News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Free Ranges in WV

Started by Spanner, November 23, 2009, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanner

I pulled most of this information from the following sources; check the links within them for more information on these ranges.

Public Shooting Ranges in West Virginia

Wikipedia - List of West Virginia wildlife management areas

(WMA) RANGE      WV County      Max yd      Benches      Camping         WMA District      verified?   

Stonewall Jackson Lake      Lewis      300 yd      10 c               3         

Chief Cornstalk      Mason      200 yd      8 c      yes ?         5         
   Frozen Camp      Jackson      200 yd      8 c      yes ?         6         
   Pleasant Creek      Barbour      200 yd      8 c               1      Spanner   
   R.D. Bailey Lake      Mingo      200 yd      6 c               4         

Elk River - Airport      Braxton      175 yd      8 c               3         
   Plum Orchard Lake      Fayette      175 yd      6 c      38         4         
   Conaway Run Lake      Tyler      150 yd      3 c      yes ?         6         

Beech Fork Lake      Cabell      100 yd      6 c               5         
   Big Ugly      Lincoln      100 yd      none               5         
   Bluestone Lake      Summers      100 yd      6 c      330         4         
   Elk River - Spruce Fork      Braxton      100 yd      8 c               3         
   Hillcrest      Hancock      100 yd      7 c               1         
   Lewis Wetzel      Wetzel      100 yd      6 c               1         
   McClintic      Mason      100 yd      8 c      yes ?         5         
   Panther      McDowell      100 yd      5 c      8         4         
   Pedlar      Monongalia      100 yd      8 c               1      Spanner   
   Wallback      Clay      100 yd      8 c               3         

White Horse Center      Barbour      100 yd      10 c               1         
   Brandywine      Pendleton      100 yd      8 c               2         
   Montgomery      Fayette      100 yd      8 c               4         
   Kanawha State Forest      Kanawha      100 yd      11 c               5         
   Elizabeth      Wirt      100 yd      5 c               6         
   Glenville      Gilmer      100 yd      7 c               6         
   Mountwood County Park      Wood      100 yd      4 c               6         

Sleepy Creek      Berkeley      closed ?                     2         

If you get a chance to visit any of these ranges, post to this thread with your findings & I'll update.

Sticky?

:~

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

The Machine

This idea has been floated in the past, I'm glad you resurrected it. Spanner, you know the AS protocol: Whosoever starts a project, "owns" it.  ;)

If you could find out the following, I think it would be a good place to figure where this is heading:

1. Who is the authority that oversees and makes decisions about these "wildlife management areas"?

2. What is the process for us to gain consideration about holding AS events at these ranges?

3. What are liability implications? Will our "portable" insurance suffice?

4. Would we even be able to hold a "fee based" event at these locations?

Before we launch into serious consideration about using these facilities, I think a little preliminary investigation is in order. It's an idea worth pursuing, IMO.  :)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Mountaineer

DNR claims/has jurisdiction over all the public ranges, i.e. like Pedlar. 
In Liberty,
--- Mountaineer

"History has shown us that government leaders often ignore the fundamental fact that people demand both dignity and freedom. Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

Spanner

Quote from: The Machine on November 25, 2009, 03:52:34 PM
This idea has been floated in the past, I'm glad you resurrected it. Spanner, you know the AS protocol: Whosoever starts a project, "owns" it.  ;)

If you could find out the following, I think it would be a good place to figure where this is heading:

1. Who is the authority that oversees and makes decisions about these "wildlife management areas"?

2. What is the process for us to gain consideration about holding AS events at these ranges?

3. What are liability implications? Will our "portable" insurance suffice?

4. Would we even be able to hold a "fee based" event at these locations?

Before we launch into serious consideration about using these facilities, I think a little preliminary investigation is in order. It's an idea worth pursuing, IMO.  :)

1)  Not Applicable  :)

2)  Not Applicable  ;)

3)  Not Applicable   ::)

4)  Not Applicable   :(

These are places that WV people can go to meet each other, practice, talk to locals, etc....   @@)

I said nothing about having Appleseed shoots at them.   <:)

The Machine

That's all good, but how about some locations to hold ASs? That's what we need desperately right now with 2010 approaching. As it stands, we only have 1 location that is all ready to go.

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

Spanner

Quote from: The Machine on November 25, 2009, 07:43:08 PM
That's all good, but how about some locations to hold ASs? That's what we need desperately right now with 2010 approaching. As it stands, we only have 1 location that is all ready to go.

I think that's a different thread.   @&)

The Machine

OK, wise guy...I believe you're referring to the one that has no activity or replies to it. We're doing a bang-up job on that one. &)
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10208.0

Old Dog

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SRanges.shtm

link to the DNR controlled public shooting ranges in WV, by district and county with addresses and info on range facilities and distances.

As discussed above, probably can't do Appleseeds there but probably could leave samples of targets with nice groups along with a few "new" targets to allow folks to try their own hand/rifle on and with a contact name/e-mail address on the shot target for them to contact if interested.

Have fun shooting...
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Machine

Thanks OD, nice resource. The only beef I have with these type of public ranges is safety. I've personally witnessed, and have been told some horror stories, about acts of ignorance that could have led to injury. I'm sure some facilities are probably worse than others, but due diligence needs to be exercised, nonetheless. All the more reason to get the public to an AS.  ;)

whiskeyrebel1

Hancock used to have a nice range, shooters blasted away at the frames too many times and the DER quit replacing them. There are decent benches and a roof over them last time I looked.
"The Republic will rise again"