News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colorado Introductions

Started by esaabye, January 07, 2010, 09:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esaabye

Good for you Trin Tragula, stepping up when it counts.  Look forward to meeting you, see you on the trail.

Molon Labe 1775

Hi all, My name is Rob and I'm the in Thornton Colorado area. Just attended my first shoot at Fountain this past weekend with Bob "Redneck" and Colorado Pete and all the other instructors.  Had a great time and learned a lot.

Glad to be here.

Colorado Pete

Rob, do some rooting around on the site, lots of good stuff here, sometimes hard to locate though! Once you get access to the instructor section you can start studying the nuts and bolts stuff. You might want to peruse the History section for some good stories and reference material. Get a copy of the book "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer, that is the source for most of our history lesson. Also look at the After Action Review sections, good for learning how other shoots went. There are a few sections where new IIT contact info is put up as well.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Molon Labe 1775

Thanks Pete,

I ordered the book "Paul Revere's Ride" and a few other goodies from the store.

Just sent a message to Bob as well.

Thanks again
Rob

Sheepdog

We lured a couple IITs to join up. Skinner and John D. (dont know official screen name yet) stepped up. When you boys get this figured out, we want to hear from you.

Thanks for picking up the bucket!

Mike/Sheepdog
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Blue Skies

Rob, it was great having you at the Fountain shoot and we're very excited you stepped up!!  It looks like we might need to get another IBC set up for CO sometime soon with all the new IIT's that have come forward. 

Pete, special thanks to you for all the hard work you did to pull Fountain off without a hitch!  Great job, and it went off well despite the weather.  I'm looking forward to working with you again soon!  Great call on the pizza joint too, BTW.

Blue Skies
(John)

Molon Labe 1775

Hi John,

It was a great weekend!  All the instructors were really good  O0   

An IBC in Colorado sounds like a good time to me.

Hope to see you and your family at another shoot.

Rob

Colorado Pete

Thanks John! Oh, I reserved better weather too, but I think someone else got it...And it wouldn't have gone off at all if not for Rich's firing line setup!
The pizza shop I had in mind originally (it was near the Chinese Buffet place) was closed, so I kept driving up to the other one. Good stuff indeed.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr

esaabye

We got it in Gunnison (the better weather).  Had a lot of rain Friday night, so much mud that only a 4x4 could get close but then we setteled in and had a great Saturday.  Only weather come up during the nationwide Redcot, lightning and hail for 10 minutes during the COF then blue skies for the rest of the weekend.  4 rifleman and 1 iit on day one, had to leave a bit early on Sunday so not sure on the finish yet but a good group, 24 on Sat, 16 or 17 on Sunday.

What a great way to spend a weekend!

Erebus

My name is John Daniels.  I'm fairly new to the forum, but I've been to three Appleseeds.  Scored 211 at the last one, and took an orange hat on the way out.  I live in Longmont.  I'm a full time student with a part time job, and an e-commerce business.  I love freedom, engaging conversations, and just about anything gun-related. 

To anyone in the area who wants to go shooting; contact me and we can find a time.

Sheepdog

Quote from: esaabye on April 20, 2010, 11:12:19 PM
We got it in Gunnison (the better weather).  Had a lot of rain Friday night, so much mud that only a 4x4 could get close but then we setteled in and had a great Saturday.  Only weather come up during the nationwide Redcot, lightning and hail for 10 minutes during the COF then blue skies for the rest of the weekend.  4 rifleman and 1 iit on day one, had to leave a bit early on Sunday so not sure on the finish yet but a good group, 24 on Sat, 16 or 17 on Sunday.

What a great way to spend a weekend!
:--- :--- :---

Yep! ^:)^

passinthru

I am visiting Grand Junction (from homebase in San Diego), and talked up the Appleseed Shoots at a local gun store.  They are willing to display literature, etc., but I don't seem to see any shoots near Grand Junction.  Can someone from Colorado contact me?............thanks..........steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

I am home in San Marcos CA, northern San Diego County.  I had a great time shooting at the BLM range just West of Walker Field Airport in Grand Junction, and Sunday afternoon at the Grand Junction Trap Range on 32nc rd next to the drag-strip.
I sure would appreciate someone on the Western Slope to contact me so some Appleseed Literature can make its way into one of the biggest private gun stores in Grand Junction  ---- unless, that is, there is not an Appleseed presence in the area yet, which sure would be a BIG SHAME!!!!!.................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

esaabye

Send a PM over to Franktown_Kid.  As far as I know we do not have anyone one the West slope but we do in Gunnion and I am sure some of us would be up for a little roadtrip.

Colorado Pete

Al Smith (also his forum name) and the Gunnison crew have been looking to expand their sites, maybe they will chime in. For those of us on the Front Range (east of the mountains), a carpool road trip (to share the gas!) will take about 5-6 hours to reach Grand Junction from here.
Thanks for the tip on the BLM range, maybe something to plan for on an upcoming weekend.

passinthru

Just got home from shooting trap at my local range.  Did send a P.M. to Franktown_Kid, awaiting his response.
I think the Western Slope is ripe for Appleseed development...................steve
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

Colorado Pete;  re. BLM ranges.
    Go NorthEast on Horizon Drive from I-70, negotiate traffic circle prior to Walker Field Airport, go West on H Road, go North on 27 1/4 Road, continue as it turns to dirt/gravel, bear left at the 'Y' (seems to be a continuation of the correct road, but actually becomes 27 & 35/100 Road, go figure) continue issueing dust columns from the undercarriage of your vehicle.   There will be a sign on the right announcing the rifle range, continue past this sign to come to the pistol range sign.  Not sure if you could have a shoot at either BLM Range due to the 'closing to puble issue'.  Both ranges use the Bookcliff formation as back up. 
    Just as you leave the traffic circle, there is the regional BLM building on your left, probably a great place to ask questions re; above ranges, or perhaps other ranges in immediate area.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,steve
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

newone

Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself.  I have been to 3 shoots so far, and helped out in Ramah last weekend.  This is my moniker I guess (I had to go dig it up to see what my logon was :-).  My name is Frederick if you met me at the shoot last week.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
BisonTactical

4 MOA or Bust

Howdy everyone.  I'm Kevin.  I was the guy with the FN FAL and the torn-up elbows at Ramah last weekend.

I had a great time despite the state of my body on Sunday afternoon.  I was really bummed not to shoot for a score on the AQT.  However, I learned TONS and met lots of nice folks.

For those of you in the Colorado Springs area, can you recommend a range that has both 25 yard and 200/300 yard ranges and that's within 30 minutes of the Springs?  Last weekend made it painfully clear to me I need more practice.

esaabye

For ranges you have limited options.  Frontier Sportsman http://frontiersportsman.org/ is my home range, located in Falcon and in Fountain.  Has 7 - 300 at the Falcon site and 0-300 at the Fountain site (this is where the Fountain Appleseed's are held)

You can do Dragonman for 10/day out to 200ys but not my favorite place.  Other then those 2 it is off to the mountains (hour plus).

If you woukld like to get out to the Falcon range just let me know, would be happy to take you or anyone as a quest.

I am planning some range time this Friday (day off) if anyone is interested.

Cora_Munro

is Ramah not close enough to the springs to shoot? From what I remember it was about a 45 minute drive...right? That's not TOO far for a good range to play at. Just a thought.

Wanderer

Hey so I'm Anthony (Wanderer) an IIT in Southern California, but I'll be moving to Dillon, CO for the winter to work at one of the resorts for November - May. Would be great to get a shoot going up in the mountains, though I'll be working most weekends I can try to come help teach.

If anyone is in the area I'd love to meet some shooting partners. I'm 25/male moving up there not knowing anyone - Always down for snow hikes & shoots
This is America.

al smith

Howdy folks.  My name is al. I live in crested butte, north of Gunnison. I roast coffee and run a few shop in the area.  We have a great range to shoot at on cowboys property.  We shoot  AS at 25, KD @ 100 and have steel to 300.  Instructor can also shoot off the top os his hill to about 2000 yards on fridays before shoots.

Please have passinthru PM me with whatever range contacts are available in GJ.  We would love to shoot in GJ in the fall/winter/spring.  It is pretty warm in  summer.

If wanderer is in the neighborhood, check in.  Shootin is almost as much fun as teachin shootin.  We like to shoot and have Alot of Room to do it.

That's all for now folks.

Thank you all for your efforts.

al smith
al smith

Colorado Pete

Wanderer, keep in touch. Winter up there can put a stop to about everything except skiing, including making it over the high pass roads, like Hoosier Pass on Rt 9 directly south of Dillon and Breckenridge, which is the pass between Dillon and my stomping grounds. Maybe we can 'meet in the middle' in South Park on the south side of Hoosier some time.

Prone to Knit

Hello, Colorado!

I'm Kim, wife of oneshot_onehole Jim Heath, 22+ years.

I've shot a rifle about a dozen times over 40 years and got my Rifleman patch at the Ladyseed in Ramah on September 26th. I also accepted an orange hat.

Jim came up with my screen name, Prone to Knit, which references shooting and my love of knitting. Clever man!

I look forward to serving with you in this noble cause.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Colorado Pete

Welcome Kim!! Glad to see you volunteered, Jim needs some adult supervision out there (as do the rest of us guys!)

coloradomike

Hey yall,

This is Mike. I was at the shoot this weekend in Ramah and took the orange hat, so I thought I'd drop in and post something here.

I normally work at least one job on weekends, but as long as I know ahead of time I can get it off. Hopefully I'll be able to help some people improve their marksmanship while working on my own!

Looking forward to getting more involved in the organization here. If there's anything I can do to help, send me a PM.

Mike

Sheepdog

Hey all,
Just started the AAR after the Ramah shoot. For all involved many thanks!!! :bow:
If you have a moment, please add some words to the AAR. If possible mention people (shooters) by name as appropriate. This is kind of a "follow through" for us and is another chance to favorably reflect Appleseed and give them a warm and fuzzy enhancing the possibility of their return.
Thanks again, Mike/Sheepdog

Colorado Pete

Welcome Colorado Mike! We'll put you to work, never fear!
Our next CO shoot is Nov. 13th-14th up at Brighton, about 30 mins northeast of Denver. You might want to try to make that one. After that, I'm not sure, perhaps a cold one out at Gunnison.

Keep your eyes peeled for an Instructor Boot Camp (IBC) coming up, that's a weekend event you'll want to make.

Prone to Knit

Awesome, Mike, that you decided to join up with us. You'll be a great addition to the team. I'm sure we'll work on many shoots together.

Maybe you can get your whole family to an event someday. Would love to see Sarah and Mary, as well as your parents (for a second AS). Wouldn't that be fun for you to coach them!

Like Jim said, please let us know anytime you need help or questions answered.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org