News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania 2010

Started by Frontsight, December 22, 2009, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frontsight

Hi All - I was looking to figure out my AS schedule for 2010 and I can't find any PA Appleseeds listed for next year.  Am I looking in the wrong place or could this possibly be the real state of affairs?  Hope to see everyone real soon and have a very Merry Christmas or holiday of your choice.

Thanks, Frontsight

mooney

No we have a few for 2010, just haven't had time to resubmit the forms to get them on the schedule. Will be doing that soon.

Manheim is still monthly starting in January
Beaver Springs and Reade Range are on for April 17/18

Waiting on dates from Cowdog for his DAR
Chambersburg is on hold for now
I don't know about Halstead yet.

Mooney
PA SC
Mooney

EZ3

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Frontsight

Mooney - Thank You.  I really appreciate your work as state coordinator.  I look forward to getting a Red Hat this year and doing my part to help.  Did you ever get a final answer on your Garand kaboom?  I am interested because I got my CMP Garand a few months ago and have only run a few hesitant rounds through it.  There's nothing like seeing a rifle blow up to cool your enthusiasm for it.  Anyhow, thanks again and have a happy one.

John

Cowdog

The Tim Murphy  DAR is open for business Any time once per month in May June July August September and early October. I would go earlier, but the primitive road would make that a hike-in situation---no sense having our shooters start out cold wet and tired.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Big H

Quote from: mooney on December 22, 2009, 01:30:29 PM
No we have a few for 2010, just haven't had time to resubmit the forms to get them on the schedule. Will be doing that soon.

Mooney
PA SC

Until you have time to submit the official forms, can you post the confirmed Manheim dates here? I need to arrange the time off.

mooney

OK, here are the dates for confirmed shoots in 2010:

Manheim, PA  DAR (always on the 3rd weekend):
Jan 16/17 - 20 shooters
Feb 20/21 - 20 shooters
March 20/21 - 30 shooters
April 17/18 - 30 shooters
May 15/16 - 30 shooters
June 19/20 - 30 shooters
July 17/18 - 30 shooters
Aug 21/22 - 30 shooters
Sept 18/19 - 30 shooters
Oct 16/17 - 30 shooters
Nov 20/21 - 30 shooters
Dec 18/19 - 30 shooters

Allemans, PA:
April 17/18

Chambersburg, PA:
April 17/18

Beaver Falls, PA:
April 24/25

I have not talked to Cowdog yet to confirm exact dates for May-Sept yet, but hope to soon. I need to find out who the contact was for Halstead, PA as I wasn't the one who set that one up last year. I hope that helps.

The confirmed events have been submitted and should be on the schedule soon.

Mooney
PA SC

Quote from: Big H on January 04, 2010, 11:36:17 PM
Quote from: mooney on December 22, 2009, 01:30:29 PM

Mooney
PA SC

Until you have time to submit the official forms, can you post the confirmed Manheim dates here? I need to arrange the time off.
Mooney

Big H

Quote from: mooney on January 05, 2010, 03:23:16 PM
OK, here are the dates for confirmed shoots in 2010:
Great, thanks! Now we'll work on growing enough Red Hats for all the April Appleseeds.  O0

mooney

Quote from: Frontsight on December 22, 2009, 07:29:47 PM
Mooney - Thank You.  I really appreciate your work as state coordinator.  I look forward to getting a Red Hat this year and doing my part to help.  Did you ever get a final answer on your Garand kaboom?  I am interested because I got my CMP Garand a few months ago and have only run a few hesitant rounds through it.  There's nothing like seeing a rifle blow up to cool your enthusiasm for it.  Anyhow, thanks again and have a happy one.

John

Thanks John.

My M1 Garand officially (explained to me by an M1 expert gunsmith after inspection by Orion 7 in NY) had an out of battery explosion because of a unusual modified hammer. Seems somewhere in the hammers history someone felt the need to grind off what I've been told is a locking lug. It's meant to be one of the safety features that John Garand designed into the rifle. The lug is the last safety feature to make sure the bolt is all the way home and locked before firing. Without it my bolt probably hung up from power build up after the 100+ rounds we had gone through. It didn't close all the way, but was still close enough to hit the firing pin and the round. I had to replace a bunch of parts, and still need a stock, but I should have it ready to shoot again in the Spring. I'd recommend you have your M1 Garand looked at by a gunsmith just to be sure you have no issues. They told me my issue was rare, they have only seen a total of maybe 5 of these hammers like mine surface so it's not common but could show up agian. No one seems to know why this lug would ever need to be removed, but weirder things have happened with these rifles through out their history.
Mooney

Frontsight

Glad you are all right bud.  Thanks for all your organizing efforts too.  I hope to see you at a couple of shoots this year.  I checked the hammer on my Garand and it has the locking hook or lug intact.  It was still a little exciting shooting it for the first time.  Thanks again and see you soon.

John