News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A New York statewide Appleseed weekend.

Started by B9, October 15, 2009, 06:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

How about that? A weekend other than April 17-18 that every range in NY is hosting an AS.

Anyone here think of a day that is special to NY? How about a shoot weekend named after a special NY Rev War hero, battle or action?
The more obscure and lesser known the better in my mind. Make people say "who"? "when"? "where'?
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Vergeltung

spider

Nathan Hale Day.  They captured him in Halesite.  I drive by the marker everyday.
Work equals force times distance.  Force equals mass times acceleration.

"Live Free or Die;  There are many evils worse than death."  Gen. John Stark

B9

Quote from: spider on October 16, 2009, 09:13:57 AM
Nathan Hale Day.  They captured him in Halesite.  I drive by the marker everyday.

Hale is a good one.

Nathan Hale embarked on an espionage mission into New York as a volunteer.
Before leaving he said....

"I am not influenced by the expectation of promotion or pecuniary award; I wish to be useful, and every kind of service necessary to the public good becomes honorable by being necessary. If the exigencies of my country demand a peculiar service, its claims to perform that service are imperious."

Captain Hale was captured by the British, convicted as a spy and went to the gallows on September 22, 1776.
Medea Benjamin

nyrasgt

Alternative to Hale (after all, he was captured...and hung - with a great quote, but nevertheless...)
how 'bout Riflemen Col. Daniel Morgan (leader of Morgan's Riflemen - all members of which had to qualify [sound familiar?] to become a member of the hand-picked corps of 500)...Or a member of said corps, Timothy Murphy...sniper that killed both Sir Francis Clerke and Gen. Simon Fraser, thus causing "disarray" in the British command during the battle.
   At the Saratoga Battlefield, there is a marker commemorating Murphy, put up by NYS in 1929.  In dedicating said monument, (then) Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt said:
   "This country has been made by Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks.  Conditions here called for the qualities of the heart and head that Tim Murphy had in abundance.  Our histories should tell us more of the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals, that we were indebted for our military victories."
  Again, just a thought...
Excelsior,
mad
nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Chris Bennett

How about Henry Knox who captured the cannons at Ticonderoga and transported them thru the New York winterscape To help Liberate the port of Boston?

Chris Bennett

FYI, happened across a neat site, not sure if it's been shared before, but I apreaciated it.

http://www.revolutionaryday.com/

It's several day trips of Revolutionary War history spots throughout NY.

gunville

Victory at Saratoga seems to be the most important New York date.

Wiki:

The Battles of Saratoga, sometimes referred to as The Battle of Saratoga (September 19 and October 7, 1777) conclusively decided the fate of British General John Burgoyne's army in the American Revolutionary War, (known in the UK as the American War of Independence) and are generally regarded as a turning point in the war. The battles were fought eighteen days apart on the same ground, nine miles (14.5 km) south of Saratoga, New York. Burgoyne, whose campaign to divide New England from the southern colonies had started well but slowed due to logistical problems, won a small tactical victory over General Horatio Gates and the Continental Army in the September 19 Battle of Freeman's Farm at the cost of significant casualties. His gains were erased when he again attacked the Americans in the October 7 Battle of Bemis Heights and the Americans captured a portion of the British defenses. Burgoyne was therefore compelled to retreat, and his army was surrounded by the much larger American force at Saratoga, forcing him to surrender on October 17. News of Burgoyne's surrender was instrumental in formally bringing France into the war as an American ally, having previously given supplies, ammunition and guns, notably the de Valliere which played an important role in Saratoga[8]. French formal participation changed the war to a global conflict.

-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Fred

There's THREE dates for ya - September 19, October 7, and October 17 - take your pick - should be one on a weekend next year.

(In fact, it's Oct 17 which falls on a Sunday in 2010...)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

B9

Quote from: Fred on October 21, 2009, 09:51:53 PM

There's THREE dates for ya - September 19, October 7, and October 17 - take your pick - should be one on a weekend next year.

(In fact, it's Oct 17 which falls on a Sunday in 2010...)

OK, the weekend of Sept 18-19 2010 is open on the NY calendar. We are already having one statewide weekend April 17-18 and a shoot in Saragtoga Sept 18-19.
So let's start getting the ranges lined up.

I have no idea how many locations this shoot will entail, as new ones will be coming online, but I can tell you we are behind in Instructor numbers.

Medea Benjamin