News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2009 Appleseed After Action Reports from Other Sources

Started by V, January 19, 2009, 11:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Here are some entries at Neardeathexperiments.com. The forum admin and his wife and a member attended.

BaldDragn

Quote from: V on January 19, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Here are some entries at Neardeathexperiments.com. The forum admin and his wife and a member attended.

Thanks for the promotion but I'm just one of the moderators at NDE. Sorry if I mislead anybody.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Greg in MO

This is a thread from one of my friends at missouricarry.com.  He was one of our students this last weekend and had a great time.  We are finally making some headway on this CCW site, after much pushing by a couple of us.  I think there are now 3 Appleseed threads running currently.  I think the thread speaks for itself!

http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26894&highlight=

Greg

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

MeanStreaker

We generally have a quite a bit of AS talk on our Ohioans For Concealed Carry forums (www.OhioCCW.org), so I don't post them all, but I thought this AAR was pretty nice:

Link

This member won a contest I ran for a free Appleseed certificate funfaler hooks me up with.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

MeanStreaker

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Garand69

Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

cmidkiff

nmmi9100

itshix

I posted this following my first Appleseed in Oxford, KS August 15/16th:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=36328

Generally favorable reports by others...

Cheers!

MeanStreaker

Here is a great report from a student that attended Sherburne, LA.

My First Appleseed Shoot - August 2009

As I would expect, the author thought very highly of dond and his lovely wife:

QuoteI quickly realized that Don, the gentle retired physics professor from Kentucky who volunteered to be our instructor, knew a lot more than me and indeed more than the small group of Marines who joined us. We learned about dragging wood, NPOA (Natural Point of Aim), how to use a sling, tighten up groups, breathing, zero sights and in general how to focus on getting hits on the AQT Army Qualification Test from the standing, sitting and prone positions.

We learned this from a man who was slight of build and had a gentle voice with a Kentucky drawl. Part of the weekend is spent hearing the story, as told by Don, of the first day of the Revolution. In his soft Kentucky drawl he told us of the bravery and determination the fighters for this nations freedom had...it was an amazing experience since as he was telling us a story too many of us are not familiar with the other rifle range continued operations. Against the backdrop of the crack of rifles we heard about the ambushes, the sacrifices, the tragedies and the horrors of the war. Horrors that our founders faced squarely. Don was an amazing instructor who volunteered to drive here from Kentucky to run this shoot...he is a man who knows what he is about. His wife rocks too!
--Thomas Paine

cmidkiff

Yet another happy concealed carry enthusiast from MissouriCarry.com...

http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=323304

Their yearly picnic is on October 3rd, Greg and I will be there, manning an Appleseed table.

DuaneRN

From Survivalblog.com 9/26/09

Letter Re: Range Report from Another Distaff Appleseed Shooter

James Wesley,|
My hubby and I attended an Appleseed Project shoot last weekend at a local range. Our reward for all our planning to finally make one. Wow! What an openly honest and insightful man Fred is about his Appleseed project mission. I chatted with him throughout the weekend. He is truly a passionate visionary and an active proponent of legislative action. He can readily account accurate attestation on any Revolutionary War topic concerning the acts of examples of Freedom and LIberty and the Preservation of Civilian Rights to bear Arms, by our Forefathers. With that vision and mission, he demands proficiency in participants in rifle knowledge, personal responsibility, safety on his ranges, and a basic but thorough and accurate account and understanding of the rewards and consequences of actions carried out by the History of our Revolutionary Forefathers who were so God Blessed in Wisdom and foresight.

Hubby and I are sore in places we didn't know could get sore. Between the two of us, we put near 1,000 rounds of ammo into the Army Qualification Target (AQT) targets and Redcoats down that firing line.

I'm quoting this from Fred from his posting on his Appleseed forum site. It is his observations made on the post-Ramseur shoot forum.
I was one of those "girls" he mentioned. (In fact I was the one who nailed the Redcoat center target at 400 yards!)
BTW, I had never shot the rifle I was using for this shoot, before that morning. This was my first target shots of the shoot and for that new Ruger 10/.22 rifle.

Here is a quote from Fred:

"There was a slight embarrassment on the first Redcoat target of the day.

Asked "who has three shots on the 400 yard target?" only one person raised her hand.

Asked "who has three hits on the 300 yard target?", three more hands went up - all girls!

Man, it was tough to be an hombre that morning... Grin."

Hubby also proudly qualified for his Rifleman patch on the day's last AQT firing round that evening. I missed it by 20 points, mostly due to time lost on bolt release malfunctions on the newly-manufactured Ruger 10/.22 custom he presented me with the night before this shoot.

I figure with a month of serious daily practice using all the new learned knowledge and skills, which were extended so generously to all of us, by every single one of those All-Volunteer instructors, I intend to go back on that line and do my duty of Survival Preparedness for my country, and for my family, and so that Future Progeny will be enabled to continue telling this story for future generations of riflemen.
Let us Never Forget! The lives of many Freemen paved the way for us today, to enjoy the lasting Liberty and Freedom of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and To be able to Protect this great country from tyranny. Never Forget them and our American Freedom Story! - KAF

Mudcat

Here is an article from a small local paper about the Carmi, IL. shoot sept 12-13.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

The Guy

Victor

Noticed this post by Jon from Florida over at SurvivalBlog.com and thought you might find it of interest:

"Dear Jim,
I attended an Appleseed Project shoot, and it was interesting. I really enjoyed everything about the program, the instruction, the history, and the camaraderie. I'm a newbie to shooting, and I think I may have had the wrong sling type. The type that the instructors had was a loop sling, but the kind I had was just a nylon strap. When trying to get into positions and change positions the strap kept sliding down my shirtsleeve. I did awful in the shooting, and really surprised myself at exactly how bad of a shot I am. I need lots of practice. In reading your site I see all these people who seem to be full blown commandos eating rusty nails surviving in the brush with nothing while always walking uphill in the rain against a hurricane while evading a hungry bear. It's a little discouraging for a newbie, as I sit down in front of my laptop with my microwave TV dinner.

Needless to say I'm going to sign up for another Appleseed project because I consider my first attendance a frustrating experience based on my inexperience. I was never able to find this so called (natural point of aim (NPOA). My natural point of aim seems to be my foot from a standing position. At 50 yards I'm all over the place, no grouping whatsoever, and most of the time I can't tell if I hit the target or not. Another thing to get used to is all the noise at the Appleseed. We were 70 to 80 people all within two to three feet of each other shooting everything from .22 to .308. The smoke, the noise, and the hot spent brass landing on your back from someone else's rifle made quite difficult to concentrate. I don't like anyone else to be shooting while I'm shooting. [JWR Adds: After you've resolved any flinching problems, I have found that the noise, distractions, and stress of a rifle match creates a good training environment for basic combat shooting. Although a rifle match doesn't come close to the stress of tactical rushes with bullets flying both directions, some stress is a good thing!]

I'm trying to overcome lots of bad habits already between the blinking, flinching, breathing, and focusing on the front sight. I'm going to get back at it and keep practicing. My reason for writing this to you is because perhaps some other rookie can find solace in the fact that not everyone on SurvivalBlog is Jeff Trasel running around with an M60. :) I'm a product of the "Me generation" trying to get re-acquainted with reality. - Jon in Florida"

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/10/letter_re_firearms_training_so.html

NOTE: Sorry if this is already posted somewhere but I didn't see it and noticed that you seem to be interested in participant feedback.

The Guy

Garand69

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

CortJestir

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

SamD

Cal 7.62

Someone posted a link to this Corona,Ca.writeup before. I can't remember where it was but I saved the link which is now outdated. I hunted around and found the new one. It's about 1/4 of the way down the page. I like the tech "sight picture" even if it's not "aligned on the target" I believe it's from last Oct.
http://towhichireplied.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Enli

I just this weekend attended an Appleseed event in Kentucky and am preparing photographs I have taken. We had a great time (despite my becoming ill on the second day) and my granddaughter came away saying, "We'll go again next year, Grandma."

She'd never shot anything before other than an airsoft, so this pleases me greatly and we saw much improvement from beginning to end - good job, folks - and thank you!

eaglescouter

Awesome writeup!

Quote from: Cal 7.62 on October 25, 2009, 03:50:59 AM
Someone posted a link to this Corona,Ca.writeup before. I can't remember where it was but I saved the link which is now outdated. I hunted around and found the new one. It's about 1/4 of the way down the page. I like the tech "sight picture" even if it's not "aligned on the target" I believe it's from last Oct.
http://towhichireplied.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
O0
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

yellowhousejake

Unfortunately I didn't get to instruct, and I will not accept any suggestions that I change my forum name to "sure foot" as my wife suggested  :))  Anyway, while I didn't ask for this write up, we got it, and it is a good one. My very sincere thanks to the crew at Auburn for handling this for me and making such a good impression on my invited VIP. I own you all, big time.

http://chicksontheright.com/2009/11/21/the-appleseed-project/

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ