?
We will come.
When where?

Sam

nmmi9100

Quote from: SamD on January 21, 2010, 09:24:33 PM
You got a range and shooters?
We will come.
When where?

Sam

+1.  Get a range lined up and we'll be there to instruct.

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

We will even help you convince them.
Give us a target.

Sam

ballistic_ken

Thanks for the quick responses!

I found Appleseed when looking for a .22 training program I could take with the kids.  It seems this is that and much more. :bow:

I am still reading, and trying to get a feel for the site so I don't ask stupid questions that you have already answered too many times.  Do you have any threads you recommended I read?

I know of a few ranges in this area, from SJWF to open area BLM ranges.  What are the requirements for a range?  What is the min/max # of shooters?

I can travel a bit to learn more if needed before trying to set up something local.

Thanks in advance for the help.

nmmi9100

Appleseed is an adaptive program so as long as you've got a 25 meter or longer range (or range bay) that is SAFE and can be placed under the exclusive control of Appleseed for a Saturday & Sunday dawn til dusk, we can work with everything else.  We typically use ranges that have a minimum capacity of 25 shooters so figure a firing line with a minimum of 100 feet, preferably longer.  Ranges with capacity for 25-50 shooters is typical.

Other than that, we prefer to have some sort of facilities or the capacity to get a porta-john...this isn't absolutely necessary but it sure goes a long way with the ladies and children if they have a place to go.  A porta-john is not feasible on BLM land.

I'm sure you've read it elsewhere but Appleseed provides instructors, targets, and target hanging materials.  We also provide demonstration materials.  Shooters must provide their own RIFLES, 500 rounds + of AMMO, Hearing Protection, Eye Protection, staplers, and a mat/carpet/something between them and the ground.  The program is a software-oriented program...we're not in the equipment race.  You can shoot with whatever you've got but it's most cost effective to use a 22 LR.  Semi-autos are the easiest to master but again, folks can bring whatever they've got.  They're HIGHLY encouraged to have a rifle that is cleaned and zeroed prior to the shoot, although we can work with folks if that isn't the case.

We look forward to working with you to get an Appleseed in NW New Mexico.

-David
Edgewood, NM

nmmi9100

JeremyF, Ballistic_Ken, and I will be at the San Juan Wildlife Federation on Monday, 1 February 2010 pitching Appleseed to the board of directors and the club in general.  Hopefully we can get a date for a shoot up there in the very near future.  Based upon our current commitments, any date except 17-18 April 2010 looks good.  Hopefully we can get something in late March, sometime after the WSMR event.

My number is 505.250.0965 if you are a member and would like to talk prior to the meeting.

-David
Edgewood, NM

ballistic_ken

Just talked to Jeremy, meeting is at 7pm tomorrow in case anyone else can make it. O0

ballistic_ken

Oh, and there's a funshow here in F town the weekend of Feb 14.

Maybe we could get some flyers out to drum up interest?  I might be able to get a few fliers set at some tables.

Just throwing out ideas, tell me to shut up if all this is covered already.

SamD

Nope,
You are doing just fine Ken.
It would help a lot if we had a shoot scheduled to give them a flyer to btu if you want to pass out some at teh show by all means go for it.

Sam

SamD

OK folks. Hot item here.

Shoot will happen
San Juan Wildlife Federation
Farmington NM
13-14 March.
that means the day after the WSMR shoot
We have access to an 800 yard range on this one.

We will need a full crew
SB and at least 3 IIT

Lets get the NM machine rolling now. 

Thanks NMMI9100, Jeremy F and Ballistic_ken for getting this one on the road  O0

ballistic_ken

Things went very well at the meeting this evening.  Coming together very quickly. ..:..

Downside, the only available weekend is the only weekend of 2010 that I am scheduled to be out of town. >:(

I will do whatever it takes to help out though, this area should support a few shoots a year.

Thanks to David and Jeremy.

Devnull

Well, we can certainly use your help promoting this shoot.

We are having shoots all around the state at various other times as well so odds are there will be one close enough for you to goto. Also hopefully we will have many more shoots after this one.

Did NMMI9100 leave you all some of those swat and dillon reprints? If you need more or he didn't leave you any let me know and we will get some to you guys. I'll PM you my email and phone number.

Once we get the host app back we will have some fliers specific to the event for you to pass out as well.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

ballistic_ken

Myself and Jeremy both got a stack of the SWAT and Dillon articles. I will hand them out at the Funshow over Valentines day weekend.

We've got a solid date so I am going to start spreading the word.  Does anyone have a generic pamphlet that they can e-mail me?  I can fill in the specific details and start handing them out.

I think I can get a little radio promotion time too, on the weekly Shooting Bench radio show.  I gotta talk to him of course, but it shouldn't be a problem.

What's the maximum # of shooters?

SamD

From the dimensions Dave gave me, we should be able to handle 50 shooters on this one. Be a bit tight but they'll fit.
I'll get a generic flyer together adn post here soon.

Can't get it on the schedule unitl we get the paperwork back from them but to should go quickly.

Sam

ballistic_ken

Just talked to Cope, the shoot should get mention on todays radio show. O0

JeremyF

Quote from: ballistic_ken on February 02, 2010, 10:07:22 AM

Good job!

I am going to stop by Star Outdoors and East Main Pawn and Gun tomorrow.
Also hit up a few other businesses in the area that will help.

Do we have an official flyer with sign up information yet?

SamD

Can't and won't until they sign the host application

ballistic_ken

I dropped a few of the brochures off at East Main Trade and Southwest Shooting Authority today.

Not sure if Cope mentioned it on the program today, but it is a weekly program so I'll hint again.

Quote from: JeremyF on February 02, 2010, 10:45:48 PM
Quote from: ballistic_ken on February 02, 2010, 10:07:22 AM

Good job!

I am going to stop by Star Outdoors and East Main Pawn and Gun tomorrow.
Also hit up a few other businesses in the area that will help.

Do we have an official flyer with sign up information yet?

JeremyF

Quote from: SamD on February 02, 2010, 10:50:12 PM
Can't and won't until they sign the host application

Roger that. Here is to hoping that they get the ball rolling faster on this than the toilet situation we discussed for 30 minutes...  :wb:

JeremyF

SamD

I emailed them a copy of the insurance cert the next day,
Have not heard a peep yet.

JeremyF

Quote from: SamD on February 05, 2010, 10:22:40 PM
I emailed them a copy of the insurance cert the next day,
Have not heard a peep yet.

Are they aware that we cannot begin sign ups until this is completed?

nmmi9100

I sent Mr. Wayland Moore a digital application late last week, either Thursday or Friday.  I haven't heard back from him yet either...of course he may have faxed the app to me this weekend...but my fax is at work...will find out tomorrow.

-David

ballistic_ken

I sure hope SJWF doesn't procrastinate and blow this.

As soon as it is set in stone I'll try to get it promoted and mentioned on the radio again.

nmmi9100

Ken & Jeremy:

Any chance ya'll can stir the pot a bit with the club...we need to get this going and Wayland Moore doesn't respond to emails so far.  Still no application back so we can't produce flyers, can't get this on the schedule, can't get things moving.

Do either of ya'll have his phone number?

-David
Edgewood, NM

ballistic_ken

I can't do a thing until this weekend, and I don't have any contact info.

I may be able to hunt down another board member. :wb:

nmmi9100

If either of ya'll can help get things moving ASAP, it would sure be great.  If we don't get the shoot done one this date, we'll either have to move it to Memorial Day or work on one for next year.  SJWF was THAT booked already.

And if it goes Memorial Day, I sure can't be there...got a 1000-yard 50 BMG match that weekend at NRA Whittington.

Thanks in advance,

-David
Edgewood, NM

ballistic_ken

David, call me tomorrow.  I may need to get ahold of you quick and need your number.

Jeremy you need to give me a call too, I'll be at the gun show this weekend.

JeremyF

Quote from: ballistic_ken on February 12, 2010, 01:08:14 AM
David, call me tomorrow.  I may need to get ahold of you quick and need your number.

Jeremy you need to give me a call too, I'll be at the gun show this weekend.

See you tonight then.

I do not have Mr. Moore's direct number but I can make some calls and see what is going on. He may be at the show tonight.