News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2010 MO Shoot Planning

Started by Greg in MO, December 03, 2009, 10:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg in MO

Well, since I finally managed to get access back to this board... 

Let's use this thread to discuss shoot planning for the coming year.

Looks like we finally have the Osage dates listed on the schedule.   O0

I think we have 4 or 5 tentatively set for April 17-18:
Osage Beach
Williamstown
Weatherby
Bates City

Springfield?

Hopefully we can get 4 or so set for Bates City, 2 in Weatherby and Williamstown.  We have 6 set for Osage, plus the RBC.  That's 14.  I think we should having at least twice that.  &)

Washburn?  How many can we have there next year? 

The only way to accomplish our goals is to find more places to have shoots. As greybeard has mentioned, we need to get Springfield, St. Louis and the boot heel online this coming year.  What are we doing about that?  What should we be doing?  We did a good job of building the instructor corps this year, now let's put it to work.

Since we are done with Appleseeds for the rest of 2009, we should have plenty of time to get 2010 scheduled.  Without shoots on the schedule, it's hard to promote, especially at gun shows and such.  Greybeard can't do this all on his own, so let's help him out.

Greg

cmidkiff

Greg,  You're correct on the count, or a little high, actually, and no, it's not enough.  To stay on target, we need to at least double this year's dozen, and right now, we're not even close.  Here's where I'm at on current shoots, and I'd just _love_ any assistance I can get!

Osage Beach: 6 + the RBC is the number Longshot and Thor's Hammer came up with for the year.

Bates City: I received an email from Jack asking what I could tell him about the DC Appleseed group and their brief in the Heller case supporting Washington DC's position.  Totally unrelated to us, of course, but evidently, someone at PGC was pushing that angle to get them to stop hosting Appleseeds.  I _think_ I've corrected the problem, but I guess we'll see.  According to Jack, 3 shoots at PGC is going to be our max.  I asked for April 19, one in August, and one in November.

Williamstown:  We were supposed to have a fall shoot there this year, and it didn't work out...  I'm PM'ing him today, and should have his April shoot on the schedule soon.  I have proposed one in late August, as well.

Weatherby:  Spring and fall only, since it's planted during the summer.  I have an email out for Ben to confirm.

Washburn:  I haven't talked to Kent since October... I'll send him an email today, but I would imagine we can count on April 19, perhaps a mid-summer shoot, and one in the fall.

Paulette has a place between Clinton and Springfield off of Hwy 7 that she's invited us to... I have yet to make it out there to check out the location, but it sounds promising.  Anyone feel like a road trip to see Paulette?

We had a shoot in Fremont this year, that was something that was put together by Susan... I didn't go, and don't have any contact info.  Susan?

I have contacted every private and public range I can find in and around St. Louis, and I have had no bites at all.  The only way we're going to be able to get into the area is if we can find someone with private property willing to host.  I've about exhausted my resources in the area.

Springfield:  I'm hopeful that Paulette's location is close enough to attract some Springfield residents, but I'd still like to have something going on a bit closer.  I have no current leads.

South-eastern corner:  I know nobody in this part of the state, and have had no leads in this direction.

Missouri Brigade

I am from Perryville in southeast MO, but live in central IL now.  If we can get some flyers created, I can get some to gunshops in Perryville, Cape Girardeau, and St. Louis over Christmas.  I would think we would want to list Missouri and Illinois shoots--Alton and Sparta are close.

Are Missouri Department of Conservation ranges an option?  Apple Creek is nice in northern Cape Girardeau county.  I used the Sugar Creek one in Adair county while at college.

Steve

Greg in MO

MDC Ranges may be a challenge, as we would probably need the entire range for the weekend.  If they have a special events range that can be reserved, that may be a possibility.

Chris, I will run down to Paulette's with you.  Just let me know when.

Stu had already agreed on the April date.  It would be nice to have more out there though.

Aftermath's sister lives down in Springfield now and is an Appleseeder.  Maybe they can find us something.

I'm not sure what to do about St. Louis.  Being 4 hours away makes it challenging...

Greg

ErikAnderson

I finally got access to the MO board as well.  I spoke with Jack @ Pioneer and they are limiting it to 2 AS per year. There was some confusion over the Appleseed Foundation (AF is a group whose beliefs run counter to those taught by the RWVA), but I spoke with several members about it and believe that's now an aside.

When I pressed Jack for an answer on why we couldn't do more, especially with multiple free weekends on the calendar, his answer was that PGC has to support many events throughout the year, and that they needed to have open weekends for the members.  Nevermind the fact there there is a 25/50/100 yard rifle, 25 yard pistol, and skeet ranges that are unaffected by AS activities.  Whether they didn't make enough money serving food, think we're tearing up the range, or there is still confusion about the AF vs. AS, I'm not sure.  Everyone one that I've spoken with enjoyed the AS, and thought the program was great.  Why we're not getting more support is a shame because the facility is well equipped and located.

HectorFuego

As a member of PGC, I can confirm that they do keep the range pretty busy, especially from the late spring to early fall.  It does seem odd that they could not give us April 17 & 18 though.  They must be trying to schedule the shoots for when they expect the least number of member there.

At least we get a couple of shoots there.

Howard
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." Wayne Gretzky
"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin." My late dad, a Mariine veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Greg in MO

Howard, 

Good to see you here.  If you know anyone with land or another range other than Pioneer, please let us know.

Greg

Gatorgulch

Hey Greg and everyone,

I'm new here, but I'm planning on attending the April shoot in Washburn.  It's a little closer to the cornerstone....

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

Thor's Hammer

The Osage Beach range is available for more shoots, if somebody wants to staff them. The range is open all year except for November because of deer season. At this current moment I can staff only 6 events because prior engagements and work. I work a 40hr a week job, run my own small business and have 270ac. of farm to oversee, as well as keeping the range kept up. Range maintenance in the spring/summer requires about 20hrs a month by itself. Some of my obligations will be permanently deleted at the end of this year, this should free up more time for 2011.

KR and I have been trying to seek out local individuals that are RH material to help staff events. I have some onboard for April, one of which is NRA-RSO certified already. As the program grows, we need to build a good solid instructor corp so that we don't burn ourselves out.

On a side note, the range is surrounded by hay fields. This is a source of income for me and very weather dependent when harvesting. None of us can predict the weather, which makes it very difficult to schedule shoots around haying season. Safety is of the utmost priority. There is only one field that could close off the use of the 25m range, but three that could shut down the KD range.

TH
Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Greg in MO

Quote from: Thor's Hammer on February 03, 2010, 08:43:27 PM
The Osage Beach range is available for more shoots, if somebody wants to staff them. The range is open all year except for November because of deer season. At this current moment I can staff only 6 events because prior engagements and work. I work a 40hr a week job, run my own small business and have 270ac. of farm to oversee, as well as keeping the range kept up. Range maintenance in the spring/summer requires about 20hrs a month by itself. Some of my obligations will be permanently deleted at the end of this year, this should free up more time for 2011.

KR and I have been trying to seek out local individuals that are RH material to help staff events. I have some onboard for April, one of which is NRA-RSO certified already. As the program grows, we need to build a good solid instructor corp so that we don't burn ourselves out.

On a side note, the range is surrounded by hay fields. This is a source of income for me and very weather dependent when harvesting. None of us can predict the weather, which makes it very difficult to schedule shoots around haying season. Safety is of the utmost priority. There is only one field that could close off the use of the 25m range, but three that could shut down the KD range.

TH
Jason

Thanks Jason.  I know how hard it is to make time to bushhog and get the range ready, not to mention actually staffing the shoot.  I think we can cover the staffing for a couple more shoots.  I think we should do a March shoot, say 21-22?  I would be happy to help with the mowing.  I own a Ford tractor similar to yours (just little older) so I would be happy to come down on a Friday and mow if you can't get to it.

Hay season is an issue at a couple of our sites (like Weatherby).  We can work around it.

Greg

Gramma Goats

Chris -- we are off of HWY 13-- about 8 miles south of Hwy 54 and then 3 miles west of Hwy 13 at Humansville --YA'll  come !

Quote from: greybeard on December 03, 2009, 11:25:25 AM
Greg,  You're correct on the count, or a little high, actually, and no, it's not enough.  To stay on target, we need to at least double this year's dozen, and right now, we're not even close.  Here's where I'm at on current shoots, and I'd just _love_ any assistance I can get!

Osage Beach: 6 + the RBC is the number Longshot and Thor's Hammer came up with for the year.

Bates City: I received an email from Jack asking what I could tell him about the DC Appleseed group and their brief in the Heller case supporting Washington DC's position.  Totally unrelated to us, of course, but evidently, someone at PGC was pushing that angle to get them to stop hosting Appleseeds.  I _think_ I've corrected the problem, but I guess we'll see.  According to Jack, 3 shoots at PGC is going to be our max.  I asked for April 19, one in August, and one in November.

Williamstown:  We were supposed to have a fall shoot there this year, and it didn't work out...  I'm PM'ing him today, and should have his April shoot on the schedule soon.  I have proposed one in late August, as well.

Weatherby:  Spring and fall only, since it's planted during the summer.  I have an email out for Ben to confirm.

Washburn:  I haven't talked to Kent since October... I'll send him an email today, but I would imagine we can count on April 19, perhaps a mid-summer shoot, and one in the fall.

Paulette has a place between Clinton and Springfield off of Hwy 7 that she's invited us to... I have yet to make it out there to check out the location, but it sounds promising.  Anyone feel like a road trip to see Paulette?

We had a shoot in Fremont this year, that was something that was put together by Susan... I didn't go, and don't have any contact info.  Susan?

I have contacted every private and public range I can find in and around St. Louis, and I have had no bites at all.  The only way we're going to be able to get into the area is if we can find someone with private property willing to host.  I've about exhausted my resources in the area.

Springfield:  I'm hopeful that Paulette's location is close enough to attract some Springfield residents, but I'd still like to have something going on a bit closer.  I have no current leads.

South-eastern corner:  I know nobody in this part of the state, and have had no leads in this direction.
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Thor's Hammer

Greg,

If you want to schedule one for March 20-21, I don't see any problems. Hopefully we will dry out down here. Grass shouldn't be taking off at that point. Looked at my schedule, getting range work done looks promising, might even be able to find some time to instruct. I will try to get some things taken care of ahead of time so that I might be there both days to instruct.

Just let me know if you need anything and let me know when the flyer is available. I'll start hunting around for some participants.

TH
Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

mikaldulee

I can make a March shoot. 

It would be good to shake the dust off before April.

ErikAnderson

Quote from: Greg in MO on February 04, 2010, 11:28:20 AM
[I think we should do a March shoot, say 21-22? 

I can make the 20/21 March date. If we can get MamaBear's parents to watch the kids, she could join us as well. Either way, you are guaranteed one of us.

smle

I'm going to try and get up there for that weekend. Somebodys got to keep everyone in line.

Eric, have you been able to figure out if you can make NLR in April?

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

ErikAnderson

Quote from: smle on February 09, 2010, 12:20:31 AM
I'm going to try and get up there for that weekend. Somebodys got to keep everyone in line.

Erik, have you been able to figure out if you can make NLR in April?

smle

We're GTG. I'm committed and on the schedule.

Greg in MO

The March Osage shoot is on the schedule.  Instructors, get signed up.

If you aren't an instructor, come out and help us kick off the 2010 season in Missouri.  Consider it a warm up for April 19th.

Greg