News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Williamston, MI 10/17-18/2009 AAR

Started by TreadCarefully, October 19, 2009, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadCarefully

It was a cold start to an awesome Appleseed. 18 shooters Saturday barely fitting on the line with a little more room on Sunday. 4 Rifleman (Eric, Amy, Bill & Pete), many people knocking on the door and an important addition to the Appleseed lexicon ('cheek memory').

Well done! to all of the shooters who perservered through frozen fingers and toes, malfunctioning equipment and many sitting position drills.

Hope everyone had a good time. I know several of you caught the Appleseed bug. Looking forward seeing everyone on the Appleseed trail in the future - Fenton 2010!
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

JustTom

TC
I'll jump in to say thanks to you and your crew for a great Appleseed experience.(54 views, no reply?)

Even though I pooped out and left early Sunday, I still feel I got what I expected.

I WILL practice and overcome my lifetime of bad habits and learn to use what I learned to earn a patch.
I came close enough (202) that I think my 10/22 is as capable I need.

Thanks to the Capitol City Club for the great facilities too.

I'll be back!

Tom

rich1022

Thanks to all for a great time and wonderful learning experiance.  I had lots of fun (even though I was extreamly cold the 1st day). I learned alot, and can't wait for the next one!

also, special thanks to beefree for the loaner mags, and gopherboy for the loaner sling!

-Rich

softseller

Gopher Boy

Another Fantastic Shoot  O0
It's always great to see a group of people willing to brave the COLD, leaving the comfort of the couch, turning off that box and learn a new skill.  It gives one hope that the spirit of America is alive and growing. 

Remember the skills you have learned are tangible keep working on them, improve your score.  Develop that muscle and cheek memory, stretch out those muscles (Rifleman Yoga), and DRY fire. 

Congrats to our 4 new rifleman!
Congrats to BeeFree on the Red hat!
Softseller Thanks for all the GREAT pictures.
Thanks to TC, Beefree and in the burbs.  It was a pleasure working with you and I'll be back.  You're stuck with me now.
Hope to see you all again soon

G.B.

ITB

Great shoot, everyone!  :~

It was great to see a full house on Saturday even though the starting temperature was only 29°.  At least it didn't rain!

Everyone had a great, teachable attitude, and we saw much improvement between Saturday morning's redcoats and Sunday afternoon's.

The cold weather must have helped my voice - I didn't even have a sore throat on Monday.

Thanks to TC, beefree and GB.  I appreciated your support and feedback throughout the weekend.  Thanks, Dave for posting all the pics.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in Fenton in April. 

Don't forget the seventh step to taking the shot!

ETA: pics of our freshly-minted riflemen:

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

TreadCarefully

Great pics Softseller, Thanks!

Welcome Rich and Tom. I've had a couple of people contact me offline (Dazureus, Renegade) about the event too. Well done all of you. Hope to see you all contribute to the mission in the coming months and years.

If you think your local range might be up for an Appleseed then let us know how we can help you make the case. If not, go here http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=237.0 and grab a bucket!

See you all on the trail!
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

BeeFree

Cold, but fun...

Congrats to dazureus, Amy, Bill, & Pete on reaching Rifleman (woman!).  There are 5 more on that line who are SO close!  Thank you to everyone who came out on the first truly FRIGID fall weekend - it is inspiring to the staff when shooters are so obviously willing to learn, even if they have to jump up and down to keep warm...

MI's next AS already on the schedule is at Fenton on April 17-18, 2010.  If anyone would like something sooner, PM me w/contact info for their local range...  If anyone would like to promote climate change by doing a little publicity for us, I'd be happy to send them a pack of color reprints of the SWAT article about AS, along with a flyer that has all the upcoming regional shoots, to hand out to any friends who might be interested, or to take to your range, or post at the local library, or on other community bulletin boards...  AND, if anyone is interested in going the orange hat route, you can poke around here on the site about the process, and/or PM me with any questions you may have about it.  MI needs its own instructor corps so we can stop poaching in other states.

It was really neat to have so many women on the line (7 total for the weekend - most I've ever seen at a single shoot - a great excuse to tell some "dangerous ladies' stories").  And since I am all too familiar with equipment issues - it was impressive seeing folks adapt to and/or overcome them with only an eyeroll and a grimace.  :P  I have to admit that I have never had to loan out so many rifles, slings, mats, etc., before - I will certainly be increasing the amount of loaner equipment I own so I have more for future shoots  (it's always good to have an excuse for Mr.BeeFree as to why I want another rifle... thank you all for providing the perfect one!). ;D

It is always a pleasure to spend a weekend with Appleseeders,
BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

rachet62

Hey everybody! I am so impressed with all of my instructors that I've done nothing but talk about all of you: Gopherboy, Beefree, Treadcarefully, and I'm sorry but I can't remember the other instructor's name. Although I didn't earn my patch I came away from that awful cold day with knowledge, new skills (although a bit shaky yet) and a confidence in my step. I have not in many many years felt such respect from other people or such passion and desire to teach to the best of their ability from instructors. I didn't quite know what to expect when I got there, having very little experience with rifles but I can tell you I finally found people who match my intensity to learn everything I can with their intensity to share what they know.
Unfortunate for me, I was unable to attend the Sunday meet---it won't happen again!
Thank you especially to Gopher Boy for borrowing a mat thingy to shoot on (I didn't even know they existed!) and Beefree for the loan of a magazine! Of course many thanks to Treadcarefully you are an exceptionally motivating and encouraging teacher. I can hardly wait for Fenton 2010 and have already been checking the mileage to Miamisburg, OH O0
Rachet

Digger

I wanted to thank all of the instructors and my fellow shooters for a great event. It was clear to me that the instructors were committed to the individual success of the participants. How empowering to know you are not alone on the firing line!

Regards  ...Digger / Bill

colycat

Softsell, thanks for the picture link (reply #3 )  The range looked great with all the fall colors.  I especially liked the pictures of BeeFree with her new hat :) :) Nothing puts a smile on a girls face better than the hard earned red hat, a real girl that is.  I could'nt tell if she was wearing shoes though or not O0 O0

Great shoot guys

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Digger

Wow! Congrats on the red hat, BeeFree.

...Digger

BeeFree

Quote from: colycat on October 23, 2009, 12:15:05 PM
Softsell, thanks for the picture link (reply #3 )  The range looked great with all the fall colors.  I especially liked the pictures of BeeFree with her new hat :) :) Nothing puts a smile on a girls face better than the hard earned red hat, a real girl that is.  I could'nt tell if she was wearing shoes though or not O0 O0

Great shoot guys

Colycat

I had to put on shoes when the temp got below freezing... a bummer that trashed my easy elevation adjustments!  i'm thinkin' I might try those battery powered heated socks w/my sandals...

Thanks!
BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!