News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any Reno Appleseeds scheduled? & what happened to the Gun shows?

Started by desertrat144, January 19, 2010, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antibubba

QuoteI have found that the targets are the best handout.

Which target are you giving them--the folding card, or the QDAQT?

QuoteIf we are taking the time to do this in lieu of a shoot, I want to make it as effective as possible.  If Sacramento pre regs spike up, I'd rather you go there and help and I can handle the show.

I'm not an Instructor, and I'm not shooting, so my presence isn't necessary.  I'll see to it that someone gets participant emails.  Also, if it'll let JetSet get into Sac for 1 day, that'll be great.  And as busy as Big Reno is, and is so important an event for us, We're going to need at least 2 people at the table at all times.  Finally, I haven't been to the Reno show in years, and now I'm looking forward to it.  So you are stuck with me.    ;)

QuoteWhat we really need to attract attention is a booth babe...

This is where I bite my tongue... :))
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

arashi

I gave out all of my cards, but I have given out some QDAQT's.  I have a bunch of the QDAQT's as they don't seem to get used much at shoots.

If we can get commitments to man the table, I can go assist at a shoot.  I can leave the stuff on my porch in Reno for someone to pick up and drop off.

Jet Set

Regarding Big Reno Gun Show April 16-18:
I'll definitely do the show Friday and Saturday.  I'd like to go to Sacramento on Sunday if we have enough booth coverage.  With Antibubba and Arashi, I might get to!  Desertrat144 is also going to pass by on Friday for a while.

So, if I  understood everyone correctly, this is the list of volunteers so far?
Friday: Jet Set and Arashi, plus Desertrat144 part of the day
Saturday: Jet Set, Antibubba, Arashi
Sunday: Antibubba, Arashi, and maybe Jet Set

V is shipping me a bunch of AQT's and Redcoats for give aways. Only a few squares for display and no greenies;  200-300 Trifolds as well.  Arashi has banners and corplast signs and QDAQTs.  Antibubba also has materials.  Hopefully the banners work for the required table decoration.  The only thing I can think of that we could use are SWAT articles and some type of schedule of local upcoming Appleseeds.  V had mentioned the idea of printing out EIPs.  This should be a BIG show, so hopefully we have enough materials.

I'm making a slideshow that can play on a laptop, but I haven't bought the new laptop yet (my current one has a dead battery).  Hope to do so in time.  Anyone have one that they can bring?  Or Arashi mentioned a DVD - were you thinking of bringing a portable DVD player?

Finally, I don't know if we are required to do booth set up Thursday night, or we can arrive early Friday morning.

V

PM me Arashi's real name for the badge (has to be real name to match photo id for entry).

I suggest printing the event flyers which are listed for download (pdf's) at the end of the EIP's for the events. EIP's are found here

I shipped the stuff to you last week, you should have it by now.

I'll have to unseal the envelope to add arashi's name. ;)

Feel free to phone or email Lou, mention your a volunteer manning the Appleseed table booked by me, Phil Terry, if you have any questions on what's allowed in terms of banners, signs, etc.

Cheers
V

Antibubba

A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

desertrat144

V & others working the BRS- I picked up the Show materials & logged Appleseed in.  I figured if Jr. is like Sr., timeliness counts.  We won't**  need/get name badges as we are in the entrance hallway, not in the Show area proper.  We'll need a table cover and it must reach the floor, or close to it.  I also picked up the Nylock ties for anyone bringing in display weapons.  I'm bringing two '03 Springfields.

Tom

** After taliking with Phil, we will get two passes free Harold & myself + 2 that Phil pre-paid.  I'll sort this out once H. gets there. dr144

Quote from: V on March 23, 2010, 01:31:05 AM
PM me Arashi's real name for the badge (has to be real name to match photo id for entry).

I suggest printing the event flyers which are listed for download (pdf's) at the end of the EIP's for the events. EIP's are found here

I shipped the stuff to you last week, you should have it by now.

I'll have to unseal the envelope to add arashi's name. ;)

Feel free to phone or email Lou, mention your a volunteer manning the Appleseed table booked by me, Phil Terry, if you have any questions on what's allowed in terms of banners, signs, etc.

Cheers
V
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Antibubba

Whew--what a weekend!

I arrived in Reno early Saturday morning.  Apparently Friday had been a bust, since almost nobody stopped at the table.  They wanted to get inside the show as quickly as possible, scoop up their goodies and go.  This is the usual pattern when the doors open on a 2 day show.  The entry line on Saturday morning was almost out the door, and if you've ever been to the Grand Sierra you know how long a line that is!  As usual, no one wanted to stop on the way in.  But by 11:00, as people left with their treasure hauls, we talked to more and more people.  I was very glad to have two of us at the table at all times, because they arrived in waves.  Arashi arrived in the early afternoon, and Jet Set left.  Arashi brought his LTR and a gorgeous FN-49 which drew in lots of admirers.  Never underestimate the power of blued metal and stained wood!  The rest of the day ticked along nicely.

The line to get in on Sunday was considerably smaller, and as usual the first ones in are focused on finds.  But again by 11:00 we were seeing a steady stream of interested men, women, and children.  I was pleased by the number of potential "Dangerous Old Men" who were wanting to attend; usually they are the ones who already Know Everything.  They will be very welcome additions to the lines.

I was surprised by how many people from Northern Nevada had not heard about Appleseed; it reinforced the need we have to get established there with regular shoots.  But the people who had heard of us were most enthusiastic, and thrilled to learn of the 3-day shoot in May at a private range in Gardnerville.  Even better, we talked to Nevadans and Californians who are members at ranges or own private land who want to host Appleseed shoots!

I was not surprised by the number of visitors who came from California--I'd guess at least half.  A lot of you in other states don't realize what it's like to walk into a gun show and see guns on nearly every table!  I saw three foot high stacks of high capacity magazines (standard mags for the rest of the country) on tables, Class 3 arms, every size, shape, and configuration, spread over an acre and a half of floor space.  I saw no cutesy stuffed animals, heard no stun guns, and smelled no beef jerky.  It was glorious!  And it broke my heart.  I'd walk by items on a table and think, "Felony...felony...law enforcement only...five year sentence..."   It's hard to understand the freedoms you've lost until you visit someplace that has them.  We have a long slog back, California, and we need a lot more bailers.

Jet Set had manned the table on Friday and was with me for the first half of Saturday.  We discussed the light traffic and considered whether it would be worthwhile to pay for an inside table.  After examining the weekend traffic at our table in the corridor I'd have to say that not only do we not need it, but we wouldn't want it.  The aisles were clogged with throngs of people, and we would have had to shout to get our message across.  Outside, people could relax a little, set down their treasures, and listen to the pitch.  The next Big Reno show is in September, and we definitely want to be there.

arashi

I think Friday was a bust as far as interest goes.  Then again, maybe many people buy weekend passes and decide to stop by later.

I compiled some of the good AS video and burned them in DVD format so you don't need a computer to play them.  We didn't have power, but did play the videos for most of Friday.  They didn't seem to garner much attention though.

I printed a bunch of photos for the forums there and taped them in collages to corroplast boards.  It was nice to have a kid's board, regular AS board, target board, and military board.

I thank Anti-bubba for coming up to help us Nevadans.  Jetset is a Nevadan now, so it's his duty to help  ;)  Thanks also to Desertrat144 for helping too.

Now do I get a April 19th rocker for working the gun show for 3 days?   :)

desertrat144

My thanks to everyone that helped with the Big Reno Show this weekend, and Phil for getting the table.  On Thursday when I picked up the table info, I had the opportunity to speak with a number of active duty Army folks; about 1/2 were familiar with Appleseed, with about 1/2 of those folks being familiar with Ft. Stewart and the White Sands, NM training sessions.  These were all non-comms and definitely want more quality trigger time if/before they deploy.  Everyone received business cards with RWVA contact info.  If anyone calls to follow up for training, who should I contact that is familiar with USA training?

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan