News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Post-Appleseed testing...

Started by Vermontagnard, October 23, 2007, 01:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermontagnard

FYI:

Came home from Appleseed, took a day off, and headed to the range for some dot drills to see if I'd improved.

Sho'nuff, shrunk groups by 1/2...100% improvement, can't wait to shoot an AQT with an M-1 Garand..or Lee- Enfield...

Monty

crak

Check your drama at the door.

Nickle

No, not the BANANA!!!!

Hey, Monty, you shoot a 210 or higher, let me know, and save the target.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Vermontagnard

I've done it in perfect conditions with the 74 and an ar-15, a 221 with the 74 and a 220 with the 15...

I did save my STG-58 jamm-o-matic target, shot a 179 (?) or higher depending on how you score it (25 yard) after , did get 4 hits in the belly on the 600, so happy anyway...

What's with the banana?

Vermontagnard

After the gear craziness this weekend with my FAL, I double checked my Garand...
Is the rear site supposed to have a release setting? I mean: When I attempted to get to mechanical zero today, the elevation just kept spinning around and clicking - even after tightening...

Is this bad slop?

Do I have yet another cripple?

Monty

Atlas Shrug

Quote from: Vermontagnard on October 23, 2007, 11:35:20 PM
After the gear craziness this weekend with my FAL, I double checked my Garand...
Is the rear site supposed to have a release setting? I mean: When I attempted to get to mechanical zero today, the elevation just kept spinning around and clicking - even after tightening...

Is this bad slop?

Monty

You likely just aren't tightening it correctly.  I would recommend that you take the time now to research the Garand sight, but instead of me posting a cite on how to do so, I expect the best way would be for you to search for a site on the internet that describes it fully.   :)

Sorry, but the site, sight, cite usage is a pet peeve of mine.   :)

Do learn the Garand sight well, it's a gem but many don't know how to properly handle it.

Vermontagnard

Uh huh.

That was entirely illuminating, that's for the help!

Monty

Francis Marion

Quote from: Vermontagnard on October 23, 2007, 11:35:20 PM

Is this bad slop?

Monty
Check CMP website for detailed disassembly/reassembly procedure for the rear sight.
Likely cause is loosened screw on the elevation drum; that happened to me already, prevented the drum pinion from driving the sight.
With properly tightened screws, the elevation pinion will track properly with sight rack, sans slippage. 
Easy to take whole thing apart down to individual pieces if you need to examine each part; why not do that to ID any part fault (missing, worn teeth, breakage) then put it together by the book with known good parts.

Nickle

Mismatched rear sight parts will also do pretty much the same thing. BTDT already.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Old Dog

one check from the M14 Firing Line Public Forum:  http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=38545

another M1/M1A rear sight check out post from right here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=343.0
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Vermontagnard

Thanks for the Garand help, Gentlemen...

Monty