News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colorado Introductions

Started by esaabye, January 07, 2010, 09:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esaabye

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and is excited about the new year.   I have been thinking about this upcoming year and am ready to get the ball rolling.

It does seem to me that we do not know each other and that does not help us.  I wanted to just introduce myself and see who else is in the Colorado area.  Perhaps while the weather prevents we can get together for a shoot.

So what I am suggesting as that all of us put a quick note in to say hello, what part of the state we are from and let's see if some connections get started.  See if we can't start working together better and helping each other as needed.

So I will start...

Name is Eric, I am in Colorado Springs, work in Denver.  I have done 3 shoots as a participant (Fountain, Gunnison, Brighton) then helped at the November Ramah shoot.  I am enjoying the History and actively working on the marksmanship.  I don't get out as much as I would like but am on the wait list for a local range so hope to get this fixed soon. I have recently started shooting a local monthly CMP match and that helps.

I have passed the level 1 test and will start working on the next this spring but have to balance with 3 kids, wife and work so not going to be a shoot boss to soon.  I do enjoy the teaching aspects very much and have put together 2 training rifles over the winter, ready to go to Gunnison in April.  I have been working with my older children when the weather allows, good practice teaching for me and learning for them. 

OK, next...

iron site

Hi Eric, and Colorado
I look forward to working with you at the Gunnison shoot in April. You are welcome to stay at my house during the shoot. We have a guest room.

My name is Craig, I live in Gunnison. I've meet several of you at the IBC and am looking forward to working with any and all of you.
We have to win...they will give us no quarter.

esaabye

Colorado Pete

Hey guys! Hope to see more of you on the trail this coming year, we are going to be BUSY! Feb. 27-28 at Fountain is coming up fast!
I live in Fountain (south end of Colorado Springs) and belong to the Frontier club as well as one in Pueblo West. If some of you can't find a good place to practice I can drag you out to one of these as a guest.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

esaabye

Hey Pete, I have a question about that, I saw 4 shoots on the Frontier web site but none are up on the Appleseed public site or the instructor scheduling.  What needs to happen to get them up to the public?

On a side note, just got my parerwork for Frontier so I will be shooting at the Falcon site often.  How is the 1000yd lane coming on the south site?

Colorado Pete

Franktown_kid (Rich) is going to take care of the scheduling. Fountain, Ramah, and Brighton will be on there.

The 1000-yd range at the south site has the firing lines (200, 300, 500(?), 600, 800, 900, 1000) and the target line laid out on the ground, and that is all. Big $$ to do any more, since the idea was to have full target pits eventually. That will take a while.

By the way, this Saturday you are welcome to come to Ben Lomond Gun Club in Ramah for an instructor practice for full distance, line calling, etc. Rich, Paul, and I will be there plus whomever other orange hats we can scavenge on short notice.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr

Kinguvbattle

Hello all.  just moved to Colorado (courtesy of my current occupation).  I attended one day of a week end shoot in North Carolina last year and am looking forward to getting to some here in Colorado.  Can anyone suggest a range for use near the Colorado Springs area? 

Colorado Pete

Try Frontier Sportsman's Club. They have 2 ranges, the original east of Springs in Falcon, and a new one east of Fountain (east from the power plant and race track south of town). I will PM you with a contact.

Blue Skies

Hi everyone!

My name is John and I live up on the southside of the Metro area in Centennial.  I went through IBC last summer with Pete, Wes, Al etc but have only been able to instruct (at Gunnison) once so far.  I hope to participate more, of course, but am also juggling kids, wife etc.  I fly for a living which takes me out of town about half my life, so the hometime feels even more scarce.  But my kids love AS and I hope to get my wife to one soon.  My son Alex (YoungBlood on the board here) is 12 years old, and wants to become an instructor this year, and that would be very cool.

I am (hopefully) joining Ben Lomond next week.  I hope to meet all of you who I haven't met yet and get some good things going soon!
John

Colorado Pete

Howdy John, I hope you get into Ben Lomond, it is a good range. A Rifleman needs to have a good home range!
I'm sure we'll be seeing ya at upcoming shoots, almost certainly at the ones at your new home range! Rich Trow our state coordinator is a member there too. We hope to have the next instructor shoot there as well.

Sheepdog

Hello everybody in Colorado ^:)^
My name is Mike aka Sheepdog. I live in Teller Co. bout an hour west of the springs. I'm new to the area after moving from Illinois nearly two months ago now. My wife and I have spent alot of time in the great American west and had a dream to retire here. Now we are living that dream. In any event I'm real happy to be here and continue involvement in progressing the Appleseed goals.
So far I have met Eric aka esaybee and attended the AS in Laramie a couple weeks ago. I'm planning to attend the shoot here at the end of the month at Fountain and looking forward to meeting some of you there.
Also, I'll be SBing the April 17-18 shoot in Fountain as well. So let's just say I'm looking for a few Instructors and Instructors IT to make Fountain a fantastic shoot in April. :---
Looking forward to working/teaching with you all.
regards, Mike
719-689-2552
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Blue Skies

Hi Pete and Mike!  As of today, I will be bringing my wife, kids and brother to the Fountain AS in April.  I have not sent in my request to instruct there yet, but I will get that in ASAP.  I noticed there are NO SB's or Instructors of any kind signed up for Brighton that weekend, even though it is listed as being sold out.  If they need help there, and if they can fit my family in, I am thinking maybe there is a possibility we'll end up there.  I am flexible and would like to help out wherever I'm needed, so we'll just stay signed up for Fountain unless there turns out to be a dire need in Brighton.  If we come to Fountain, we'll probably bring our trailer and camp there. 

In any case, I'm looking forward to meeting Eric and the others I still haven't met!  Mike - my 12 y.o. son Alex just got approved to be an IIT, but he has not quite shot Rifleman yet.  Nickle approved the waiver last week  ^:)^, but I want him to keep working at it hard.  I want to have him shoot for score in Fountain to get that accomplished, and he'll also be ready for his IIT1 test by then.  Would you be willing to do that, and have an orange hat waiting for him?  :bow:

I did get in at Ben Lomond, BTW!  I am VERY happy to have a good place to shoot now.  :~
Take care!!
John

Colorado Pete

Good deal folks! I'm signed up for the Feb. and Apr. Fountain shoots and will do so for the following one in July (?).
Not sure about what's going on in Brighton for the Apr shoot though.

RifleWoman

Hi guys.  Brighton is the first event for 4/19 to sell out.  Way to go CO!!  I've been talking with Val and Zombie about the possibility that the line would be longer than we think it is.  More shooters the merrier.  So Brighton is going to need quite a few instructors with 42 on the line, so get signed up. 

Fountain is getting quite a few people signed up also, I've not noticed anything with Gunnison. 

We need some of you to hang up those Orange hats and get those red ones and preferable Green before 4/17  ;)

I think you all know who I am.  But I'm still learning who all of you are.  I used to know all the instructors and people on the forum.  Now I don't know hardly anybody let alone those from my own state. 

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

voortrekker

Quote from: RifleWoman on February 19, 2010, 10:05:28 PM
Brighton is the first event for 4/19 to sell out.  Way to go CO!!  

Good job Brighton, CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, a Texas event will be next.

Texans, are you listening.......Bueller.........Bueller........Bueller......Anyone.....Anyone........Anyone?

I'm getting fired up for the April 19th shoots!!!!   O0

:~ :~ :~ :~

Brett

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Sheepdog

Nice...."build it and they will come"  ^:)^ I can see now how important it isto havethe lions share of shoots when the weather is fair (I'm still not exactly sure when that is), sometime in the late spring through early fall. Those other 97% of rifle owners will be most likely to come out then.
Thanks to everyone who makes this tihing happen.  :bow:
Sheepdog

Quote from: RifleWoman on February 19, 2010, 10:05:28 PM
Hi guys.  Brighton is the first event for 4/19 to sell out.  Way to go CO!!  I've been talking with Val and Zombie about the possibility that the line would be longer than we think it is.  More shooters the merrier.  So Brighton is going to need quite a few instructors with 42 on the line, so get signed up. 

Fountain is getting quite a few people signed up also, I've not noticed anything with Gunnison. 

We need some of you to hang up those Orange hats and get those red ones and preferable Green before 4/17  ;)

I think you all know who I am.  But I'm still learning who all of you are.  I used to know all the instructors and people on the forum.  Now I don't know hardly anybody let alone those from my own state. 

esaabye

Great job Brighton. 

I am currently on the Gunnison list for April but can shift to the Fountain shoot if I am of better use, someone just let me know.  I will be bringing my son (10) as a participant as well.   I can not make the Feb shoot due to conflicts with Little League but have been talking it up where I can.  You may see my LTR's on the line without me.

I also just got my range pass for Frontier so if anyone wants to get out and shoot a bit let me know.

Colorado Pete

If the weather is not miserable Frontier is usually on my weekend to-do list...rifle or pistol. Need to get in some position work with the M1 though...

Ridge

Name is Dave. I live in Aurora. Attended the May Ramah shoot last year. Had a great time.

Getting ready to register for April Fountain, just waiting to hear back from a couple friends who want to come along to (active USMC).

Love the history. Put together a lightweight, basic rifle for this season's shoot, hope to get Rifleman this time around! History is great to listen to, as well.

Colorado Pete

Dave, we'll see ya there...only seven weeks out!

Sheepdog

Hey Dave, yea welcome. It will be good to have you and as many shooter as you can bring. Will look forward to seeing you there. Only seven weeks...better get busy.
Regards, Mike

Ridge

Anybody know of a decent motel near the Fountain Appleseed next month where a friend and I could crash for little cost? :)

Colorado Pete

There's a Super 8 (I think) just off exit 128 on the west side of I-25 behind the truckstop there. About 1/2 hour from the range, which is 'out in the middle of nowhere'.

Trin Tragula

Been awhile since I've been in here - thought I'd introduce myself again.  Spouse and I just signed up for Douglas WY AS in June.  My 3rd, her 2nd AS.  Taking the AR-15 this time.   

Sorry I missed out on the Virtual Muster II last night.  But it was caucus night here in Colorado on March 16 - glad I went.  Got selected as delegate to the county and state assemblies, and alternate to 4th congressional district assembly.  A bunch of us from the 9.12 groups up here got selected as delegates - now we'll have a say in which candidates get elected.

Will there be another Virtual Muster?  Is there a transcript somewhere for the VM II from last night?
My black rifle only "looks" evil.  It's the man behind it that counts.
Don't be afraid of me just because I have a black rifle.  Be afraid of those who would oppose freedom and what this country stands for.

Colorado Pete

Welcome back Trin! We met early last year when FunFaler came into Denver for an evening. Things are going to be busy here in CO this year!

Cora_Munro

Hi all,

This is Cora_Munro (Melody) checking in here.  I went to my first AS last summer in Ramah with my husband, my second in Brighton last fall and then IIT0'd at Ramah in November. I went to the Westminster IBC last winter after my first knee surgery, then had my left knee operated on, so I've been out of the loop for a bit! Due to the "free" registration I get as a woman, it's been easier for myself than for my husband to progress. I have no idea what level IIT I'm at now, since I do believe those levels get determined at an AS and not an IBC (somebody can clue me in on that if you'd like).

Ah, a little about myself...

I'm only 5' tall. I'm working on yelling loud enough so the older folks out on the line can hear my squeaky girl voice. You should hear me sometimes...I'm sure the neighbors kids think there's an old man in my apartment! I'm still technically a newlywed, and hopefully will be one forever  O0

I have a health based background and did a career switch to Library Science (so you could say I'm a gun-toting fit librarian...that's a picture!)

My husband and I own an online mall and look forward to retiring in a year or so from it. We're stoked about that, since we'd like to devote more time to AS as instructors.

I'm sure there's more to share, but I'm getting sleepy :)

I registered as a shooter for the Brighton AS last fall (for this April), but I think I might try and instruct part of it and be a student for the other part, if possible. I'd like to get my rifleman patch (the last shoot where I was a student, my front sight fell off so all my groups were beautifully tiny, but high and to the left!), but not sure if I can physically do it yet still (I have a hard time kneeling, getting up, etc).

Good night :)

Colorado Pete

Hey you! I wondered what happened to ya! I hope the other knee heals up fast. I'll be down at the Fountain shoot. Have fun!

Mudbug

Hello Everyone,

My name is Craig and I just registered for the May Ramah shoot since all the April shoots near me are full, that will teach me to wait until the last minute to register. :(   This will be my first shoot and I am looking forward to learning a lot. The press has been working the past couple evenings churning out ammo for the shoot.

Anyway I just wanted to say hello and offer logistic support for the May shoot if it can be utilized and will be happy to transport supplies and/or people from the Denver area. I have a crew cab pickup with a shell and a 14ft utility trailer if needed and will be staying at the Econolodge in Calhan that weekend.  Also willing to help with range setup and tear down if needed, I am sure that is sizable job in itself.

Please let me know if I can help.

Colorado Pete

Welcome Mudbug, and thanks for the offer of help! Much appreciated! Our target line goes up pretty quickly, but we may have two lines there in different berms, not sure. Our state coordinator (Franktown_kid) usually gets there on Friday afternoon (he's a club member) and sets up the lines then, I'm sure he'd appreciate help!
By the time you get through with the shoot you might be too tired to do anything but go home...!
See ya there!

Mudbug

Thanks Pete,

I will headed down early Friday afternoon as well, if I can help please let me know.