News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need help finding central IN KD range for Instructor's KD Day. Need ASAP.

Started by techres, December 10, 2009, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

I need help finding an Indiana Training Corps KD Day. 

This is an idea that has popped up in other threads but has not been maximized on.  It is an idea that I think bears particular fruit for the Indiana Training Corps (and any border raiders who want to join us - the more the merrier!).  Yesterday I sent out this PM to the IN Green hats:

One Day Known Distance Boot Camp

We are teaching .22 at 25 yards more and more.  Fewer and fewer of our trainers have experienced KD and only a very small number know how to teach it.  In order to give every Orange/Red/Green Hat the skills to both do and teach KD shooting we should have a one day shoot just for this purpose.

There are a few ranges we can choose to do this at.  And frankly, now is the time to plan and execute it as we are entering the down time of the year.

Why do this now?

Because every hat needs to be able to say "I have done it".  He needs to be able to say it at the 1500.  He needs to be able to say it on INGO.  He needs to be able to say it at the gun club board meeting.  And he needs to be able to say it to himself.

And more importantly, he/she needs to be able to TEACH it when the time comes as happened to me when I crossed over into Ohio.

We are bringing more and more instructors on line.  Fewer and fewer have this skill.  How many times has any of us taught 3/3/4/4 vs. 3/3/3/4 at a seed?  That stuff is almost like an old memory now.  And we need to fix that.

So, what say you, fellow Green Hats?  Can we pull this off? 

Techres

The response was fast and clear from the greens: GET IT DONE!

Now, the range I thought was 400m is actually 200m and the one I am sure of is geographically problematic (Red Brush).  If we can find a central IN range with the distance, we can pound this out in one day and get all of our Red/Green/Orange hats up to speed in one fell swoop.

Now what I need is a range suggestion and direction.  If you have a good idea, please contact me ASAP so we can get this going yesterday.

Thanks all!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Bill 3

Here is a list of ranges in IN listed at wheretoshoot.com that I could quickly verify possess 300yds or better  ** denotes out to 500+(we need to look into some of these!!):

**Young's Longshot, Inc. - Wolcottville, IN 46795

**Bass and Bucks - Wabash, IN 46992

**Central Indiana Highpower Shooting - Atterbury - Base side??

Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club

Old Trails Rifle & Pistol Club - Richmond, IN 47374

R & R Elk Preserve Hunting Ranch - St. Joe, IN 46785

**Red Brush Rifle Range - Newburgh, IN 47630

**Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club - Georgetown, IN 47129

Wabash Wildlife and Sportsman Association

**Walter Cline Range - Friendship, IN 47021 - (muzzleloader club)

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club - Lafayette, IN 47903

The geographical concerns:  Can't make everyone happy.....  Aren't too many choices when you start getting over 300yds......

Whatever club we can get a day at, if any, works and we should take the opportunity.

I know we have contacts for some of these......  Also, we have High Power contacts.....  Can those work for us here?

Anyone have any ranges to add?

- WRWIII

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill of Rights

Even if we did three or four one-day shoots like this, I think it would have value. Maybe one at Wabash, one at Lafayette, one at Richmond, and one at Red Brush? I agree, I'd like to prove it to myself that I have the capability, but I'm not sure we can all get together on a single day in a single place, what with family and work obligations.

This has lots of merit. I want in.

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Mudcat

I am 90% sure we can get a date for Red Brush. If people do not want to or cannot drive this far south then maybe we could also get one in the north on a different weekend.  Then it would give 2 different weekends to get everyone through.
We can shoot 375 any day at Red Brush with out any pre arrangments, we may have to work with a few others on the range though. This time of the year that will be very minimal as it is deserted most days.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Bill 3

"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill 3

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

dean

http://www.illinoishighpower.org/10-state_schedule/10-state_schedule.htm   ---- Listing of high power ranges in the midwest.

The first match of the year is in Oak Ridge, TN on the first weekend in March.  Anybody want to come with and meet the new commander of the USAMU and see who is on this years rifle team?

yellowhousejake

OK, no responses.

Mudcat, schedule a day at RedBrush two months out. I will be there, I imagine Bill 3 will be there as well. I suggest at least shoot bosses need to be there to refine the COI for KD. If we wait for everyone to chime in and agree on a date, we might as well choose a day in 2014. So let's just set a date in May and then set another for those who do not attend.

May has the Womens Only at Cloverdale and nothing else scheduled.

May 1st
May 8th
May 15th
May 22nd
May 29th

I am scheduled to be in Miamisburg the 15th. If Meanstreaker gets another instructor I can be at RedBrush so I am possibly open all month. No other Indiana Instructor is scheduled in May.

Let's get this done.

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

resdep

Great idea, I can't make the 1st or the 8th but any other Saturday would work for me. I think 17Chap would be up for this as well.
resdep

J Jessup

I'm all for a KD Range day but Newburgh is about as far away from my abode as possible staying within Indiana.  Can we get someplace central like Wabash or Atterbury.  BTW I believe the R&R Elk ranch is defunct.

17Chap

techres

This idea is not dead, it's just hidden behind all the other stuff going on.  Ed and I have been arraigning to use Spencer to do a 200 yard review pre-April 17.  He is in Evansville now, and I was out all day putting up flyers.

Let me catch up and respond more fully.

Techres

yellowhousejake

Quote from: J Jessup on March 27, 2010, 04:53:54 PM
I'm all for a KD Range day but Newburgh is about as far away from my abode as possible staying within Indiana.  Can we get someplace central like Wabash or Atterbury.  BTW I believe the R&R Elk ranch is defunct.

17Chap

Wabash is too short isn't it? I'll know for certain after Patriot's Day. Possibly Ft. Wayne but that is pretty far for Sur+ and Mudcat. Would certainly be nice to get 300+ somewhere, even if it does require two shoots. Let's see what Techres comes up with.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

ATM

I'm free May 1st or 8th but would try to get off work for any other date that is picked.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Bill of Rights

Quote from: yellowhousejake on March 27, 2010, 05:43:25 PM

17Chap

Wabash is too short isn't it? I'll know for certain after Patriot's Day. Possibly Ft. Wayne but that is pretty far for Sur+ and Mudcat. Would certainly be nice to get 300+ somewhere, even if it does require two shoots. Let's see what Techres comes up with.

YHJ

DAve, Wabash is a 400 yd range.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

techres

Quote from: Bill of Rights on March 28, 2010, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: yellowhousejake on March 27, 2010, 05:43:25 PM

17Chap

YHJ

DAve, Wabash is a 400 yd range.

Wabash is 400 yards and usually we cannot use it at that distance.  If we go there, we need to be very certain as to what we will be able and not able to do.  I would not want any surprises.

Techres

Mudcat

Dec 10 was the middle of winter with very little going on at Red Brush. Now we have matches most every weekend. We have a 500 yard tactical rifle match once a month, bench rest once a month,military rifle match once a month, cleanup day once a month. That is just on the 375 and 500 yard range.  Get the picture? Would have been much easier in the winter before all the matches started up.
We have a board meeting April, 1st. Best we can do is ask and take what they could give us, if anything. But if we ask to have it and close down the range to members  on a weekend day and get only 4 or 5 to show it would not be a good thing. Sur+ has more pull with the BOD than I do, but I will do what I can.
--George Washington

Bill of Rights

I want in on some KD shooting, but I think that a drive to Evansville is not in the cards for me. If that's the only place we're doing it, please do not plan on me being there.

BoR

Bill 3

Talking to Sue on possibility she brought up about using Atterbury.  Would that work?

Mudcat

I would go for it Bill3. As long as it is a weekend that I can make it we can get a few together from down here and all come up together. Sundays would work best for most of us though. I know I am scheduled to work every saturday that I don't have a shoot. Just let me know.
--George Washington