News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Lobelville, TN, October 17, 18, 2009

Started by dond, October 19, 2009, 04:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Big Papa, the shoot boss for this event, is on his way to Osage Beach for an RBC at the  present time and requested that I submit the AAR post.

This AS was a resounding success because of the cooperation of two stellar families. Bubba and Sarah, and their large family, were the property owners and perfect hosts for the event. They even had breakfasts and lunches available for those who arrived early.  On top of that, most of their family made Rifleman scores.

The other family was, of course, Big Papa, Big Mama, and jeremyanderson80. They put on an terrific event with fantastic results. They were joined by Lineman and a newbie to instructing, Little Bit. Little Bit had qualified to be an IIT earlier but wanted to try it out before making a commitment. She did an excellent job of serving as an RSO and calling the line. She is now with us for the long haul. On top of that, her husband achieved a  Rifleman score. We're working on him. All of these instructors did an exemplary job.

In the AAR for last month's AS at this location, jeremyanderson80 encouraged the participants to dry fire at home. They must have listened. There were a total of 27 attendees at this AS.  There were 24 on the line each day and 16 earned Rifleman scores. Did you get that? SIXTEEN!!!  :D After all, we were in Tennessee. And it didn't rain like it did last month. Big Mama ran out of Rifleman patches and had to cut the one off her jacket to give to the last Rifleman. I think all of the shooters were fairly close neighbors to Bubba and Sarah. It would be a dangerous undertaking for any Regulars, or reasonable facsimile thereof, to try to invade this area.

One of the high points of this event occurred when I awarded Big Mama her Red Hat. She was reduced to tears. She really is a slim, 5 foot, Big Mama. Especially when she is shouting instructions or presenting history.

Everyone is anxiously awaiting the resumption of Appleseeds in Lobelville next year.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Bigdaddy

All,
Thanks for a wonderful informative weekend. I will be at another event soon...and I will be bringing company.
Robert Van Sant

SavageShootr

Great report Don...

Congratulation to BigMama on the Red Hat.  O0

Congratulations and ^5 to LittleBit for joining us in our efforts at bailing.

Congratulations to all the (did you really say 16? AWESOME JOB!!!) Riflemen.

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Live Oak

I took my the wife and 2 of our daughters to the this shoot.  We all had a fantastic time!  Learned a BUNCH!   MANY thanks to all of the orange, red, and green hats who made it such an enjoyable, productive, and safe shoot.  Special thanks to Bubba and Sarah for being so generous to provide their home and hospitality for the shoot.  Big Papa and Big Mama did an OUTSTANDING job; special thanks for loaning the girls your rifles for the shoot.  jeremyanderson80, thank you VERY much for the time AND patience in helping the girls shooting on the line.  dond, many thanks for taking the time to talk with my daughter Meagan, I enjoyed the chat with Mrs. dond as well.  We are looking forward to the next shoot and hope to bring the entire family next time. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

dart67eb

Third time's a charm. Finally got that patch!  Pete and I had a great time, as usual.  Congrats to Big Momma on the red hat!  Thanks again to the usual suspects and special thanks to Bubba and Sarah.  Pete loves your place and wants to move there.  Outstanding shooting by all of the younger bunch.  The Regulars definitely don't want to come down that valley!   :~ I hope to see you all again.  Maybe next time with an orange hat. Maybe in the future in Shelby County.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

jpanderson80

Thanks for getting this thread started Don. 

There is so much to say and report on after this shoot.  To the hosts - you are family... thank you for the invitation to your home and pass the cornbread.   ^-^  To the community there in the creek area - you are some of the best people I've met in my life.  It has been a great honor to be with you and to suffer through the rain last month and the cold this past weekend.

I think that I am most proud to have so many family units represented over the weekend:  father & son(s), entire families, brothers, mothers and daughters, neighbors - who might as well be family, brothers and sisters, extended families... the line was full of blood that ran thick.  I love it!  I especially love the perseverance and hearts of those on the line.  Sure, 16 patches being handed out was in fact amazing, but the bottom line is that the spirit of the Rifleman is very much alive and well in the hearts of those there this weekend.  It's one thing to hand out patches but it's something entirely different to literally be surrounded by Riflemen from the weekend.  I consider it a huge honor. 

Thanks to a great crew from the Henry County club that came down to instruct and to shoot.  It's wonderful to have such good friends and knowledgeable instructors on the line.  Lineman, Browns, Duncans, Normans... Thank you. 

I'm proud of Big Mama too.  Congratulations on a red hat... I have bad news though... Papa's still going to make you cook.    :'(  And that's fine with me! 

PS - someone tell Amber to control that mean dog of hers.   !@#)
Tennessee - the patron state of "shootin' stuff"

Big Mama

Where do we begin to let everyone know what a great weekend we had at Lobelville.  Many traveled several hours to arrive at Lobelville ready and willing to learn and their scores showed that they had the perserverance to become a Rifleman.  Thank you to all of the shooters for keeping great attitudes throughout the cold weekend.  As jpanderson stated earlier, the relationshiips that are founded by attending a shoot are priceless.  Like Papa told everyone at the shoot, "Appleseeders are the greatest people in the world."  Bubba and Sarah, your hospitality was overwhelming and Papa and I truly appreciate the gift that both of you and your brother, Steve, worked so hard to put together.  You are a great family!  Don, thank you for helping me to earn my red hat.  I will strive to pass on what you taught me to all of those who attend our shoots.  Thank you.  Papa is now at Osage Beach in a Boot Camp and will learn even more to share with the Appleseeders. Hey, Lobelville, when do you want to have another shoot?    Count me IN!
Big Mama   

dart67eb

Big Daddy,  Who is Robert Van Sant?  Is he from Lynard Skynard?

dethspec

Robert Van Sant  @) is from Skynyrd

Congrats to the entire Lobelville crew. You guys run a great program and I hate that Chase and I missed it.

Congrats to the Riflemen; hats off.

See you guys this coming year. With dry-firing and practice, I plan to get that patch with iron-sights. You guys have improved my shooting 1000% in one weekend.

Thank you,
Kip

hawkhavn

Big Mama -- Congratulations! I am so proud of you, now I can say 'I knew her when...'

And 16 new Riflemen, this is the stuff legends are made of, maybe a little ditchwater ran downhill... ;D

Hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

lineman

Great people, decent weather, good food, & a terrific AS. What else could you want. First, I would like to thank Bubba & Sarah for letting me stay with them & treating me like family & letting us have an AS on their property. The people at the AS were some of the best I've ever been around.
What a great community they live in. Of course all 3 Andersons did a terrific job. Congratulations to Mama for receiving her red hat. It was also
good to have Don & Sarah #2 there with us. Lil Bit also stepped up & did a good job. It was a pleasure to work with all of you. 16 out of 24
shooters made rifleman! AWESOME! Everyone did great & I look forward to going back to Lobelville for another AS. Til then, keep dry firing &
keep smiling. Jerry Hunt/Lineman

Mudcat

Congratulations on the red hat Big Mama. O0

16 Riflemen WOW!!! That sounds like a great shoot, keep up the good work.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Big Mama

Thank you to everyone that has called me or emailed me about earning my Red hat.  Don't ya'll think Papa should cook for at least a little while.  :)

Big Mama

dart67eb

Live Oak

Hey Big Mama, 

I have lots of great pictures from the Appleseed shoot if'n  you are interested. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Shooterer

Post them if you got'em

Shooterer
(from WI, but I like pics)
Stand up for what's right.... Even if you stand alone.

ghost

Congratulations Big Mama on receiving that "new hat". I first met you in Manchester and felt then that it was soon coming!

I don't know about Big Papa cooking, but he should definitely be taking you out to eat.

WOW! 16 out of 24.....is that a record?
"Be not deaf to the sound that warns!
Be not gull'd by a despot's plea!
Are figs of thistles or grapes of thorns?
How should a despot set men free?
Form! form! Riflemen form!
Ready, be ready to meet the storm!
Riflemen, riflemen, riflemen form!" - Afred Tennyson, "The War"

Big Papa

OK, just in from the RBC (Rifleman Boot Camp) at Osage Beach MO. You guys really ought to go to one of those things! Better yet let's have one here!
Bubba and Sarah, Thanks for everything! There is the heart of a Rifleman and there are the skills of a Rifleman, you have both. O0 Thank you!!
All the people at the Lobelville shoot were truly remarkable. It's an honor to call you friends.
Dond and Sarah, thanks for being there and the support you gave us.
While at RBC, I swiped a handfull of patches from The Guy, so Big Mama can "patch" her jacket again and we have enough patches for another shoot. :~ :~
I don't know why everyone is questioning my cooking. I was a cook a long time before I was a Rifleman! **) I can't afford to take Big Mama out to eat. She always orders the "deluxe" hamburger and extra fries! She usually wants cheese on it too. It's enough to bankrupt a guy like me! **)
Seriously, there is hope for America. It's in the hearts and minds of those like the Appleseeders at Lobelville. Thank you for being there. I look foward to seeing you and those that you bring with you, at ther next one.

Steve
Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

Live Oak

A few pics for this Appleseed.  Pardon my noobie photographic skills. 
George Washington

Live Oak

more pics
George Washington