News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winter Appleseed?

Started by Gordon, November 10, 2009, 11:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Are you folks still thinking of trying to put together a winter event? I'd definitely be interested ...
---FM.

------------

Quote from: TreadCarefully on October 06, 2009, 11:14:17 AM
We'll have to plan a winter 'seed early next year when you're back! BeeFree - any ideas?

Quote from: BeeFree on October 06, 2009, 11:55:53 PM
Winter 'Seed?  Maybe Williamston again, since their line is covered?  I can see about getting on their board meeting agenda in Nov to tell them how the upcoming AS went ...

I'm open to any other location we can get.  Got some action at the Dundee Sportsmans Club (think great excuse to stop at Cabelas), but it'll be for next year, cause their schedule is full every remaining weekend this year.  We need approval from their board prior to their Calendar Meeting the second week of December, too.   

Quote from: Dinky Dao on October 07, 2009, 12:20:49 AM
Well now. If you put together a winter shoot in MI, count me in to come up and help.  ...

Quote from: FuzzyMath on October 18, 2009, 12:46:17 AM
Winter 'Seed -- Yes!
Seriously, yes, a winter event? If it comes to pass, and if I'm at all able, I'll be there. Valentine's weekend is off though, since we have an Ohio IBC at that time ...

TreadCarefully

I'm definitely up for it. Something in late Feb, early March to 'warm us up' for April 19th!
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

BeeFree

I've emailed the calendar guy at CCRC to see if they have an open weekend in Feb or Mar.  Will let you know when I hear.  In the meantime, rustle me up some more locations.  We have
Fenton April 17-18, 2010
CapCity Oct 2-3, 2010

possible Dundee Sportsmans Club, awaiting vote and date - if it doesn't go thru there may be another place near there to try

still need one more to double 2009, and it would be real nice if we could more than double it...

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

TreadCarefully

Anyone have a contact at South Kent Sportsman Club? They have a 600yd line too, I think.

BeeFree

CCRC says March is open except for the third weekend (that would be 19-20).  How do you all feel about Mar 26-27 or March 12-13?  The next board meeting is not til March, but they are willing to do an online vote.  I want commitments to staff this before that, though.  Let me know your date preference...

BeeFree

Fred

BF, I'm betting either date is fine, but the comment about staffing before we set it up needs to be corrected.

Here at AS, we operate under the "if we build it, they will come" approach.

I can't recall ever having to cancel an AS for lack of staffing, and you guys are just over the border from both IL and IN, both states with lots of staff available.

So, set it up, without worry about staffing - it will get done. O0

(PS: If no one else will sign up for it - a near impossibility, in my judgement - why, I'll come up and do it myself - and consider it a pleasure! :) )
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

BeeFree

per Fred (schedule it and we will staff it) I have arbitrarily chosen March 13-14, 2010, for the Winter AS at CapCity Rifle Club, Williamston, MI (because my husband informed me he would be traveling the other weekend and unavailable to sit on the children).  Please mark your calendars.  I will post here again as soon as I get a confirmation from CCRC that we are on their calendar (check back often).  Also, I would like to RedHat this as an SB-in-training under an experienced SB, per TC's suggestion that we see if I can actually SB a shoot PRIOR to the AHOD date of April 17-18.  Who else wants to come freeze with me?

BeeFree 

TreadCarefully

I'm pretty sure I will be there.

TreadCarefully

Gordon

Quote from: Fred on November 12, 2009, 11:06:00 AM
... you guys are just over the border from both IL and IN, both states with lots of staff available. ...

the border with IL, IN, *cough cough* Ahem AND, ...? 

--- FuzzyMath, Gibsonburg Ohio, at your service.  :)

TreadCarefully

Quote from: FuzzyMath on November 12, 2009, 08:01:36 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 12, 2009, 11:06:00 AM
... you guys are just over the border from both IL and IN, both states with lots of staff available. ...

the border with IL, IN, *cough cough* Ahem AND, ...? 

--- FuzzyMath, Gibsonburg Ohio, at your service.  :)

We'll expect to see you then. Please bring clothing accessory back ups.....

Dinky Dao

Ok! I'm in too. BeeFree as SBIT?... Ya know I can't miss out on that! I'm there for ya kiddo. O0

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

BeeFree

fantastic!  they have penciled us in on that date - the calendar guy said they would take the vote at their next actual meeting in Feb.  I'll see if I can find out what happened to the online vote idea, but I am not worried about it, as they have nothing going on at the range that month besides the annual meeting the third Sunday.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again!

BeeFree

TreadCarefully

We should designate a camp site close by as well

ITB

I've marked it on my calendar.  I'll be there.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Miki

Gordon

Quote from: BeeFree on November 12, 2009, 01:56:55 PM
... chosen March 13-14, 2010, for the Winter AS at CapCity Rifle Club, Williamston, MI

Quote from: BeeFree on November 13, 2009, 10:04:23 AM
... they have penciled us in on that date - the calendar guy said they would take the vote at their next actual meeting in Feb.  I'll see if I can find out what happened to the online vote idea, but I am not worried about it, as they have nothing going on at the range that month ...

At the risk of being a Suggester rather than a Doer: Is it too early to get an EIP set up for thing thing? Get it "public", at least tentatively? I believe SavageShootr can fix you right up.

Still looking fwd to it!
-FM

PS: Yes TC, I'll make sure my wardrobe is robust and complete. :)

MeanStreaker

Unfortunately, I think to follow procedure you'll want to wait until the Host Application from (contract) is signed and the club has officially given you the date.

It would be a can of worms if the event was posted, students signed up, and then the club didn't give you the date.

Now........ if you have a very solid reliable relationship with the club................. and they're telling you now it's a done deal...................................  Have them sign the form and get it up ASAP!   :~

Sounds like you have plenty of top-notch staff already.  Let me know if you need more help.   I'm looking forward to getting up north of the border since I've had the pleasure to work with a few of you in the Buckeye state.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Gordon

Oh by all means yes, do not jump the gun on at least some form of approval from the club. And anyhow I'm sure that SS won't violate procedure by posting the thing prematurely. Really, I'm just tryin' to stir this pot a little. :)

I'm not a position to actually help with this so I hesitate to sound too impatient. But what about that online vote idea? If BeeFree (or whoever is our main contact at the club) is on good enough terms with the club leadeship, maybe she can find a tactful way to push that through.

It's just that, in order to get plenty of shooters, it'd be great to get the thing public as soon as reasonably possible. But maybe you dynamos up there in Michigan can spread the word unoffocially somehow, so that when the time comes there'll already be people ready to sign up. As I recall, the last Williamston shoot was very well-populated. Hmm .. there I go again, being a Suggester rather than a Doer! Maybe I can find ways to make a similar effort here across the border. I'll get back to this.

Take care y'all!
_FM

BeeFree

Due to certain issues with the board (like who and how many people are still on it), the online vote thing is a no-go and the vote will not happen until the Feb 4 meeting.  I will have to get the papers signed then.   I have been assured by the person in charge of the calendar that our date is penciled in (so nothing else can get scheduled over it), and their newsletter is going out with our March and October dates on it, as well as a very positive letter written by one of last year's Riflemen.  The IEP is in.  The shoot is open for registration online.  The flyer is up and ready for you to print and post.  If you are planning on attending, you may wish to take a look at this thread...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4527.msg93890;topicseen#msg93890

The IEP for the Dundee shoots is also in, and the shoots should appear online for registration shortly, with the flyers to follow. 

Is anyone planning on attending the Lansing Deer and Turkey show in Feb besides me? 

BeeFree

banjobart

Is the October 2 and 3, 2010 AP in Williamston mentioned above still on?

I notice that a AP in Fenton only 40 miles away is on the 2010 schedule the same days.

Gordon

The Williamston events got moved to Fenton --- same dates, as you noted. No more in Williamston this year, last I heard.