News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tent camping north of Reno?

Started by BaldDragn, December 05, 2009, 12:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

I love being able to spend less of Appleseeds money, spend more time with fellow Appleseeders and work on my camping skills at the same time but I haven't found anything near the Reno shoot where we can camp without worrying about having LTRs with us.

Is there some kind of prohibition against tent camping north of Reno?
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

desertrat144

BD,

There's no prohibitions about camping N of Reno, the trick is finding BLM land, and timing to avoid the Official Fire Season.  I don't know if you're thinking in terms of the Washoe Co Range; I don't think they allow it, perhaps on the immediate perimeter?  If camping within the range perimeter is what you're thinking, I'm reasonably sure thay would require a specific insurance rider (the State requires $2 million damages, specific to them), and you would probably have to get the County Commission's consent too. ++) 

For non-Appleseed camping, do you want to try on the playa, or smaller dry lake beds? or desert? or flats, mining abandoned camps/towns?

Just some random thoughts.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

featherblue

For camping info near Reno I would suggest contacting Nevada Smith. I think he lives in or near Reno.

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

arashi

There is plenty of dry camping just north of the range and south of the Indian reservation.  I will drive out and get a fresh look at the spots and report back.

BaldDragn

Thanks, I wouldn't mind the res, except for wanting to keep the LTRs with me.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

arashi

I am still waiting for the snow to melt to get you an AAR on the camping areas.

arashi

I was out there last weekend and there is still snow and mud...

eaglescouter

Quote from: arashi on February 05, 2010, 01:53:54 AM
I was out there last weekend and there is still snow and mud...

And we are sending another week of storms your way from here in NorCal :)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)