News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Lewiston, Id - Nov 28/29

Started by Pa Rah, November 27, 2009, 09:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa Rah

This is a place holder for Lewiston, ID.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Wade

Dang wish I could make it there .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Pa Rah

Every now and then we catch glimpses on this forum of how some of the more seasoned instructors were bound to the Appleseed mission and to each other early in the program.  I have attended numerous Appleseed and Boot Camps as a shooter and never could quite understand the relationships the instructors had with each other.

Saturday about 3 PM I think I might have understood what this is all about. I found myself wondering how it was that I had the honor of working with such a great group of people and stood in awe of how tirelessly and persistently they worked together to pass on the "Tradition" and technical abilities required to turn Americans into Riflemen.
Ronald Reagan

Wheeler44

QuoteI found myself wondering how it was that I had the honor of working with such a great group of people and stood in awe of how tirelessly and persistently they worked together to pass on the "Tradition" and technical abilities required to turn Americans into Riflemen.
A hearty echoing of that statement from the west coast here Pa rah.......I am honored to be part of all of this.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Earl

Interesting, going to Saturday Appleseed disguised as an Old Guy with NRA Life Member patches on and enjoying watching the RWVA Instructors do their best. It was a great eye opener for me. First, they all knew me, and my Stevens Target .22 LR is fine - the shooter needs a tune up and that was what I was there for - I got three in the one hundred, two hundred and three hundred, must have hurried something on the four hundred and the head shot was high on the Red Coat. Then I swapped out rifles and went to the M1 Garand. Off to sighting squares and the fire hose of information I could write in my sleep, good to see those IITs doing so well at putting it out and coaching the shooters through it. I did find trouble going down to the target line and keeping my mouth shut about the shooting of others that I was cheering for... maybe the duct tape with my name on it should have been over my mouth, I did try and remember to behave better.

I had the rear sight shoot loose, and remembered a technique that Fred had told me to try. So I did and it seemed to be good, then I ran the sight up seventeen clicks and got back to making every shot count as we went through the day. M1 thumb never got me, but I lost parts of my nails and was challenged by some primer problems, or firing pin strikes, worked through those. I do know that I need much more dry fire - the whole AQT to build my standing, and sitting (I used the kneeling position this time - quicker to get into but less steady than cross legged). We got two quick AQTs in, then one last Red Coat, I lost the bottom two targets in the sunset, or twilight - it sure gets dark earlier than it did in August the last time I was at this range.

I am sure, that I need to do about one AQT every two weeks to get really good with my M1 Garand, that is forty-eight round each time, and I should shoot double that with the target .22 for form and just because it is fun. And I should dry fire the M1 an AQT every night as part of my exercise regime that I also need to get back on top of... funny, I found new muscle aches that I had never noticed in my personal shooting life - must be the pace and volume of the shooting on an Appleseed. I could have done a second day - but that is just me talking, my body might have had a different idea.

As always, the nicest people come to Appleseeds, all those I have worked with before and some I hope to hear made Rifleman. But I did find my Rifleman's bubble when it was me, the rifle and the target - I didn't pay much attention to anything except expected line commands. It is good to shoot a fine battle rifle and almost shoot up to its promise. I shouldn't put it in print, but once one starts teaching I find I wasn't spending enough quality time shooting - will work on that, harder. Thanks for having me along. Pictures included and more to follow after I clean up some patient rifles that served me well.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

hawkhavn

I can see it now --- playing the role of Gustavus Adolphus....Earl!

Great looking shoot there folks, I see familiar faces under the colored hats and down on the line!
Can't wait to hear how it all turned out???

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Earl

Noting the response to the earlier photos I add a few.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Western Rose

Some Pictures.

The three Riflemen.

Instructors waiting to see how many Redcoats got through.

Right after she started backing away when she saw Dad coming up with a water bottle. :D

"Oh well, It was worth it."

<:)

Rifleman!

O0

Congrats!

The end of the day..

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

tdow

Congratulations to Shawn, Joe, and Patrick for hanging in there and making Rifleman.  I honestly don't think I've seen such vast improvement in shooters across the board before.  Instead of getting tired, for some reason folks got focused. 

Leslie, Craig, Becky, and Rich all did a great job of calling the line.  You're all going to make awesome instructors.  Larry and Leslie gave excellent history, as expected, and Rod ran a great shoot.  Although Saturday may have been a little slow, Sunday was up there with the best I have experienced at Appleseed.

It was nice having Earl there to shoot, and to see him have to physically put his hand over his mouth to keep from morphing from a shooter into an instructor. 

As always at Appleseed, it was a pleasure to meet everyone there.  I appreciate everyone's effort, and for being the kind of Americans that are going to save this country.

--Todd

TruTenacity

This weekend was exhausting, physically demanding, but very rewarding.  I finally shot Rifleman.  Scoring 210 got me wet with ice water poured on my head by my loving husband, Reformed Redneck.  Scoring 212 showed I could shoot Rifleman more than once.  Scoring 230 convinced me I knew a bit about what I was doing.  If it weren't for the patience and personal training of my husband and daughter, Western Rose, plus all the instruction, tips, and encouragement from the other instructors I've been under at the four Appleseeds I've attended I couldn't have done it. Thanks to all.  I must add I'm proud to say our youngest son, Patrick, is now a Rifleman too shooting a 216.  Our youngest daughter, Evenstar, was knocking at the door numerous times.  She scored a perfect score on the second stage of one of her AQTs!

Now that I've taken on the orange hat my next step will be taken on the same path as so many in this organization.  May God be pleased to grant this organization success in being one means used to restore this nation to its greatness our founding Fathers had in mind. 
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Reformed Redneck

Friends,

My sypathies are much the same as those already mentioned by the others here. Good shoot. Great instructors crew. It was a pleasure to have Actineon and GunslingerGirl working the line on Sunday. Actineon did fine duty in helping a Sunday only shooter make some good progress with the handicap of not having the benefit of Saturday's instruction. I had a good time getting to know XOR a bit. We were real pleased to meet Mrs. Earl. as well as Mrs. Pa Rah. Glad they came along.

As you all look over these photos, notice one thing here. See the picture(s) of Joe on the firing line? Note that he made his Rifleman with a bolt action rifle. Good going, Joe!

Thanks again to the guys at the range who keep having us back.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

hawkhavn

Congratulations to the entire crew, both on the line, those that scored Rifleman and everyone of my friends behind the line!  Pretty snazzy looking bunch in those orange, red and green hats!

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Fred

A big O0 to all, but two O0 O0 to TruTenacity, AKA Mrs Reformed Redneck!

Four Riflemen in one family, with a couple still to come!

There's a family claiming 4 or 5 in either IN or IL - guess they better look out! >:D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

JoeCool

Hi All, I want to send out many thanks to the great instructors and fun participants. The chance to get personal shooting lessons from experts were all that I had hoped for.  It was a great time, offered by "top-shelf" people, giving away valuable rifle skills and inspiring heritage lessons. Awesome.

Joe

hawkhavn

Fred,

I think that is Indiana AND Ohio AND Wisconsin!  Us Hoosiers have the Mudcat clan and the Buckeyes have Redneck Engineer and kin.  Don't forget those cheeseheads up in Wisconsin either with that guy that has a suit and a snow blower!

Appleseed - the family Heritage place!

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Western Rose

Guess we're going to have to find some bigger families out here...  &) ;D

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

colycat

Great job to all.  I love the photo of all the orange hats O0 O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Western Rose

Thanks to the shooters for coming. It was my privilege to work with you.
I hardly saw any "happy finger" Sun. morning and none by the afternoon. @) <:) Make sure you all don't forget to find your NPOA and keep those elbows under the rifles. Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.

Evenstar, AKA my sister, I have never seen any one ACE Stage 2 on the AQT. That was awesome! Good job. I'll look forward to working a shoot with you.

Earl, it was great to meet Mrs. Earl. You both are welcome to come back anytime.

Congratulations to the three new Riflemen!!
Mom, it was great to be able to hand you your Rifleman patch and to try to keep a straight face before you saw Dad with the water bottle. >:D
Patrick, it was fun to see you work through the hard parts and frustration to finally make Rifleman.
Joe, well done. Making Rifleman at your first Appleseed, with a bolt action no less. <:)

To all three of you, I can't wait to work a shoot with you guys! Congrats on the orange hats.

Thanks to the Instructors for putting up with me and teaching me something in the process.
Pa Rah, Thanks for running such a good shoot and making me do all of the instruction that I didn't think I could. And telling me not to worry so much.. You and Mrs. Pa Rah are always welcome here.

I think my favorite exchange of the day was: "Hey, you out shot your wife this morning." :o ~ from an Instructor. "Well, First time for every thing!" **) ~ from the shooter.

50th Appleseed

Pa Rah

Joe,

Glad you could be a part of it. Good job, and with a bolt gun... Nice! O0

Quote from: JoeCool on December 01, 2009, 02:39:41 AM
Hi All, I want to send out many thanks to the great instructors and fun participants. The chance to get personal shooting lessons from experts were all that I had hoped for.  It was a great time, offered by "top-shelf" people, giving away valuable rifle skills and inspiring heritage lessons. Awesome.

Joe

Ronald Reagan