News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

28 inches at Calverton

Started by kDan, December 20, 2009, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

That's right.  28 inches on a remote range behind about fifteen hills on private land that is used to quarry sand.  This range requires a 4x4 in the SUMMER!  well, practically.  I did make it back there on my kawasaki last July, but with both feet out like an eight-year old, spinning, sliding and biting my bleeding lip.  didn't dump it tho it looked like it.

If the snow melts are we any better off?  Suffice to say, I don't know of any AS that's been cancelled because of a blizzard, and I hope this is not the first, but we just gotta keep our eyes on this, NY'ers.  Harry says he can't even get back there.  He spent 3 hours digging out his jeep only to then leave it in the square of clearance, surrounded by 2 1/2 feet of god's grace.   :sos:

This promises to be a very special event.  Let's hope we can get in there. 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Garand69

Woooo Hoooo, that sounds like one serious Team Building Exercise there! WI and MN must be fuming mad about this turn of events!!! What will WI do if you folks pull off an incredible event such as this????

Here they went and booked a two-day January shoot and cancelled one day for weather, and you guys have the opportunity to really put them to shame!

Illinois has a "Below Zero" patch that was earned by those who "chose to froze" to build IL's first DAR in below zero weather. I'm thinking a 20"+ patch would be quite fitting here!!

At the April 19th shoot at our DAR, we needed to borrow a couple of 4wd Gators, to move all the shooters, guns, and gear down the muddy trail of tears to the firing line and back. Any chance you can get a few snowmobiles signed on to help get everyone to the line? I also reccommend renting a few Insulated Concrete Curing Blankets to put down on the firing line. The shooters will be toasty warm while in prone.

I gaar-uuun-tee that those who show up, will end up being some of your finest volunteers in 2010.

I wish I could be there, but I have to settle for raiding WI in January 2010!

Good Luck.
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

kDan

Thanks Garand69.  There is a thread on LongIslandFirearms.com that's been debating this event.

http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1261015832/s-0/

I just posted there and feel like sharing it with you all.  Here is my post in it's entirety for those of you who don't feel the need to check the thread.  I think you'll get the gist of it from my rhetorical tap-dance.

--------------------------------

Okay people, here's the deal.  Somebody asked for a Sunday/Monday shoot, and they got it.  What's wrong with that?

The week-end between Christmas and New Years is never a good time to schedule anything.  So what?  If you can't come, you don't have to.

Viet Vet has been breaking his back trying to make this happen and I know he's pretty frustrated at this point, which warms my heart and heats my blood at the same time.  Thank you brother! 

I'm Shoot Bossing this event.  I will be there.  Calverton is buried in 24 inches of snow.  Maybe it'll be under control by Sunday, but if not - what do we do?  Well, how bout this?...  Anybody got a snow-mobile?  I'm serious.  If we can get a couple rigs out there, or even just one, we can shuttle shooters and gear to the line.  If we cannot get skooters for the shooters, and we can't drive out to the line (not the normal line, but back in the woods a bit), then we will hike.  Yes, that's right.  I have a dodge stratus with about six inches of clearance and only two wheels that spin on their own.  I expect to be humping an eighty pound shoot box through the snow to the firing line.  That's in addition to the poles, wire, tools and cardboard for a target line.  I'll be dragging my son's red plastic sled.  Yes, I have a family, and I'm going to this event.  By this time next year, I will be sure to own a pair of snow shoes if not a pack of malamutes.  I don't expect Harry will mind if we grab some brush and make a little warming fire for the folks that have the swing to get out there.  If you can't hike a mile through a foot of snow with a rifle, mat, and ten pounds of ammo, then enjoy the time with your family.  Nobody is going to blame you.  If you can do it, and you have a pair of church bells for leg-warmers, then meet me there and we'll get rounds down range, and you will come away a better shooter I promise you that.

Another thing we can use, as suggested by an AS instructor, is concrete curing blankets to use as shooting mats.  I don't even know what these are, but if you have some, bring them.

Those of you who have too much experience to attend an appleseed, you are invited to stay home.  At the same time, if you are truly a Rifleman and a Patriot already, then please come out, prove it to yourself OUR way, and I'll try to convince you to take the orange hat so you can help run these events at your leisure next year.  This is the premier shooting organization in the country. 

Who's the idiot that made this happen?  Well, it was a handful of dedicated morons that are trying to collaborate with the under-served shooters of Long Island.  There are a lot of under-served shooters on Long Island.  There are a very few of us, and we're over-worked.  We want you on our team.

If you show up, you will attend an historic Appleseed Event.  We WILL do this.  If you can't make this special off-set event but would like to attend the next one, well... when you show up at that one we'll be happy to tell you all about the event you missed.

If you can't make Sunday, then come on Monday.  If you have to wait 'til spring, well we'll see you then. 

Robfather62 - yes you can smoke and a .22 is a perfect Appleseed rifle (hopefully it's a semi-auto and has good adjustable sights or at the very least a scope).  Bring 4 x 10 round mags and only about 750 rounds.  We'll probably not get as much shooting done as usual what with the logistics of the airlift and all.

kDan
RWVA Senior Instructor
1 (800) WAA-AAAH
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

sgtrock

I have enough curing blankets to cover 6 ft x 100 ft long,,  They are 6ft wide x 25ft long,  per blanket, will be covered for that,, plus I have snow shoes as well,, I can hump a heavy load at least that far,, Don't have a snowmobile anymore  !@#) but oh well, I'm still planning on coming though as scheduled,, I might have one of the kids [yea I'm a dad too at 51] old sled kicking around here somewhere.. Should be a great character building event, plus I'll bring my big blue tarp it's been lucky in the past with 8 rifleman patches being earned off it,,    sgtrock

Garand69

THERE WE GOOOOO!!! This is going to be rough on the Mid-West, I have already been stirring the pot!

Hope you stir up some shooters, but remember, if you only get one, make sure you leave the range with all of their contact info, they will be an asset!!!

Come on New York ! You can't pass this shoot up! There is nothing better to do those dates...trust me, If you are American enough to take the challenge, you will leave the shoot... with #1-the knowledge to be a better American, #2-the knowledge to better a better Marksman, #3 wishing you could have been there another 2 days,,,,,, and #4 bragging rights that not only cover all of your buddies who chose to sit on a couch those days, but the entire Appleseed Forum!!!

Wish you all Luck
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

crak

Dan:

It'll be fine. The snow is only a paper tiger.  2 feet of solid snow is about what we had to deal with in Athol last year.  Here's what we did:

Park the cars close as you can and then hoof the rest of the junk to the line.  The first couple people will be blazing the trail but after that everybody follows in their footsteps and makes a path.  Keep that same idea when making a path to and from the target line... don't let everybody just run up straight from their spots or else the path will never form.  Mr. Twigg had a burn barrel going for people to warm up around and Mrs. Twigg brought hot lunch to the clubhouse. 

As long as you're dressed for it, it's no big deal.  Even if it's snowing during, that's more funny than annoying.  Unless things get wet (freezing rain in Colebrook, boots that weren't snowproof in Athol...   :wb:).  Then things start to deteriorate.  But a backup pair of dry gloves gives another few hours of feeling fine.

Things to watch out for: Make sure no barrels get into it and people leave the rifles uncased when they get home so air takes care of the condensation.  Mats/Tarps get real slippery during transitions. 

As long as everybody's active they'll be warm enough.  If you want, throw up some pictures of Athol, Colebrook, or Manheim to show those guys it'll be fine.
Check your drama at the door.

B9

Very nice kDan.

That's what was needed. A little fatherly firmness to get people re-focused.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

sgtrock

Seeesh, This ain't nothin, look at the weather for Calv, this weekend the snow will be gone,, but if it ain't,
           It will make for a Glorious Range Day Sergeant!!!!!!!!!,,       Wars, Battles ,be it soft or down and dirty,, never takes a holiday, niether should we,,
  I'm comin from 6 hrs away to be there ,we'll shoot,, much rather have snow than mud,, but then again it don't much matter none,,
     Remember, anytime, anyplace, anywhere,, you have to be ready,,,, sgtrock

Another D.O.M.

Once the sun comes out and the warm breeze from the ocean begins working on that snow, it'll be down to almost nothing by the 27th.  Remember, Long Island is completely surrounded by water that's quite a bit warmer than the freezing point.  And, as sgtrock has stated, the forecast is for temps in the 40s and 50s from Thursday on.

Another thought:  if you can't get your hands on a pair of snowmobiles or a snow cat, I would think that someone amongst the two boards (Appleseed and LI Firearms) knows someone with a Pinzgauer 712 or a Dodge WC62.  A fellow out in CO says he 'porpoised' his Pinz 712M through 46" of snow during a storm in the Rockies (stopping along the way to help/laugh at Jeep and Hummer owners who were stuck - but I digress); and both vehicles were designed to transport a dozen soldiers w/ gear.  This might not be necessary for Calverton this weekend, but it's good to have a backup plan for 'just in case'...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Garand69

Well I suggest you folks get to work saving that snow!!  **)
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

MeanStreaker

Quote1 (800) WAA-AAAH

That right there is funny.   ;D
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

desertrat144

28"of snow, not bad!  Some ideas that may help- if you can't get your hands on snow machines or an Arctic Cat, you might consider cross country skis, along with toboggans or Army style sleds.  Best shot from an Arctic Cat is to talk with TV/commercial radio stations/ Ham Radio groups that have their repeaters on mountain tops.   :sos:  They have to move repair parts for the stations transmitters- they are bulky & heavy!  

The next step would be to get about 5 or 6 Cross Country skiers together to move supplies via toboggans.   ~~:) ~~:)

If you're near Ft. Drum, the surplus stores around there should be able to assist with getting things. Another idea re: Ft. Drum, the 10th Mountain Division folks might help if approached individually.

Some random thoughts from someone that used to do snow projects.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Vergeltung

Vergeltung

so what's up with this shoot? I have completely disassosiated myself from LIF, so I have no idea what's going on from that end. I have not been involved in promoting this shoot, or in the planning etc. I am, however, a regular out at Calverton and Harry and his staff know me well.

what's the status so far? you're probably looking at some ground snow, and thankfully, it's sandy out there, so you won't have much mud and stuff.

just wondering. hope it goes well.  :)

kDan

In the vernacular of the times - It's ONN!

I'll be there at 7:30am, at the end of the road, wherever that may be.  My car is packed and stored in the warehouse where I'm sleeping tonight so I can wake up, pop the door and be on the LIE in like 3 minutes.

BOTG says snow is depleted, but he still hasn't made it back there to our line.  The snow in NYC washed away today in the rain.  It was like magic, but we've got more rain and more snow coming thanks to that mid-western storm, so really...  I don't know.  We've got 20 pre-regs.  Not bad considering five days ago we had 7.  Either way it's gonna be fun.  Got at least four 4x4 trucks coming, so we probably won't have to hike.

Anybody reading this that's coming, please bring a laser bore sighter in case anybody's a mile off paper, and any dummy 30-06 or 308 rounds for b+d.  All my stuff is at a cabin in PA.   

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Vergeltung