News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Canton, MS - October 10, 11, 2009

Started by dond, October 13, 2009, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

WOW! What a great weekend for Mississippi! Thus far, Canton is the only range to host an AS, and this was their 4th one; and their most  productive. Eight Riflemen were produced. Two of these accepted Orange Hats. Five of the others want an Orange hat and will accept one when they attend their required second AS. The remaining one would dearly love an Orange Hat, but is physically unable to perform the duties. However, he actively promoted this AS without being asked to do so, and is insistent on promoting future ones. And at the end of this shoot he gave the best expression of the 7th Step I have heard. Furthermore, it was unsolicited and extemporaneous. In addition, another Mississippian, Determination 451, who had just completed his requirements for an Orange Hat previous to this shoot, accepted his hat and helped work the event. He has the honor of being the first Mississippi Orange Hat. Thankfully, he now has some company.  O0

Twenty-four shooters attended the event. Five were Sunday only shooters and two were Saturday only shooters. Some were physically able to only shoot a small amount, while some never even shot an AQT. They are to be commended for doing what they could. And all were highly supportive of the program. Five of the shooters were very young, but some were good shooters. The eldest of them shot a 197, and all improved.

Crak flew down from Boston to help instruct and did a terrific job. He was introduced to Southern BBQ and Southern Fried catfish and hushpuppies. His history presentations were exceptional. Everyone agreed that he should not be regarded as a Damnyankee, but accepted as an Honorary Southerner.  @)

Afterward we sat down with the rangemaster, who has been a strong supporter of the program from the beginning, and mapped out a tentative schedule for four ASs and an IBC for next year. The new Orange Hats and Riflemen are already investigating new ranges for next year.

There was only one undesirable element to the event: the proliferation of huge mosquitoes.  >:( They should be listed as the official bird of Mississippi.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

wesm

It was a great weekend indeed!  Thank you DonD (and Mrs. DonD) and Crak for all of the time and effort you put into producing a new crop of Riflemen.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated!  Thanks also to Determined451 for the help he gave on the line, and to the Rangemaster for hosting the shoot at Turcotte.  One Appleseeder had the honor of earning Rifleman, and also watching his two sons earn Rifleman as well!!  That is a fine-shooting family!  I have been shooting at this range for probably a year now, but this weekend was the most fun I've had shooting in ages.  I learned a lot of history and shooting techniques, and have been ready for another one ever since the weekend ended.  I have been encouraging family, friends, and coworkers to sign up for the next one!  Thanks again to all who helped to make this one happen.  Look forward to seeing you again soon! 

And as for the mosquitoes, they were kind of pesky at times, but after seeing the photos of the rain that Appleseeders at Fort Stewart, GA had this week, the mosquitoes weren't all that bad!!
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

Raven227

Another great weekend at Turcotte for Appleseed!!  This was our fourth Appleseed and believe me, there are more to come!!  I had the distince honor of watching both of my sons make rifleman!!  I was absolutely thrilled!!  That makes three in the family.  Dond and Crank did an exceptional job, I'm not suprised.  We had several return shooters from previous Appleseed shoots, and some first time Appleseeders.  The response here has been great with plenty of interest in future Appleseeds.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

crak

On top of the usual appleseed coolness, Raven pointed me at a sweet bonus on the way home.  Right next to the traffic circle leading to Jackson International is a little spot with about a dozen gravestones.  One marks the resting place of Jacob Neely, a Revolutionary War veteran who found his way down there after the war.  A very cool find.   :~
Check your drama at the door.

Cajun

Let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first Appleseed. It was great meeting everyone from the RWVA as well as learning some history and rifle techniques. I'm just sorry I wasn't feeling well and had to leave before sundown.

riflesef

Went to my first appleseed here in canton, and I absolutely loved it. I think what you guys do is awesome, and am glad i had the chance to participate in it, and can't wait to get my orange hat! I will be attending the instructor boot camp that I've been told is coming up! And I would also like to thank dond for giving me the final aqt so that i could walk away with RIFLEMAN!!! Cannot even begin to tell you how awesome that was! I had a great time and i can't wait to get more involved.