News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

November 21-22 Gun Show

Started by ksuguy, October 28, 2009, 02:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksuguy

I saw there is a gun show coming up on November 21-22 out at the coliseum.   Would anybody be interested in getting a table out there?  I think it would be a great venue to hand out some information and drum up some interest before our shoots resume in the spring.  If we do it, we would need a few people that could man the table throughout the weekend. 

Also, it would be nice if we had some sort of banner to put up.  Does RWVA have any of these?  I know some of the other states have been out at gun shows, maybe they could help us out.   

4bfox

I think it's a GREAT idea.....I could help for 2-3 hours on the 22nd. I was thinking about doing something smaller like this for a local event here in Eureka next weekend. The more exposure for Appleseed, the better...especially at a gun show...just having info available and being able to answer questions.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

I'm not totally sure what my schedule will be, but I can probably be out there for a good amount of time.   If we can get a decent number of people, I'll email the show promoter and see about getting a table.  Maybe they will be cool and cut us a break on the table fee.   

Ideally we could have some information packets to hand out,  maybe offer some AQT targets for sale if we have enough. 

4bfox

I have a good laser printer and a color printer at our store, can make whatever you want to hand out, if RWVA can't send handouts.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

The ][rishman

Hey I can work the Sat morning - mid afternoon shift.  I have some targets.  I don't know about banners but I bet we can make the table look good any how.  I have some supplies we can use like patches and handouts.  I can probably get bulkhead to send some handouts.  I have a few other Ideas as well.  I will get them in order and then see what you guys think.  This is a great idea I was planning on going anyway and handing out info to anyone I could get to talk. A table could draw more people.  I should be talking to Pat later this evening I'll see if he knows of any other resources to draw from.

Paul

III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

ksuguy

I'm pretty sure I've seen info about banners on the forum before, but I'll have to hunt for it. Everything was moved around when they revamped the forum.

Another good thing might be to have some rifles for display.  I've noticed at past shows that it helps to get peoples attention and get them over to the table.  Especially if you have something cool looking for the kids in attendance.

I'm thinking a 10/22 with the appropriate accessories (tech sights, sling, etc),  a Garand,  M1A, AR, FAL, etc.  If anyone has a revolutionary war style musket, that would be good too.

The ][rishman

Oh I am sure there are some banners.  Getting them may be the key.  I think what I saw most people doing was going out and getting them made on ther own.  It never hurts to ask they can only say no.  Or ingnore you altogether. 

I will ask bulkhead to ship some handout and some rev war flags.  Hats, T-shirts and shooting jackets would look good as well.  I like the Idea of setting up an AQT target 25m away from the table so people can get an idea how far/small the targets are.
III

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

ksuguy

I think there are some shared banners that they mail around for stuff like this, but I'm not sure how to go about getting one.  I'll have to hunt through the forum this weekend when I have some time.   If not, we might be able to have one made for $100 or so, we could probably get reimbursement for it.  I'm thinking something simple,  just a white one with a design kind of like the one that is on the front of the t-shirts.

Setting up the AQT might be good, but it would depend on where our table was located.  Might be that we wouldn't have a place to hang it that was 25 meters away.   

The ][rishman

I will walk 25m in any direction.  I will find a place.  Then I will bribe whoever happens to be in the position to say yes or no.  Getting the table for little or nothing, I think that will be hard.  I would mention that we are a non-profit.  I think we can provide the credentials for that as well.

I will be there regardless giving away handouts and talking to anyone who will listen.  So if we don't get a table I will still commit to working Saturday morning.

Did you find a banner?
III

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

ksuguy

Even we do have to pay, it should only be $50 or so for the weekend.  Plus, we would get in free with our dealer badges, so we wouldn't have to pay admission.

I posted on the resources forum asking about the banner.  Hopefully someone will answer and point us in the right direction.   

ksuguy

I'm going to call on Monday and make the reservation for the table.  I'll pay for it myself with my credit card and we can figure out how we'll do the reimbursement next weekend.    I'm not sure if the table fee is reimbursable from RWVA or not.  

Someone did point me to this thread here for the banner.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7406.0  Looks like we'll have to make our own if we want one.  I think maybe we should just go with a tabletop display for now, I'm probably not going to have time to hassle with getting a banner made next week.  

Paul, can you bring all the stuff for the table out to the coliseum before the show?  We could either do it the Friday night before, or just get there before the doors open on Saturday.  

4bfox

I'll know for sure about Sunday in a day or so...I can help out on the reg fee for $20-25 through my business...

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Got the table reserved.  They said we can just pay when we get there to set up.    Just let me know when you want to get out there to get the table ready.   According to their website, the table setup hours run until 8pm on Friday and before the show on Saturday starting at 7:30am.   

ksuguy

Just got back from day 2.  Thanks to Paul and Ben for helping out.  Hopefully we got the word out and we should see some new people come out when we resuming shooting in the spring.   We've also got a better idea on what we need to do at the next gun show.  There are few additional things that would have been nice to have on the table.   

The ][rishman

It was good to see some familiar faces as well as many new faces.

I had many people give the "A-ha" look when I explained who we were and what our goals were.  Some had heard of Appelseed and /or Fred's columns.  Others not at all.  On Saturday there were only positive comments and a few who were disinterested.  One man in particular had just been to a political rally that day looked at me very soberly after I summed up what we were about, said ( I paraphrase ): "With all the information I've heard today, I have alot to think about."  I think I witnessed an American waking up!  He thanked me and walked away with some information in his hands. 

I met a man who works with Saline County 4-H.  He was very interested in our program for his 4-H students.  We exchanged contact information.

We had others just stop by and encourage us in what we were doing. 

We certainly could use some better contact info.  I think we will get some bussiness cards printed up with web addresses on them.

All said I felt my time was well spent.

Here is a pic of KSUGUY.
III

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

ksuguy

I found that brochure I got at the last show for the Sedgwick county 4-H shooting sports group.   We might try contacting them as well and see if they are interested in coming out to Oxford or Eureka.   

4bfox

The copies of the bi-fold mini flyers I made went well...I just copied the outside (with the web address and Washington's quote) on colored cardstock. KSUGUY bringing his Garand was a great idea...something eye-catching to get them to look at the table.....that is one SWEET looking rifle! Sorry I couldn't make it Saturday, but one bonus of being there Sunday was some of the ammo prices dropped....of course I HAD to buy some, didn't want those poor guys to have to drag it all back home.  ::)

I think the county fairs, and maybe even the state fair would give us more exposure to the public. Our local radio station has been good to us too....we've talked about doing a couple of spots before the April 19 country-wide commemorative. One NICE thing about the radio is it only takes 15-20 minutes on-air at the station, and it hits LOTS of potential Appleseeders...  

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Yeah, the mini flyers were good.  I wish we would have had those on Saturday.   Ideally at the next show, it would be great to get a banner.   I suppose if we want to get really crazy, we could put up a peg board or display rack with a few different rifles to draw in the crowd.   Maybe a 1903, Garand, M1A, and an AR-15. That way we would have a historical display of various American service rifles (or at least their civilian legal versions).