News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Socorro, NM - Nov. 7-8 2009

Started by Devnull, November 10, 2009, 01:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devnull

What a beautiful weekend for an Appleseed! Sunny with temps between 38f in the morning and 73 in the afternoon. There was some wind but it wasn't bad at all.

This was the first Appleseed in Socorro. This is what it looked like.

Freefyrefly and Precisely Advantageous setting up the line.

Shooters, Center up!

Step 1: Sight Alignment

The shooters were very attentive and we moved very quickly through the points of instruction.

A lot of really good looking positions. Half the line were centerfires!

Squeeeeeeze the trigger! With lots of E's!

A quick review on sunday morning.

We actually got two AQTs in on Saturday. Jason, our first Rifleman of the weekend scored a 215 on the VERY first AQT! Congratulations! He consistently shot above 210 and ended up with a high score of 239!

The early morning sun really framed the historic flags well.

Cease Fire! Cease Fire! Cease Fire! Somebody get the barbecue going!  **)

One happy shoot boss. MAN those positions are looking SOLID! What a great group of shooters to work with!

Shooters Center Up! We have someone amongst us who knows what they are about! Our second Rifleman of the weekend, Owen! Another 215! I'm seeing a pattern here... Way to go!

Another one? WOW! Way to go Gavin! 218! Way to persist!

We weren't always shooting. Sometimes we had to discuss the history of our great nation. Remember, it's about getting in touch with our heritage.

It's also about 7th stepping. Jason asked to step up and help us wake up america! We're expecting great things from our now growing Socorro group.

Is it really over?!?

Thank you to the Socorro Gun Club for giving us free reign of the range for the weekend. Thank you BobABQ for being the official documentor for this AS and especially thank YOU shooters for coming out and giving those sofas a rest. You all set yourselves apart from most of the country by sacrificing your weekend to come and learn marksmanship and to get in touch with your heritage. You all are awesome! I look forward to working with you all again.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

BobABQ

Can we shoot this annoying photographer now?

MedicOni

I'm really wishing I could have made it down. Stupid transfer at work (I'm now the newest Tech at our ER, so guess who lost all days off for a while?). I love that range, since it's where I learned to shoot. Looks like a good time. And is that Cletus I'm seeing in the pictures?

Devnull

Yes, Cletus was there. He also showed up for the history during lunch. After hearing the three strikes he told me "Come back any time!" so were going to be having more shoots there!  >:D :~

Now I just have to ask for a couple of dates for shoots and see if we get them.

Oh, and I didn't see him in any of the above pictures. Are you clairvoyant? ;)

But here is a pic with him on Saturday morning. We had to move the line because I didn't know the big 'ol berm was smallbore only.

MedicOni

Meh, not clairvoiant, just half asleep. Still haven't went to bed after shift :P

Might be transferring back to NMT after next semester, so I'll be trying to make the next shoot ya'll do down there... Or the next ABQ one if I'm still up here.

Devnull

Excellent! We are going to have one in Albuquerque up at the Del Norte range on Dec 5-6. It should be posted on the boards here in the next few days.

I look forward to having you there!

MedicOni

Sounds good to me :D Is the Del Norte range the city range near Double Eagle?

Devnull

No, that is the Albuquerque Shooting Range. Del Norte is technically up in Rio Rancho. You take Unser north and turn left on King Blvd. Drive a ways out into the desert and it's off of another road who's name evades me right now. It's the nicest range in Albuquerque but is usually only for members.

Here is a link to their website.
http://www.delnortegunclub.com/

Precisely Advantageous

Wow! Indeed this weekend in Socorro,NM was just AWESOME! All the students who showed up were excellent. They were very open minded and tried all the steps we taught and were persistent and looked what happened, we ended up with 3 new riflemen! Great job Jason, Owen and Gavin you guys rock O0 :~ As to the ones who didn't make it this time you all were very close and showed lots of improvement and I'm sure with a little bit of practice(dry firing) and some persistance next time it will be easy as cake making riflemen on the anvil of the AQT.

Sometimes it can be frustrating not achieving your goal the first time around, but don't give up because we haven't given up on you!

The range was really nice, lots of room for more shooters next time and lots of animal gongs to put those riflemen skills to the test. There were gongs from 300 to 550 yards,I only wish we had more time so the students could do the long range portion and actually see for themselves that 25 meter target practicing does translate to 500 yard hits without a bipod, bench or sandbag. Its a real confidence booster when you get to apply the principles learned and have that instant gratification of that sound "booonggg" and you know your doing it right. Thanks for letting us use your wonderful range!

I'd like to thank every one who showed up and like the shoot boss Devnull said give that couch a rest **) We are now all on the appleseed trail together, and together we can help bring America back to the state it needs to be in. Where we have a sense of community  that is so strong that we can rely on each other and muster 14,000 people together for one cause if we needed to like our founding fathers did for us. So thanks for taking that first step with us towards a better more informed active America and lets get more people to help better this place we call home.
"If the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you expect to find it any where else?"

flesheatingvirus

Thanks to all the instructors for a great shoot!  I learned a lot and was very happy that I got my rifleman badge, and even managed to improve my score over the weekend.  I'm looking forward to being an Appleseed IIT at an upcoming shoot.  I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the Dec. shoot with it being so close to final exams, but we'll see.   
- Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain. -

TaosGlock

Another New Mexico Appleseed first: Socorro! Thanks to all who attended and instructed.  O0
The central part of the Land of Enchantment is really gonna grow now. :~

And congrats to the new Riflemen Jason, Owen and Gavin!  And again to Jason for taking the Orange Hat!

Congrats Devnull for a great job as a first time SB....you also got a great crew of instructors!

Lady Liberty is proud!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose