News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jericho, VT Oct. 20/21 2007

Started by crak, October 21, 2007, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crak

Heading home from Jericho and just HAD to mention an Appleseed first! 

One shooter was so inspired by our Step Seven talk that he left his rifle on the 600 yard line with a full mag.  No doubt he rode off in the spirit of Paul Revere to wake up his family, friends, neighbors, politicians, and clergymen with a fire that would make all of us (even the Guy) look like little old churchladies. 

Several others volunteered to "take care" of the AR until he returned from his mission (if ever) but somehow Nickle ended up with it.  Reports of a 37 man mudwrestling royal rumble for the privilege will have been greatly exaggerated by the time you hear them.

Anyway, R.S.... Godspeed.  RWVA salutes you.
Check your drama at the door.

Nickle

Yup, I've got it, already spoke to RS over the phone.

Already made arrangements to get it back to him.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Old Dog

In the spirit of the 4 safety rules I'm sure the magazine was lying beside the rifle, not inserted in it, right?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Vermontagnard

The word I got was that he was so disgusted with the 5.56mm round that he left that CAR-15 for the jackals, and went off jabbering about "...need an...M-1...Garaaaaaaaaand...need an...M-1...Garrrrrrrand...30-06...wind...too much, Spock...need an..."

He was also clinically insane, too - dude got like 3 hits at 100 yards, 3 at 200 yards, zero at 300 yards, then shot the hell out of the black at 400 yards with 100% hits. That's not just insane - given these trying times - thats truly hideous.

I might be wrong though.

Monty

Nickle

Quote from: M1A4ME on October 21, 2007, 09:40:20 PM
In the spirit of the 4 safety rules I'm sure the magazine was lying beside the rifle, not inserted in it, right?

Where were you hiding at? The chamber flag was in it, and the safety on, too. I've got the rifle, mag and chamber flag.

There's got to be a good explanation for it. Might have been getting hit by brass from the Romanian Dragunov that was there.

You know, folks, I'll be putting up a new After Action thread tomorrow sometime.

I will take the time to say we had a decent showing (37 Saturday, 35 Sunday), and got 4 New Riflemen over the weekend, including SGT Mac (an 11B Infantryman), a fellow VT Army Guardsman, that got his the HARD way, at Full Distance, shooting a 211. It wasn't a fluke, as he shot a 209 (Heartbreaker) at 25 Meters on Saturday. Using a rack grade M1A and South African ball ammo. No fancy sights. His friend, SGT Tib (a MEDIC), is probably shopping for a regular M1A now, after his SOCOM (aftermarkert stock) didn't shoot so well. Ripersnifle made the cut (231) as did TimJ (218) (Arfcom New England moderator, and I think he's Willard here) and Zach. A few others made the cut AGAIN, having done so at Proctor or Van Etten.

AND, the Northeast has 4 (FOUR) brand new IIT's. GMB74, Ripersnifle, luvBUSHmastrer (an Arfcomer) (that will be registering here soon) and Lee, that lives a few miles from me (known for lightning fast speed with a bolt gun).
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Vermontagnard

For the record, I had a blast...thanks Nickle and CRAK, good time, learned a lot, my observations in toto:

1. Separate out the Combloc shooters for extra attention, as they have more effort to put into zeroing their AKs and SKS weaps.
2. Issue everyone a complete set of targets when they arrive and sign in, and also issue each shooter a name tag with number for later separations and teaming.
3. Stick to hard times...targets up at 8:15, brief of 5, then adjust/reset for 5, then go hot...
4. I think if we do the central VT shoot, would it be best to pull people off the 25 yard line once they score qualified, then move them for practice on the 100-200-300-400 to get to know their come-ups or ramp settings (Combloc) at real ranges? I figure it might be worth a try...a guy shoots repeated 160-180s at 25 meters, yank him and send him for iterations at the real ranges to get a feel for wind, site adjustment, etc...

GREAT INSTRUCTION...GREAT FUN...GREAT PEOPLE...CEPT FOR THE DUDE WITH THE FACOG AND BIPOD AND LEAD BALANCERS AND BUBBLE LEVEL MOUNTED ON THE CAR-15 THAT HAD THE LASER GUIDED 5.56MM ROUNDS

Monty

raf

That is a first.

Never seen that done before.

Nickle

He was just excited about shooting at longer distances.

Actually, I found out he was down at the target pits, so that others could shoot at 600, and somebody suppossedly took care of the rifle for him.

Old Dog

Sorry, the post said, "he left his rifle on the 600 yard line with a full mag."  Just wanted to make sure.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

funfaler

Hey!

Are we overlooking that this could be the first AR donated to the program? ;D

Perhaps we should put it up for auction or raffle? 

This seems like a very generous fella and we should be sure to name a portion of the program after him or something :D

Leave it to Nickle to work a donation into a qualtiy shoot, over acheiveing again.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Willard

Quote from: Vermontagnard on October 21, 2007, 10:06:10 PM
GREAT INSTRUCTION...GREAT FUN...GREAT PEOPLE...CEPT FOR THE DUDE WITH THE FACOG AND BIPOD AND LEAD BALANCERS AND BUBBLE LEVEL MOUNTED ON THE CAR-15 THAT HAD THE LASER GUIDED 5.56MM ROUNDS

Monty

BWahahahahahaha........

change your screen name to "Jam-o-matic Monty" and I'll think about giving my Rifleman patch back. Not.

Nickle, crak, thanks again! I had a great time.

that guy with the mega hits at 400 was all over the place Saturday. it's a testament to the Appleseed that he wound up shooting MUCH better than when he started. Made doubly so by the outrageous antics of the guy to his left! He was so wound up he left his rifle behind.......

Old Dog

Man, those pictures make me home sick.  Look's like home.  The leaves are turning color their, too.  Hasn't snowed yet this year but sometimes they get and early one.  Hunting season has already started.  I'll bet the climate is about the same due to the altitude at home.

Looks like a good crowd working towards becoming a great bunch of riflemen.

just checked out the 10 day forecast for home.  The lows are basically the same (within a degree or two of each other).  The highs early in the week about the same, but you guys are getting a big drop in the highs at the end of the week. 

I'm gonna have to make a trip up there sometime and visit.

Vermontagnard

Nickle

Quote from: funfaler on October 21, 2007, 11:28:03 PM
Hey!

Are we overlooking that this could be the first AR donated to the program? ;D

Perhaps we should put it up for auction or raffle? 

This seems like a very generous fella and we should be sure to name a portion of the program after him or something :D

Leave it to Nickle to work a donation into a qualtiy shoot, over acheiveing again.

Naw, he wants it back, coming up Friday to get it in person.

But, you are right about getting a donation in. Frugal Squirrrel's (AKA, John's VT Gun Shop) is considering another couple of 10/22's. These will almost certainly go to another Instructor in the region.

Nickle

Hey Willard, here's a pic you didn't post here that were at Arfcom:

Can't see the smoke in the picture, but this Mosin is hot, just finished a Rapid Fire AQT. The handguard and forend were smoking hot.

I was going to post the pic of RS, but, he's embarrassed enough already. He was nice enough to work the pits after the 600 yard volley, with several other folks, allowing us to actually have the volley, and get out of there reasonable.

Willard

Quote from: Nickle on October 22, 2007, 08:30:38 PM

I was going to post the pic of RS, but, he's embarrassed enough already. He was nice enough to work the pits for the 600 yard volley, with several other folks, allowing us to actually have the volley.

he really improved over the weekend, and his hits at 400 were amazing.......another Appleseed success story!

Nickle

Got the pics off of one phone already (yes, my cell phone is also a 2 megapixel camera).

Sight Adjusting time on Sunday morning.

25 meter targets.

More Sight Adjusting, that's a 12 year old shooting that Romanian Dragunov, Fred will know him as the one that was dressed odd at Proctor.

Our 2 troops firing a Rapid Fire AQT, SGT Tib on the left, SGT Mac on the right.

Another shot of SGT Tib and SGT Mac shooting the Rapid Fire AQT. I heard a rumour that SGT Tib is looking for a rack grade M1A, instead of his SOCOM in the fancy tactical (collapsible) stock. I think SGT Mac shooting Rifleman with his M1A had something do with that.

100 yard line.

Close up of the 100 yard line.

Nickle

100 yard AQT, a 14 year old with an M14, a wonderful sight.

Crak coaching a young lad of 10, and the young man finally ended up outshooting his dad.

200 yard line.

200 yards looks a little bigger here.

400 yard line.

400 yard line firing.

600 yards, boy them targets are SMALL.

Shooters on the line at 600.

Vermontagnard

What was the highest hit count at 600, Nickle?

Monty

Nickle

I'm going to have to check the targets for that one.

crak

RiperSnifle put all ten on paper, and I believe eight of those were in the target.

Nickle

Quote from: crak on October 23, 2007, 11:32:45 AM
RiperSnifle put all ten on paper, and I believe eight of those were in the target.

He's going to be a really good addition to the Instructor Pool.

Vermontagnard

8/10 on target at 600, 7-10 knot x-wind, higher gusts...goooooooooooooooooooood shooting.

Monty

Fred

A remarkable shoot. Nickle, you haven't made enough fuss about this being the FIRST Appleseed to shoot 600 yards. 25 meters? sniff... ;D ;D ;D

That, and the experience this weekend in AZ where, in high winds, the public side of the range was closed, the CMP packed up and left for the day - but RWVA engineers swung into action, and the Appleseeders staked down the targets and shot in the blowing dust (and target frames!), in the great - and growing - tradition of the program!

I love it!

We outdo them all!

(And tell that 12-year-old, that if he wants to avoid the clown bat next time I'm in NE, to get that trigger leg up tight... ;D)

PS: 8/10 on the six hundred yard target is about right for ball ammo and rack-grade rifle...the shooter was doing his job. 8)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

crak

Had quite a few shooters who didn't like to bring their legs up and dragged wood like it was their job.

All I remember thinking was "Man, if this gets on camera, Fred's gonna tear us a new one"

;D ;D ;D

Nickle

Quote from: Fred on October 23, 2007, 01:37:07 PM

A remarkable shoot. Nickle, you haven't made enough fuss about this being the FIRST Appleseed to shoot 600 yards. 25 meters? sniff... ;D ;D ;D

Well, I guess I should make a big deal of it. I didn't fully realize it was a first. First 600 yard fired  at an Appleseed in the First state to join the Union, on a range named after a Revolutionary War hero.

Part of the reason I don't make such a deal of it is simple. 25 meters is HARDER than the real deal, with 2 exceptions, those being wind, and elevation changes. 2 areas we'll be working on.

SGT Mac proved that 25 meter performance will indicate performance at Full Distance. He shot a 209 on a Rapid Fire AQT on Saturday afternoon, and a 211 on the Full Distance AQT on Sunday. With a rack grade M1A and South African ball ammo.

That, and the experience this weekend in AZ where, in high winds, the public side of the range was closed, the CMP packed up and left for the day - but RWVA engineers swung into action, and the Appleseeders staked down the targets and shot in the blowing dust (and target frames!), in the great - and growing - tradition of the program!

I love it!

We outdo them all!

Yes, we do outdo them ALL! That's been noted by so many people.

(And tell that 12-year-old, that if he wants to avoid the clown bat next time I'm in NE, to get that trigger leg up tight... ;D)

He's been told already, and he's usually good about it. I'll make sure he knows that's part of the reason his scores were down on the Full Distance AQT. FWIW, his 14 year old brother was using a Fed Ord M14 (rack grade) and Reman'ed M80 Ball Ammo, and put a whupping on him, for a change. The 14 year old knew to pull his leg up, and keep it that way.

PS: 8/10 on the six hundred yard target is about right for ball ammo and rack-grade rifle...the shooter was doing his job. 8)

Wasn't ball ammo or a rack grade rifle. Really good ammo in a tweaked AR with a good scope. That would be ripersnifle, our newest IIT. It was a .223, and Monty wasn't exaggerating about the wind. I'll be looking into what SGT Mac did at 600, that should be telling.

Fred, you're going to HAVE to be up for the next one at Ethan Allen Firing Range, just to see it to believe it.

Crak and I can drive down south and hog tie you and bring you back. I'm sure Mrs Fred would help us.

Willard

You know, everyone seems to forget that it rained, for a while, on Saturday. It looked like it was going to be a giant squall with a torrential downpour, like the mountains can make clouds look. Everyone donned rain gear and kept on trucking, without talk of abandoning their positions.

I have to say, that one thing impressed me. Thankfully the rain let up and Saturday finished dry, and Sunday was about as perfect a Fall day as you could conjur in Vermont in late October, wind and all.

Nickle, thanks again. EAFR is the best kept secret in New England.

<<<<<<Who do I see about getting "newbie" changed to "Rifleman"?  ;D

Nickle

Quote from: Willard on October 23, 2007, 04:13:14 PM
You know, everyone seems to forget that it rained, for a while, on Saturday. It looked like it was going to be a giant squall with a torrential downpour, like the mountains can make clouds look. Everyone donned rain gear and kept on trucking, without talk of abandoning their positions.

I have to say, that one thing impressed me. Thankfully the rain let up and Saturday finished dry, and Sunday was about as perfect a Fall day as you could conjur in Vermont in late October, wind and all.

Well, all the students were from the Northeast, and we all know how the weather is. Everybody just sucked it up and drove on.

You know, there wasn't one person there with ego problems all weekend. That's always a really GOOD thing.

You should've been there Friday night, when the front blew through. 50+ MPH gusts (more like 70+) and pouring rain. It tapered off after a while, and the wind died down to about 30 MPH. One tent got the poles broken (not mine) and every tent got wet inside, some more than others.

Quote from: Willard on October 23, 2007, 04:13:14 PM

Nickle, thanks again. EAFR is the best kept secret in New England.

<<<<<<Who do I see about getting "newbie" changed to "Rifleman"?  ;D

Newbie is an indicator of post count.

You can update your profile, though. PM incoming.

JpGrl

This was one of the most amazing experiences my husband (Fitz) and I have had the pleasure be a part of. Nickle & Crak did an awesome job explaining and demonstrating the basics (as it turns out I was having trouble with every single one of them) and the group in general was really pleasant & fun to be around.

I did get a bit frustrated with myself a few times because it seemed I was struggling to put all the basics together at the same time and make them sing in harmony. I don't think I ever got a good zero because of this. I will persevere and do my homework and I'll be back! Rifleman is my goal and you have given me the tools to attain it.

Fitz and I are researching ranges here in New Hampshire that would be willing to host an Appleseed shoot. You haven't heard the last from us.  8)
"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils."
-General John Stark

ripersnifle

Fellas,

On #17 I held dead on with BH68gr in my target rig & less wind.
All on paper, 8/10 in the target.
The wind only blew that group a foot left.
On #18 I held a foot right with AE55gr in my "rack grade" with noticable wind.
7/10 on paper about 2 feet left, can't remember how many in the target.
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.
(I would have been happy with just one hit at 600)
Looking forward to next spring.
Nickle & Crak, Thanks again.

sk

Proctor 408