News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any Reno Appleseeds scheduled? & what happened to the Gun shows?

Started by desertrat144, January 19, 2010, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertrat144

Two quick questions:

Are there any shoots scheduled for Reno, or N. NV in general?  I need to post them for PVA and DAV. Also S. NV, too.

What became of the tables at Reno, and other Gun Shows. If the Big Reno Show says no, ask 'em about a table outside, close to the cashier, and on that side.  The lines are long, but the closer to the cashier, the better the mood.

Just some random thoughts.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Chris_H

Yes,

[NOTE: Edited date for Gardnerville. Instructor scheduling, public AS schedule & flyers already reflect the correct date.

Northern, NV
Gardnerville, NV  
  May  29-31

Southern, NV
Boulder City, NV
  Feb 06-07
  Apr 17-18
  May  15-16
  Oct 16-17
  Dec 18-19

Reno/Fallon are sites of previous Appleseed shoots, but I don't know of either being scheduled as yet. I do know Arashi had e-mailed the Mustang Range in Fernley (about 30 miles east of Reno) about the possibility to schedule Appleseed shoots there, as the Mustang Range may correct some of the difficulties we've had on occasion at the Reno range.

Don't have any info on gun shows other than schedules.

This year, the Crossroads of the West gunshow is at the Reno/Sparks Convention Center in February 14-15, May 22-23, July 24-25, & Oct. 23-24. Their site is http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/, and has a lot of info.

Additionally, the crossroads gun shows seem to be gaining quite a bit of ground on the big Reno shows. I don't know if it's because they're easier to work with, cheaper for exhibitors, or what, but Crossroads might be a good avenue to look at for the western states.

Chris

desertrat144

Crossroads of the West is way easier to work with.  Please PM about the County Range problems, wasn't in on that.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Jet Set

There is the Big Reno show April 16-18.  I was thinking that we could at least have a table on Friday the 16th (I won't be available on the weekend since the 17th and 18th are key Appleseed days).  Does anyone know about how to get a free table?  I'll check with the California board as well.

eaglescouter

Quote from: Jet Set on March 04, 2010, 08:00:55 PM
There is the Big Reno show April 16-18.  I was thinking that we could at least have a table on Friday the 16th (I won't be available on the weekend since the 17th and 18th are key Appleseed days).  Does anyone know about how to get a free table?  I'll check with the California board as well.

The NRA normally has a square of 4 tables near the ticket sales area.  Usually only has enough material to cover one or two of the tables.  Perhaps teaming up with NRA will work if Appleseed cannot get its own table in the registration area? 

Note:  Registration area should be easier than trying to get a table inside the show.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Jet Set

Anyone have a contact in the NRA?  I haven't even been able to join since I am having problems getting them to realize that Slovakia is a country.  Their computers seem to recognize every country in the world but Slovakia (they probably don't realize it is different than Slovenia).  It would be best to coordinate our efforts so several of us don't make calls to the same people; especially since I also posted this in the California gun show thread.  I asked anyone willing to help get a booth to reply on this thread.

Jules

Hey Jet Set!

Here is a link to the Big Reno Shoot. It has contact info for you. We generally go directly to the promoter and ask for a non profit table. Hope this helps. Hope to see you soon!

http://www.bigrenoshow.com/

Jules

Quote from: eaglescouter on March 04, 2010, 08:21:35 PM
Quote from: Jet Set on March 04, 2010, 08:00:55 PM

The NRA normally has a square of 4 tables near the ticket sales area.  Usually only has enough material to cover one or two of the tables.  Perhaps teaming up with NRA will work if Appleseed cannot get its own table in the registration area? 

Note:  Registration area should be easier than trying to get a table inside the show.
Quote from: Jet Set on March 04, 2010, 09:10:14 PM
Anyone have a contact in the NRA?  I haven't even been able to join since I am having problems getting them to realize that Slovakia is a country.  Their computers seem to recognize every country in the world but Slovakia (they probably don't realize it is different than Slovenia).  It would be best to coordinate our efforts so several of us don't make calls to the same people; especially since I also posted this in the California gun show thread.  I asked anyone willing to help get a booth to reply on this thread.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

V

I have an email and a voicemail in with the organizer to try and get donation of table/space (ie we provide the table in a walkway/registration area, whatever) I'll let you know what comes back. If he agrees I will need the names of volunteers for each day.

JS is volunteering for Fri will there be anyone for the weekend. I know we can't pick this date but generally a gun-show on an AS weekend is a bad idea, it sucks attendees away from us and we can't get enough volunteers for both  a show and an AS. What we do in Cali is find the gun show dates then arrange AS a week or two after them in the area then use them to promote the event. I know that doesn't apply in this case just a note for general.

Cheers
Phil "V"

featherblue

Re: Gun Show as Appleseed promotional venue-

V      "... arrange AS a week or two after them in the area then use them to promote the event."

Isn't there a Reno gun show, May 21-23, the weekend prior to the Gardnerville Shoot, May 29-30?

-fb

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Jet Set

Yes, great timing on the Reno May 29-31 and Boulder City Dec 18-19 Appleseeds; they both have CRGS the week before.  If someone is very limited on which gun shows they can man, those would be priorities in my opinion.

Bad timing on the Boulder City Oct 16-17 Appleseed.

AS = Appleseed
CRGS = Crossroads of the West Gun Show http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm
BRGS = Big Reno Gun Show http://www.bigrenoshow.com/futuredates.php

Northern, NV:
BRGS Reno April 16-18
GRGS: Reno May 22-23
AS: Gardnerville, NV  May  29-31 (special 3 day)
GRGS: Reno July 24-25
BRGS Reno Aug 13-15
GRGS: Reno Oct 23-24
BRGS Reno Nov 5-7

Southern, NV
AS Boulder City, NV    Apr 17-18
AS Boulder City, NV   May  15-16

CRGS Las Vegas June 12-13
CRGS Las Vegas Aug 7-8
AS Boulder City, NV   Oct 16-17
CRGS Las Vegas Oct 16-17
CRGS Las Vegas Dec 11-12
AS Boulder City, NV   Dec 18-19

Quote from: featherblue on March 06, 2010, 12:41:56 AM

Re: Gun Show as Appleseed promotional venue-

V      "... arrange AS a week or two after them in the area then use them to promote the event."

Isn't there a Reno gun show, May 21-23, the weekend prior to the Gardnerville Shoot, May 29-30?

-fb

V

Just got a phone call from Lou Fascio who says "your organization sounds wonderful and there should be no problem comping you a space in the foyer".

He will be sending me the paperwork in the next couple of days (requires the OK of the hotel for foyer space "should be no problem").

So folks, I need volunteers to step up for this, my name is on all the paperwork here, I don't want Nevada embarrassing me by leaving an empty table in the foyer all weekend, not to mention blackening our name for future events. Lets make it a good one.

Cheers
Phil
Quote from: V on March 05, 2010, 03:26:04 PM
I have an email and a voicemail in with the organizer to try and get donation of table/space (ie we provide the table in a walkway/registration area, whatever) I'll let you know what comes back. If he agrees I will need the names of volunteers for each day.

JS is volunteering for Fri will there be anyone for the weekend. I know we can't pick this date but generally a gun-show on an AS weekend is a bad idea, it sucks attendees away from us and we can't get enough volunteers for both  a show and an AS. What we do in Cali is find the gun show dates then arrange AS a week or two after them in the area then use them to promote the event. I know that doesn't apply in this case just a note for general.

Cheers
Phil "V"

Jet Set

I'll do Friday the 16th.  Feel free to join me, the more the merrier!

Anyone able to do the 17th and/or 18th?

I would like to do the Sacramento Appleseed the 17th and 18th, so I hope someone not able to do an AS that weekend can help out. 

Thanks!

Jet Set / Harold

desertrat144

I'll try to help you on Friday.  Not sure how long I'll last.  Can't do Sat or Sun.

Tom

Jet Set

Thanks Tom!  Any time on Friday is a help and much appreciated!

Anyone else able to help out on Saturday or Sunday?

Jules

April 17,18 is close at hand.  :sos:Mucho Frustrating.

Hello! Anyone out there who is not signed up to instruct at  an April Shoot that can man the table is needed would be much appreciated.

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

V

OK we have a fully comped table for April 16,17 and 18th Space Number: ZZ-01 in the name of RWVA Project Appleseed, Phil Terry. Early Vendor drop off Wed April 14, 5pm to 8pm. Vendor setup Thur April 15th 8am-6pm.

Each exhibitor gets 2 badges so I need you to PM me names so I can return the paper work. Additional badges are $15 each with the paperwork, $25 if printed at the show.

Please thank Lou Fascio the show organizer for this $160 dollar value donation if you see him at the show.

OK, folks, I've done what was asked, now its up to you guys to man the show.

Cheers
Phil

desertrat144

Phil, Thank you for getting this done.  I will try to make Friday; will PM with details.

Thanks again,
Tom

Antibubba

Jet Set,

If you can't get anyone closer to Reno to help out for the whole weekend,  then I'll drive up from Sacramento.  I'd hate to miss the Anniversary shoot, but Big Reno is important.  However, I'll need a place to stay Friday and Saturday nights.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

V

Please see the show rules here especially 10 onwards.

Please note, you are there to represent Appleseed and get in on a vendor badge on that basis. The application I did does not allow us to sell firearms etc. We are there as a 501.c.3 to promote our events with fliers etc. I'm sure no one will object to selling the odd T-shirt, bumper sticker, targets, etc. We are free to display firearms etc as per the rules above.

If you want to bring stuff to privately sell etc, please use discretion, pay the fees as a private attendee and sell on your own basis. We would like to build good reputation with a new gun show owner/org who has kindly donated space, lets not abuse them.

I'm trying to find out if I need badges with real names, checked against list for attendance, or just Name tags to signify OK to be there. EG RWVA1, RWVA2 or I. Davis and J. Parker might do. If I get a lot of people volunteering I'll spring for the $15 each (don't expect I'll have to shell out much  :( ) for the extra badges. AntiBubba PM me your real name in case I need it. I've got Harold and Tom.

Thanks
Phil

Quote from: V on March 11, 2010, 03:05:10 AM
OK we have a fully comped table for April 16,17 and 18th Space Number: ZZ-01 in the name of RWVA Project Appleseed, Phil Terry. Early Vendor drop off Wed April 14, 5pm to 8pm. Vendor setup Thur April 15th 8am-6pm.

Each exhibitor gets 2 badges so I need you to PM me names so I can return the paper work. Additional badges are $15 each with the paperwork, $25 if printed at the show.

Please thank Lou Fascio the show organizer for this $160 dollar value donation if you see him at the show.

OK, folks, I've done what was asked, now its up to you guys to man the show.

Cheers
Phil

Chris_H

Arashi is up in Reno, but I don't know what his availability is.

That's a pretty tough weekend, since it's an "All hands on deck" date.

V

OK, I have to return the paperwork for the BigRenoShow soon, so far I have two names for Harold and Tom...

I checked and these are checked against photo ID for entry as a vendor, so our free two names are covering Fri only.

Each additional name is $15 per badge if I return it with the paperwork, $25 on the door on the day. I'll spring for the $15 pre-reg if you get to me this week before I mail in the paperwork otherwise you are on your own Nevada.

Now is the time to step onto the green...

Cheers
Phil "V"

arashi

I really want to help out or run a shoot on the 19th weekend, but I can man the table on Sat and Sun if that is what is deemed best for the AS program.  I am in Reno, have display rifles (attract attention), and could borrow Jim's banner.  I also have the battle road map banner and 5 step charts for show and plenty of targets, literature, and some of the patches and cards, etc to sell.  I could make up a decent table.

I was planning on going to Sacramento to help out since they had a great turn out last year, but with the low pre regs, I don't know if they will need me.  I could also SB the Eureka, CA shoot or help out at a big shoot.

I'll let V decide what is best.

Arashi

BTW, I have been unable to get any private range to respond to any of the polite inquiries I have made. 

V

Well I don't know that its for me to decide but I believe HollywoodMarine is going to SB Eureka but you can race him to Instructor Scheduling or fight it out with him  :) but there are no I/IITs either so there's room for both of you plus some others.

It pains me to say it, but the current pre-regs don't seem to show any "big shoots" this year :o so I guess we need to kick our promotions up a notch. That's everyone out there reading this folks. Of course, this particular gun show isn't going to make a difference for Apr 17/18 but it could be big for Nevada longer term, if the ranges can be booked.

Getting Apr staffed should take priority in my book for instructors.

Folks, you don't need to be an Instructor or IIT to staff a gun show for Appleseed... if you've been to as Appleseed, are a friend to the program and would like to see it prosper and want to help, give me a PM or email me (its under the avatar). All you have to do at a gun show is talk about what you experienced at your AS, hand out fliers, and point people to the website on how to find the schedule and book online - all stuff you've done yourself. The other folks can get you the supplies etc.

I'm sending in the paperwork on Fri, clocks ticking... so far I have Tom and Harold for Fri only...

Quote from: arashi on March 17, 2010, 02:32:54 AM
I really want to help out or run a shoot on the 19th weekend, but I can man the table on Sat and Sun if that is what is deemed best for the AS program.  I am in Reno, have display rifles (attract attention), and could borrow Jim's banner.  I also have the battle road map banner and 5 step charts for show and plenty of targets, literature, and some of the patches and cards, etc to sell.  I could make up a decent table.

I was planning on going to Sacramento to help out since they had a great turn out last year, but with the low pre regs, I don't know if they will need me.  I could also SB the Eureka, CA shoot or help out at a big shoot.

Arashi

BTW, I have been unable to get any private range to respond to any of the polite inquiries I have made.  

eaglescouter

For what it is worth, the Reno gun show will be some of the best marketing opportunities available for the northern 1/2 of California as well as parts of Nevada.

The Reno show draws from Sacramento, Stockton, California Bay Area, Redding, as well as Southern Oregon. 

For areas north of Sacramento, this is "The Gun Show" (multiple times per year) to attend.

Gentlemen, thank you for stepping up to represent Appleseed.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Jet Set

V,

Depending on what is needed and who else is able to help out, I might end up being in Reno for the whole thing.  I don't know if this affects what you tell the gun show people.

V

Quote from: Jet Set on March 18, 2010, 01:15:48 AM
V,

Depending on what is needed and who else is able to help out, I might end up being in Reno for the whole thing.  I don't know if this affects what you tell the gun show people.
They need the names for badges to check against photo id for entry for the whole three days. They don't care how many people we have, they just charge for the name badges. We get two free, $15 for each additional that I notify with the paperwork, and $25 each if you just turn up on the day.

Good Luck and Good Hunting for prospective Appleseeders for Nevada.

And thanks to Jet Set and desertrat144 for getting this setup and volunteering... anyone else going to step up and help?

As a fall back, if you attend the show as joe public and see the AS table unmanned there's nothing stopping you stepping up and handing out the fliers and talking to people for a couple of hours while you pass through  ::) just be wearing your AS T-shirt.

Jet Set

Hey Arashi,

Great that you might be able to help out.  I guess we'll play it by ear, depending on who is needed where that weekend. If you won't be able to do the show, I could get the materials and banners and so on from you on Thursday the 15th?

I really want to help out or run a shoot on the 19th weekend, but I can man the table on Sat and Sun if that is what is deemed best for the AS program.  I am in Reno, have display rifles (attract attention), and could borrow Jim's banner.  I also have the battle road map banner and 5 step charts for show and plenty of targets, literature, and some of the patches and cards, etc to sell.  I could make up a decent table.

I was planning on going to Sacramento to help out since they had a great turn out last year, but with the low pre regs, I don't know if they will need me.  I could also SB the Eureka, CA shoot or help out at a big shoot.

Arashi

arashi

PM sent.

Quote from: Jet Set on March 19, 2010, 01:37:34 AM
Hey Arashi,

Great that you might be able to help out.  I guess we'll play it by ear, depending on who is needed where that weekend. If you won't be able to do the show, I could get the materials and banners and so on from you on Thursday the 15th?

Arashi

Antibubba

JetSet,

Count on me for Sat/Sunday.  I'll be driving in very early on Sat morning.  This means I can swing a room Sat night, no problem.  It also means you'll need fliers for Friday.  You'll get them sent to you.  I'll bring more with me.  I'm still not clear whether or not you have a banner available.  If not, I'll UPS mine so you'll have it available.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

arashi

Quote from: Antibubba on March 21, 2010, 01:27:00 PM
JetSet,

Count on me for Sat/Sunday.  I'll be driving in very early on Sat morning.  This means I can swing a room Sat night, no problem.  It also means you'll need fliers for Friday.  You'll get them sent to you.  I'll bring more with me.  I'm still not clear whether or not you have a banner available.  If not, I'll UPS mine so you'll have it available.

I have the Battle Road map banner, 6 steps flip charts, tons of targets, flags etc.  I also have a bunch of 4x8' sheets of coroplast that we might be able to use for a back drop or something.  I'll get ahold of Jim who has a banner, so don't send yours.   I have found that the targets are the best handout.  Give them one and they will try it.  It humbles them.  I could also burn the Appleseed videos from youtube onto DVD and we could play them at the show  I also have a selection of common rifles used at AS for display

If we are taking the time to do this in lieu of a shoot, I want to make it as effective as possible.  If Sacramento pre regs spike up, I'd rather you go there and help and I can handle the show.

I can be three Friday then and we can both work it through the weekend.

What we really need to attract attention is a booth babe...