News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kick-starting North Carolina Appleseed! THIS IS THE SPOT TO BE!

Started by Fred, November 05, 2009, 08:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

OK, all 23 of us on this board, listen up!

We need a state coordinator - even if a temporary fill-in until we can locate a real mule-skinner! >:D

Who's up for it? One of you is, I know!

So, don't be shy - first one to speak up may well wind up in charge of a whole state!

Next, each of us who wants to kick-start Appleseed in this state should post right here, so we know you're on-board.

Maybe, if you don't mind, post what part of the state you are in, when and where you went to your first AS, how many AS you've been to, what level if any Instructor you are - anything else?

Our mission is three-fold:

1. To line up more Appleseed locations in this state.

2. To actively "7th-step" at all NC AS, signing on new volunteers and instructors.

2A. To set up IBCs to train new instructors and polish existing instructors.

3. To deal with issues relating to promotions - in other words, getting the word out - to gun shows, to other clubs, to any group/organization we can arrange to be a speaker at (it's good training for you instructors).

Now, let's sign in here, with the requested information.

And if you think you're a classic mule-skinner, put your name in the hat for state coordinator.

So, we can get this show on the road.

We have not only the cachet of "Appleseed invented here" - but have a bevy of good instructors state-wide, along with the Home Range - the original spot which one day will be a mecca for a significant part of America - that once-in-a-lifetime trip to shoot on the home range - right there, where it all started.

Let's get going with this!

O0

PS: As soon as someone tells me the capacity of Kill Devil Hills and Yancyeville, I'd like to "crunch some numbers" for the state, so we can measure the current Appleseed potential of the state.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

Man, this post has not even been up 12 hours, and I'm worried I'm gonna wind up being disappointed. >:( :)

It's been read 8 times, presumably by "outsiders" who aren't in this state (if you are in this state, and read and passed on, you need to hang your head).

Maybe people in North Carolina can't read any more?

Maybe people in North Carolina can't "step forward" any more?

Maybe people in North Carolina are slackers, any more?

Maybe people in North Carolina aren't leaders, any more - but followers, waiting for "someone else to post", before they do?

Who knows, maybe North Carolinians are like a lot of Americans, and confuse registering on a working site as - working??? ::)

I know we have at least three Texans in the crowd of 23 which is on this board. Can ONE of you Texans step forward, and reassure the rest of us that 1) posting on this board is not hard to do and 2) may lead to a better future for all of us, both individually and as a group, and 3) may wind up with all of us having fun, Appleseeding?

And if any of the other 23 of you on this board are native North Carolinians, can you speak up and ID yourselves? Huh?

Or is Fred gonna be the only native North Carolinian on this board? :o :o :)

Say it ain't so, Gracie!!

Man, time is flying. Let's get going with this! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Fred

OK, this post has been up 14 hours, each and every one of the 23 people on this board has recieved a PM about getting together on this board, and not one has had the energy to respond.

I can officially declare all of 'em DEAD, and we can immediately start Stage 2, which is recruiting Zombies for the effort.

;D

txpirate

I'm here. (from Texas)
I care.  I've got a bucket in one hand, and a free one to help with other stuff. Let me know.
I would volunteer for State Coordinator, but since I am no longer unemployed (as of two days ago O0), I know I couldn't do the position its due dilligence.

Wait, am I a zombie now since we passed the time deadline? Uh-oh
$$-0 BRAINS!!!

Stimey

Hold on, I'm comin'!  Like Sam and Dave!

Don't know what a State Coordinator does, but I will do it, until I get killed or you find somebody better.  Or, until I get a job.

I'm in Moyock, Currituck County, out on the coast.  Smack dab between Hampton Roads and the Outer Banks.  I am a Red Hat and was the lone instructor and shoot boss for the new Kill Devil Hills location last weekend.

I went to my first Appleseed April 19th weekend of 2008.  Next was RBC Davilla 2/09.  I've spent 30 days total, not counting travel, at Appleseed events this year, measured between two RBC's, seven Appleseeds, and the South Carolina National Guard Shoot.  Made Red Hat in June, moved from Texas to NC, and have been at events in Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, and Fort Stewart, Georgia.

KDH can handle up to about 36 shooters on the range we used last weekend. 

Oh, yeah.  By the way.  Native Texan.  And, a Texas Aggie.  Come on, all you Tarheels!  Where's the Wolfpack?  Well, I guess the only shooting done at Duke is with basketballs, but I still hold out hope for the state schools!

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

hawkeye

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

branson1369

I am ready to help just point me in the direction needed. I think I have 2 to 4 new folks heading to Ramseur either this month or next. I am looking forward to some more time on the long range. It was the highlight for me  @ the last appleseed in Oct.

steves4570

Yanceyville , This is the spot to be! At the last shoot there, only one shooter was from this co. All the others came from at least 2hrs away. I need to drum up more local shooters. Had a few for the Nov 14/15 shoot till they found out it was opening day for gun season on the local dear heard :~ But when some of them start missing the easy shots on the dear, that's when I'll tell them Yanceyville Appleseed is for YOU! Come to one, and I'll bet you'll shooting skills will improve  O0

Fred

OK, it's official! What you ask for, you receive!

Stimey is now State Coordinator for NC - until he dies, or we find someone better!

Mike, you can now read the SC board to see what you need to be doing.

The rest of you on this thread, the four out of the 23 (guess the others really are dead!), let's see if we can get a team working in NC which will show other states how to do it.

A team means we all agree on a plan, and each of us works to make that plan a reality.

The goal is to double, triple, quadruple AS in NC in 2010. Can we do it? You bet!

Because so far there hasn't been an Appleseed team loose in this state. Now there is.

Let's Appleseed this state to death - or until we find a better state!

And shame on any of us natives here, to allow a Texan to be supremo honcho over us! >:( :-X &) :o :)

(PS: Thanks, Stimey! Thanks that there are Texans willing to ride to the rescue! O0)

Meantime, all: Stand by for orders from the new State Coordinator... >:D

Redwolf

Hay Stimey you know I am just down the road. Send me a PM and you know I am there if I can brake free. We might be able to get some thing going the end of Jan or first part of Feb down at KDH.  Hunting season and Christmas will be done.  In the meant time I am talking it up at the base.  I have one man and wife that said they have joined up but they have not been to an AS yet. I have two more on the fence.

Karl2500

Stimey,
Thanks for stepping up.

Concord (just north of Charlotte) NC
My first AS was Ramsuer, spring of this year.  Then Gaston, SC Oct. 3-4  then Ramsuer Oct. 17-18

The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.
~Theodore Roosevelt

Stimey

Karl,

I have a number of metro areas in mind to target, and Charlotte, Asheville, and Fayetteville are at the top of the list.  Please recon Charlotte for any gun dealers/ranges/shows/clubs and send on any points of contact you think would be amenable to a visit from me and willing to promote or provide shoot locations in your area.

Just because I am singling out Karl does NOT mean that I will not accept this assistance from anyone else.  In fact, I very much want this information from everyone who lives in a county other than Dare, Randolph, or Caswell.  More to follow......

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Bonden

Stimey,

I'm just South of Charlotte in Union County.
I'm a member at the Charlotte Pistol and Rifle Club.  (Great potential at CPRC. KD range out to 300yds with 40 positions, two plinking ranges for groups of 10 on the first, 30 on the other.
I spend a lot of time lurking about in and a in several local gun shops.

Oh, I'm not from North Carolina, I just live here. Wildcat, not Tar Heal.  Technically, I'm a Zombie for the late response. ;)

Bonden

Karl2500

I will look around for more info. The two ranges that come to mind first are , as Bonden said, CPRC, and the Rowan County Wildlife Association.

https://rcwanc.com/
www.cr-pc.org

I am not a member of ether but I went to a Garand clinic at Rowan.

The biggest gun shop around here is Hyatt.

www.hyattguns.com

I will keep my eyes open for more opportunities.
The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.
~Theodore Roosevelt