News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ridgecrest, CA Nov 7-8

Started by DesertDog, November 09, 2009, 02:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

Great times with great people!!

I was really looking forward to this shoot, being my first time Shoot Bossing at my home range.  I also had 6 of my best friends coming to their first Appleseed.  It exceeded my expectations.

James E arrived at my house around noon on Fri and we went to set up the range.  We figured that it would be a shame to have all these beautiful targets up and not shoot any of them.  James shot some sweet 2 MOA groups with my M1A and we rang some steel.

Sat morning, we had 10 shooters.  Jeno, his wife Rochelle and daughter Cameron came out with his brother Pete.  Their brother and sister, Roger and Emma, showed up ready to go.  Richard brought his kids, Craig and Cassandra, Matt came out as well.  They were Sat only.

I've never seen a group absorb the instruction like this group.  Some of the comments I heard at the target line early Sat morning.

"I really got my NPOA that time and my group shrunk by half."
"I knew this group was going to suck, I wasn't squeezing the trigger."
"I really got my elbow under the rifle at I could feel the difference."

After lunch we got 3 AQT's in with a few 190+ and 2 in the 200's

"The Family" returned Sunday morning along with Benson.  Benson was at the April 19 shoot and came to get his patch.  After the normal review, we got in 3 AQT's before lunch with the following results.  Pete led the way with a 220, Roger followed with a 216 and Benson came in with a 219.

We got in 7 more AQT's after lunch, but unfortunately no more Riflemen.  Jeno was in the 180's, but struggled with equipment issues all day.  Rochelle shot a 184 and won the Kill the Tank contest.  Our "Designated Sniper" Cameron was awesome.  She shot every stage and never took a break.  She even reviewed the six steps for Making a Rifle Safe in order, verbatim O0 O0.  I presented her with the "Luther Blanchard Award" at the end of the day.

Thanks again to James E for making the trip to help make this shoot go off without a hitch.

A great group of Americans learned about rifle marksmanship and their heritage.  Great weekend in my book.

Pics to follow.

DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

DesertDog

I screwed up and downloaded my pics to the computer before shrinking them.  Here is a link to them.  

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30044&id=1595676252&saved#/album.php?aid=30044&id=1595676252

James, could you download the ones you have?

Thanks,
DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

James E

Here's a link to all my photos:  http://picasaweb.google.com/emanuel.james/RidgecrestAppleseedNov782009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPinlcWm8PuiowE#

Some selected photos:

The range ready to go on Sat. a.m.

A teachable attitude

The six steps

A happy shooter

DesertDog's closing words

Rifleman Pete

Rifleman Benson

Rifleman Roger

Cam, our desiganated sniper and Luther Blanchard Award winner

DesertDog

I was over at Jene's this afternoon.  Cam wore her t-shirt to school and 7th stepped to all her classmates O0

BaldDragn

Cam is adorable! Some of the best Appleseed Pics I've seen. O0

Nice work you two.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Peragro

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that I had a blast on Saturday - I wish I could have been there for Sunday as well.  James and Erik, you guys did great, thank you.  I learned all kinds of stuff that will make me a better shooter.  I've already talked my wife and our kids into coming in April, so we'll be there unless something weird happens.  I can't wait to get back to the range and practice.  But until then I think I'll just try some dry fires at home...

Cheers,

Matt.

DesertDog

It was great to have you Matt.  April 17 &18 is already on the schedule for the range.  We look forward to your family coming out.

GreyMinotaur

Congratulations to Riflemen Pete and Roger.  It was good shooting, and I'm happy to see 3 riflemen in the course of two consecutive AQTs.

Erik and James: Thanks for the good times, and even as a returning Appleseeder, I managed to learn several new things to improve my shooting that day :D.

Cam's going to make one heck of a rifleman one day.  She out shot all of us.  :~

Benson