News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA AAR December 12-13, 2009 -- Distant Thunder

Started by SavageShootr, December 14, 2009, 02:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageShootr

The last Corona, CA Appleseed of the year, and what an Appleseed it was! Rain, snow on the mountaintops, and some thunder on Sunday to top it off.

We had plenty of rain on Saturday, as well as a bit on Sunday. I was honored to be among such great Americans. The men and women who came out this weekend, in the rain, are definitely not "Sunshine Patriots"

Thank you to all of the folks that showed up. We had one Rifleman, Ryan, with a score of 214, a repeat Appleseeder. There were several others getting close to Rifleman. They will make it next time! Ryan has accepted the orange hat of the IIT. He will be a great addition to the CA Instructor crew. Welcome aboard Ryan!!

There was so much rain that the range flooded. A huge Thank You to Scavenger for spending time on range improvements. He made a few dams to divert water flow away from the line. It was much appreciated.

I also want to thank the rest of the Instructors for coming out in the rain to teach their fellow Americans rifle marksmanship and Heritage. Thanks Johnnyappleseed, Socalserf, 22calgal, Recruiter, Scavenger, Asminuteman, and NewMOe. It was a pleasure working with all of you. See you on the trail!

I'm exhausted. I'll add more later.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Rocket Man

Hey gang, this is Ryan checking in.  Let me give a big THANK YOU to all the red 'n orange hats for playing in the mud with us all weekend -- you got up even earlier and were even colder and wetter than we were...

I had a blast.  Like you all say, being a Rifleman means persisting, and sometimes persisting means finding the bright side:

• You say the firing line is six inches deep in mud?  I say it's nice and soft like a mattress, and stable too!
  • You say your lousy ammo's misfiring about once per mag?  I see ball and dummy practice!
  • You see it pouring down buckets of rain?  I see that only proves those who showed up are the real steel, true Americans who want to make a difference so badly that nothing will keep us on the couch.  You can't fake that spirit.

Let me also thank all the instructors -- you definitely made a difference.  All I had to do was listen.  Off the top of my head:

Laylopro, who got me to keep my darn elbow straight and my burrito hand unclenched back in September
NewMoe, who lent me some match ammo, which encouraged my cheap rounds to cooperate
Recruiter, who got my chicken wing where it belongs
SoCalSerf, for getting my trigger knee forward
ASMinuteman, for helping me get into prone faster
22calgal, for the fabulous retelling of American heritage from the female perspective
Scavenger, for making sure we had a range on Sunday, and not just a lake
JohnnyAppleseed, for target analysis and all around encouragement
SavageShootr, for running a tight ship, and getting me over the hump

... and the stirring history, and all the work behind the scenes, and everything else that went by in a blur.

It was also marvellous to shoot with such great folks.  Sunday, the four of us on the right all cleaning up on the first stage, that was something.  Teamwork gets it done.

I still have plenty to learn.  But sometimes the best way to learn and to give back is to teach -- you all know that and have already blazed the trail.  I'll see you there.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

SavageShootr

Rocket Man,

Great first post!!

It was an honor and a distinct priviledge to work with you on the line. It was also great talking to you.

You are an inspiration to those other three shooters on your backer, as well as your target backer being an inspiration to the rest of the line. Along with Tom's, Mike's and Keith's targets. What a sight that was!

You will be a wonderful addition to the CA Instructor crew. Thanks for grabbing a bucket and helping us bail. Welcome aboard!! O0

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

LayloPro

who got me to keep my darn elbow straight and my burrito hand unclenched back in September

Hey RocketMan.....
1st, congrats on finding the key to the "hump", and making it over!! O0 8) O0
And just as importantly, taking on the orange hat of destiny!! O0 O0 O0

The journey begins now!!

I do have to ask about the "burrito hand"....did I say that?? :)) ::) **) @) Was I being paraphrased?? It was probably around lunch time!!

I do have to comment that your observations are of the correct mindset.....most folks want to see something and complain it's too "whatever"......
You now are looking at a problem, and seeing opportunities for improvement. That is important, and I must say, will help you fit in with the bunch here very well..... O0

As a new IIT, start going thru the boards, and begin -reading-.....lots of reading....... ::) next shoot up locally is the Jan 9-10 shoot out in Corona......go ahead & get your self signed up, and we look forward to seeing you there!

Rain or shine! **)

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Rocket Man

QuoteI do have to ask about the "burrito hand"....did I say that??  Was I being paraphrased?? It was probably around lunch time!!

Yep, you said that.  On the line Saturday morning, you came by and said: "Every time you wrap your fingers around the forearm like you're holding on to a burrito or something."  Gave me a laugh.  But you were right, I was doing that.  Never even noticed it before...

Come to think of it, it was around lunchtime.   :))

Lots of reading indeed!  I'll get right to it.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

22calgal

I have renewed faith in our country after seeing 18 brave men and women show up Saturday in horrible rain...and they stayed.  We were all wet, muddy, cold but the Rifleman spirit came through and the training went on.  We laughed, we learned and we became friends.  I salute each of the shooters who stuck with us and showed true Rifleman spirit.

Sunday was sunny but a muddy mess, and still 12 people showed up to continue on.  I am so proud of each of them! :D

What a GREAT shoot and what a memorable way to end 2009 at Corona.  Congrats to newest Rifleman Rocket Man, too.  We had 3 more who were sooooo close that we should see them with a patch soon.

I love Appleseed and I love Appleseeders!

God bless and Merry Christmas!

22calgal
Jackie Young, Proud to be American