News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AQT at longer yardages?

Started by Mike38, November 25, 2009, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike38

If I was to place an 25 yard AQT (like the ones used at an Appleseed) at 100 yards, would the top silhouette that represents 100 yards at 25, be equivalent to a 400 yard shot? If so, then the 200 yard silhouette would be a 800 yard shot, right? Granted, wind deflection and bullet drop wouldn't be near a factor at 100 yards like it would at 800 yards, but would the target size be correct?
"Iesus Nazarenas Rex Iudaeorum"

jacques

I would agree with you.

Seems logical.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

SamD

The size would be correct.
If you are using a 22lr on it, the difficulty level is even 
greater than a centerfire at full distance.

I have done it before when centerfires were not available.
It is a great exercise in wind doping and elevation once you have
the value of your adjustments calculated.

Sam

Wade

I have done that with the 100 yard size targets  out to 200 yards was going to try 300 yards but the wind kicked up to much that day ,I have not tried the quik and dirty aqt at 100 as of yet  but that does sound like a challange,,,,now I am going to have to try that ,,,,dang it one more thing to have to try  its all your fault :)

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

SamD

First time I tried it back in June, it was a desperation move.
Had a LTO and the students were pumped on Sunday and none had a centerfire I didn't bring the M1.

Knew my clicks for 100 so I hung one out there and let fly.

Walked them down, gave them another round of IMC, posted AQT's in the center of big backers and had them work it.
They learned how to make an elevation table for their rifles and a lot about wind estimation and correction.
Really a very productive day.   Even tried a couple at 200 so they could record clicks for that range.

Sam

Wade

I had read about England during ww2 had such a shortage of rifles they wanted to know how much use a .22 would be  there study came up with 300 yards ,purely a have to try even if just to find out .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

SamD

Someone in a gunrag recreated that experiment a couple years ago with frozen turkys at 300 yards. pretty surprising results.

I heartily recommend 22's at 1-200 if there are no centerfires available.

Sam

AFTERMATH

Yeah, you'd have simulated 400, 800, 1200, and 1600 yard sillouhettes.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Garand69

Well I seem to have been beat to the punch! But that fine, all really good answers  O0

All I will add is this Mike, lets hit rifleman at 25M first, then crank up the challenge a bit &)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Mike38

Quote from: Garand69 on November 25, 2009, 10:18:53 PM

All I will add is this Mike, lets hit rifleman at 25M first, then crank up the challenge a bit

Good point, so anyone reading this thread that hasn't made Rifleman, click the back button, place the keyboard on the deck at your feet and step back away from it.   ;)

I think I'll give a AQT at 100 yards a try and see how I do. Might prove something, might not, but sure will be enjoyable.

"Iesus Nazarenas Rex Iudaeorum"

kDan

This is a great use for the greencoat targets.  I seem to end up with a few of them left over after any given event, whereas the qdaqt's are like gold. 

With a 22 it's good way to play with trajectory and wind at 100 yards, but a scope may be necessary for anything but the big silhouette.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Garand69

Quote from: kDan on November 28, 2009, 06:07:16 PM
With a 22 it's good way to play with trajectory and wind at 100 yards, but a scope may be necessary for anything but the big silhouette.

Talent hits the target that no one else can hit....Genius hits the target that no one else can see! **)
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Castle Mountain

FYI & your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q76G7F4dV8

I mean shooting  2430 meters or  7 972. feet is incredible. Genius & talent or a combination of  with instinct & luck included?
This guy demonstrates both talent and genius, but does instinct not play a role here? I have seen incredible
recurve archers demonstrate instinctive shooting as they call it.

How would you rate this overwatcher?

Quote from: Garand69 on November 29, 2009, 09:18:58 AM
Quote from: kDan on November 28, 2009, 06:07:16 PM

Talent hits the target that no one else can hit....Genious hits the target that no one else can see! **)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Ashes

Lots of lots of practice. He even says he could feel the power level difference in the recoil between Canadian .50cal and American .50cal (there is a joke in there somewhere)...

Do we start calling the AQT at longer yardages, "Appleseed 2 - Trajectory and Wind" ?

Quote from: Castle Mountain on November 29, 2009, 12:23:57 PM

FYI & your enjoyment:

I mean shooting  2430 meters or  7 972. feet is incredible. Genius & talent or a combination of  with instinct & luck included?
This guy demonstrates both talent and genius, but does instinct not play a role here? I have seen incredible

Garand69

Quote from: Ashes on November 29, 2009, 08:16:14 PM
Lots of lots of practice. He even says he could feel the power level difference in the recoil between Canadian .50cal and American .50cal (there is a joke in there somewhere)...

Do we start calling the AQT at longer yardages, "Appleseed 2 - Trajectory and Wind" ?

Quote from: Castle Mountain on November 29, 2009, 12:23:57 PM

FYI & your enjoyment:

What we call AQT at longer distances is KD at a Bootcamp!!!

Hey Ashes, you going to Moosejaw in Dec??
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Ashes

Hey Garand69. Chances are looking good for Moosejaw, but I won't be certain till closer to that date. I have till the 12th to rsvp right?

What does KD stand for?

Garand69

Quote from: Ashes on November 30, 2009, 10:11:34 AM
Hey Garand69. Chances are looking good for Moosejaw, but I won't be certain till closer to that date. I have till the 12th to rsvp right?

What does KD stand for?

Yes you can wait until the last minute to RSVP &)

KD = Known distance

All RWVA Bootcamps have a KD range and we are compiling a list of Appleseed Ranges that have a KD range accesable to Appleseeders. For IL, the ISRA Range in Bonfeild and the ASC Range in Waterman have KD ranges that may be available to those who shoot a Rifleman score at the Appleseed. ISRA = 300yds, and ASC = 600yds

Hope we see you at Moose jaw!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz