News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Feed your head: AK-47 zeroing and numbers to remember...

Started by Vermontagnard, October 24, 2007, 09:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermontagnard

From the GMRMI Afghan training manual:

Sight the weapon

AK-47s use a front post site and rear notch sites (as normally issued). Some have peep sites in the rear. The rear sight has an elevation knob with range indicators from 100 to 1000 meters. Elevation is controlled by moving the slide in the up or down position.  Most AK sights do not have a windage adjustment on the rear sight, so you must adjust the front sight instead. The following procedure will establish a zero at 25 meters, and your AK-47 will be set with a 1000 meter battle sight zero. This means that all shots will be within a 41 centimeter circle at all ranges up to 1000 meters:

1. Obtain a US 25 meter zeroing target, or use a make shift white piece of paper with a 5 centimeter box or circle in it. Mount this target on something solid, and place it at 25 meters.
2. Slide the spring loaded catcher down until the range scale 1 (100-meter) mark is aligned with the spring loaded catcher. This establishes "mechanical zero" for the rifle.
3. Carefully aim and fire each shot of a 3-shot group at a paper target set up at 25 meters. If your shots are not striking the point-of-aim, then adjust your sights. The front sight post can be screwed in or out of its base to adjust for elevation. The wrench in the combination tool kit is used for this purpose. Lateral zeroing is done by moving the cylindrical front sight post mount from side to side using the lateral zeroing tool.
4. Moving the front sight slide to the left, right, up or down 1 millimeter changes the strike of the bullet 26cm at 100 meters. One full turn on the front sight post moves the strike of the bullet 20cm when firing at 100 meters.
5. To raise the next shot group, rotate the front sight post in the down direction (clockwise).
6. To lower the next shot group, rotate the front sight post in the up direction (counter-clockwise).
7. If the strike of the bullet is to the left of the control point, the slide of the front sight should be moved to the left; if to the right, to the right.

8. Continue to fire 3-shot groups and adjust the sights until you have a tight group at the point of aim.
9. Once this is done, rifle is now combat-zeroed: all other ranges on the elevation knob are also zeroed, so to engage target at 500 meters, turn the spring loaded catcher to 5.
10. Russian troops routinely zero at 25 meters with rear site at 200 meter setting, as these ranges comprise the bulk of the AK-47's performance window, and where you'll more than likely end up using it. Zeroing at 25 meters with rear ramp set at 200 meters yields point of impcts identical at 25 and 200. Impacts between those ranges will be slightly higher - expect at 100 meters to be 8-12 cms higher.

Ammunition

Use only clean, unrusty ammunition. There are many manufacturers of AK-47 ammunition: Russian, Chinese, European, Pakistani, Arab, and Afghan. Generally speaking:
If the bullet has a green tip, then it is "tracer" ammunition.
If it has a black tip, then it is armor piercing.
If it has a black tip with a red ring at its base, then it is armor piercing incendiary (fire starting).

Keep some tracer ammunition handy: it is useful for marking enemy positions for other shooters, but be advised: it gives away your position, too.

Magazines

Inspect your magazines - make sure that the feed lips that guide ammunition into the chamber are undented, and that ammunition feeds properly. If the magazine is difficult to load, throw it away. If it does not seat in the magazine well, throw it away. If it badly dented, throw it away. Keep your magazines clean and periodically disassemble them and lightly lubricate the springs.

Noise control

AK-47s make a distinctive "CLICK" when they come off safe. If you are trying to act quietly, slowly move the selector to whatever position you desire. This is one of the AK-47s weaknesses compared to the US M-16 rifle: it is noisy coming off SAFE. And you need to take your right hand off the trigger grip to do so.

Old Dog

I'm not sure what this statement in the manual means

"The following procedure will establish a zero at 25 meters, and your AK-47 will be set with a 1000 meter battle sight zero. This means that all shots will be within a 41 centimeter circle at all ranges up to 1000 meters:"

Does it mean (what it would mean if read in an American training manual) the rifle will shoot groups that tight (41 cm = 16.1 inches) all the way out to 1000 meters?  Or does it mean the bullets will be withing that distance (high or low) from line of sight out to 1000 meters?  Or does it mean something else I'm not catching on to?

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Santander

Quote from: Vermontagnard on October 24, 2007, 09:32:31 AM

Noise control

AK-47s make a distinctive "CLICK" when they come off safe. If you are trying to act quietly, slowly move the selector to whatever position you desire. This is one of the AK-47s weaknesses compared to the US M-16 rifle: it is noisy coming off SAFE. And you need to take your right hand off the trigger grip to do so.

I've been thinking about getting an AK. One thing that I've heard recently is that a little bit of 550 cord (actually, the strands inside the 550 cord) wrapped around the safety lever will dampen, if not eliminate, the sound from the AK selector switch.

T.

CB3

Quote from: M1A4ME on October 24, 2007, 12:52:21 PM
I'm not sure what this statement in the manual means

"The following procedure will establish a zero at 25 meters, and your AK-47 will be set with a 1000 meter battle sight zero. This means that all shots will be within a 41 centimeter circle at all ranges up to 1000 meters:"

Does it mean (what it would mean if read in an American training manual) the rifle will shoot groups that tight (41 cm = 16.1 inches) all the way out to 1000 meters?  Or does it mean the bullets will be withing that distance (high or low) from line of sight out to 1000 meters?  Or does it mean something else I'm not catching on to?

That statement is confusing, and more than likely innaccurate.

I believe it meant that with the 25 meter #1 rear sight setting centering a three shot group, each of the succeeding notches on the rear sight (approximately 100 meters each) would elevate the rear sight sufficiently to put you on target, + or -  16 inches, out to 1000 yards. The concept is probably about right out to maybe 500 yards. Beyond that, I sincerely doubt either the AK pattern rifle or the ball ammo that it usually digests is worth taking the time to fire "groups". The effectiveness of the cartridge vs. avergae barrel length is also generally regarded as less than lethal combination. However, in the hits count world where a wound can remove someone from battle, all is not necessarily lost because of innaccuracy or reduced lethality.

As far as the safety goes, the click is produced primarily from the lever hitting the stop at the bottom of the safety lever travel. While the safety does routinely scrape along the receiver, this does not produce a click. Simply bending the safety slightly away from the reciver eliminates the scraping. Taking it off gently eliminates the click. If you have to take it off in a hurry, odds are you don't care if someone hears a click. An accepted manual of arms for dealing with the AK safety is to have it on when not near trouble, and leave it off when near trouble. It is not supposed to be clicked on and off as with some other weapons platforms. The throw is too long for constant manipulation. The safety finger tab also requires repositioning the firing hand to manipulate it. Not worth it. Just keep the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to engage.

Improved safety levers are available that make safety manipulation easier, and can provide a bolt hold open feature.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=202
In the alternative, you can manufacture the same functionality into your own safety lever with a little JB Weld, a metal tab and a Dremel.

The AK is a great, reliable, easy to use and inexpensive carbine platform and cartridge. It is not a main battle rifle either in design or caliber. The SKS is only slightly behind its AK cousin in usefulness and economy for basic stuff. The SKS also has a relatively loud "off safe", as do most positive safety rifles. I have never heard anything so loud as the safety coming off a Remington 700 with a grizzly standing 275 yards away. I thought it would echo off the mountains and spook him for sure. As ususal, I was wrong.

CB3

Vermontagnard

The confusing statement should be read as a variation of the "volley fire" sort of sight settings the old military rifles used for barrage fire at distant targets, and that under best conditions you were 41cm north or south of your "aiming" point.

Apologies, should have deleted that for clarity.

As for bending those selectors - be careful: sudden jolts to the weapon, or it hanging up on something, could alter the selector setting unknowingly.

Best to simply carry hot in the badlands, mindful of muzzle discipline.

Monty

Old Dog

I'm not at all familiar with these rifles so this may be a dumb question.  You've probably seen how the ambidextrous safeties on 45's are made/work.  Could a similar unit be made for an AK so you could use your "support" hand to move the safety on/off?  It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Nickle

Quote from: M1A4ME on October 24, 2007, 05:17:39 PM
I'm not at all familiar with these rifles so this may be a dumb question.  You've probably seen how the ambidextrous safeties on 45's are made/work.  Could a similar unit be made for an AK so you could use your "support" hand to move the safety on/off?  It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.

Well, it could, if you want to use it as a Close Quarter Carbine for room clearing and such. That's when you want Left Hand controls.

On an MBR, you want Right Hand controls, so you don't have to loosen your forward hand up (and loosen your sling, break your position and disturb your NPOA).

That's why the controls are on the right of an AK, M1 and M14.

You'll have to watch me run an AR sometime. I use my right hand to hit the bolt release, by reaching over the top of the carry handle. If I used my left, I'd have to fix my position and reacquire my NPOA.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

CB3

Quote from: M1A4ME on October 24, 2007, 05:17:39 PM

The safety axis could be extended through the left side of the receiver for an external ambidextrous safety on some models. Many AK receivers have an accessory mounting plate on the left outside of the receiver that would preclude such an extension.

Don't see much need for it. The AK is a fine example of a KISS weapon and the operator is better to adapt to it than to try to adapt the rifle to the operator.

CB3

Willard

The Galil (an AK variant) has an ambi safety/selector, and Krebs Custom makes one for regular AK's.

Son of Martha

Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.