News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun Show Schedule (AKA; Promotions Possibilities!)

Started by Garand69, October 06, 2009, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

Heads Up Illinois!!!

We have a huge 2010 Schedule to sell out so we need every Promotions opportunity used to it's fullest potential.

We have a ton of Gunshows on the horizon, and historically, we have had a lot of Appleseeders learn of our Program via Gun Shows.

Let's take advantage of as many of these opportunities as possible. Please look at the schedule and see which shows you can help us out at and then send Pappy a PM and he will put you on the list!

If you know of a Gun Show not on the list, send Papy a PM and he will get it on the list

If you don't know what to do, just stay tuned, I will post what we need a Gun Show volunteer to do, at various levels.

October 3-4 Bellville, IL
opportunity lost :(

Oct 4 DuPage Co IL
Opportunity lost :(

Oct 10-11 Springfield, IL :'(

Oct. 11, Kane Co :'(

Oct 17-18 Aledo, IL :'(

Oct 17-18 Champaign IL :'(

Oct 18 Lakemoor IL :)
>Gumballhead, D.O.M.

Oct 24-25, Effingham, IL :'(

Oct 24-25 Princeton IL :'(

Nov. 1 DuPage Co. IL :)
>Garand69

Nov 7-8 Peoria IL :)
>Klippefurt, Patriot Gal, Castle Mountain

Nov 7-8 Lawrence IL :'(

Nov 7-8 CADA (st. charles IL) :)
>Garand69

Nov 14-15 Bloomington IL

Nov 21-22 New Berlin IL

Nov 28-29  Decatur IL

Nov 28-29 Princeton IL

Dec 5-6 Collinsville IL

Dec 6 DuPage Co, IL
>Garand69 & EEL

Dec 12-13 Kankakee IL

Dec 13 Kane Co IL
Garand69

Dec 20 Lakemoor IL

Jan 2-3 Tuscola IL :sos:

Jan 2-3 Springfield IL :sos:

Jan 3 Wheaton IL  :)
>Garand69, EEL

Jan 9-10 Belleville IL :sos:

Jan 16-17 Highland :sos:

Feb 6 & 7th  East Peoria, IL  ^:)^
> Castle Mountain, Patriot Gal

Feb 20-21 New Berlin IL :sos:

May 15 -16 New Berlin IL :sos:

June 5th East Peoria IL :sos: :sos: :sos:
>Castle Mountain, Patriot gal  

Aug 21-22 New Berlin IL :sos:

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Garand69

Gun shows can be worked several ways. Of course some ways are more effective then others, but any amount of effort pays off, we just hope you put in as much effort as you can. Remember the cause is worthy of your time.

Level 1, Drive By Promo (minimum effort/minimum pay off.)

This is acceptable only under a few occasions. It is better than nothing, but it is really hard to get the program across to someone. At a Drive By Promo, you print a bunch of flyers and drop then off at a gun show. Of course you ask permission and ask where you can place them.

The problem is that it is hard to answer questions, so your material has to have the answers. I recommend printing a two-sided flyer for this. On the front it is your standard State Schedule Flyer, and or National Flyer. On the back have the Frequently Asked Questions Flyer.

Level 2, Table Promotions (reasonable effort/good pay off)

This is a good promo effort. It is still minimal, but because you can answer questions or atleast direct the potential shooter to the right place for the info requested, you get better results. Ideally you can try to get the Gun Show Promoter to give you a break or even let you have it for free because RWVA is a 501(c)3 charitable organization. BUT if you can't, you can always sell some of your "junk" to help offset the costs or even make the day profitable for you.

For this, you need SWAT reprints, Blue Press reprints, General State Flyers, flyers for shoots close to the gun show, and other F.A.Q.'s flyers, AQT's and Redcoat Targets, and aRifle to draw them in (LTR or CMP Garand). Ideally this is a two-three man team operation, and it allows a fair amount of direct potential shooter contact.

Level 3, Full Out Table Promo (max effort/max pay off)

This will take some initial investment in a Appleseed Banner and maybe two tables with 3-4 volunteers. If access to a laptop is available, a nice slideshow running with good Appleseed Pics would be a nice touch. Take level 2 and add the banner, maybe a Revolutionary era flag, some bumper stickers a few copies of Paul Revere's Ride, A couple examples of LTR's and CMP Rifles, and you really have a nice presentation. Try to post a 1" squares target and or a Redcoat Target 25M away from your table where your potential shooters can see it from where your table is and you can throw the Rifleman's challenge at them.

This all is a bit of fun really, and by working together, you build better relationships with your 3-man Team. (You have a Team right???)

Appearance should be professional. If your are an IIT/Instructor wear your hat and an Appleseed t-shirt under your Shooting Jacket. If you are just stepping up to Volunteer to promote Appleseed, get an RWVA Hat from the Appleseed Store and an Appleseed T-shirt

Try several approaches to land the potential shooter. I start with the skill-sets learned and if that doesn't get them, I ask if they would like to buy an M1 Garand just like this one for $495???

A couple of very important tips regarding answering questions.

#1, If you do not know the answer, DO NOT BS YOUR WAY THROUGH IT!!! Defer to one of your team mates and if they don't know direct them to the web site.

#2, Stay on topic! Avoid at all costs deadender conversations. What's that? When some one wants to bend your ear endlessly on non-Appleseed topics that often include "truther, nwo, birthers, conspiracy this, conspiracy that" None of that has anything to do with Appleseed and regardless of what your beleifs are, it has no place being discussed at the table. You will get this from passers by, just simply re-direct the topic with the simple reply....

"Appleseed isn't just about marksmanship, it's about saving a Nation, If you want to save the Nation, get to an Appleseed."

And then leave it at that, and go for the next person to walk by and start your magic all over again.

Well, that should get you started, now check out that schedule and see what level you can commit to and let Pappy know via PM such as....

Hey Pappy, I have to drive through Riflemansburg the weekend of the gunshow there, I can't get a table, but I can drop off flyers...

Or..

Hey Pappy, My 3-Man team is ready to rock, a banner is on the way and we need material for the two-day show in Notacookston.....

After you do that your name will magically appear uder that Gun Show on the schedule above. That's when follow through is everything!

You get the drift, now lets get to work Illinois!!! Got questions fire away!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Patriot Gal

I (we) should be able to help Cliff out at the Peoria/East Peoria gun show on the 7-8 Nov. and the Bloomington one if we are okayed there on the 14th-15th. 

The only thing that may change this is that I've offered to take my son/dau-in-law to an AS in Davilla, Tx the 7-8th if they want.  It will be a quick trip down to Grand Prairie to get them and do the Davilla weekend but should be great fun if we can pull it off.  That weekend is at the end of a RBC week so they probably won't need an Illinois IIT there but, we'll see....
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Gumballhead

You didn't add me & DOM to the sched...we did the 10/18 show in Lakemoor, and will be glad to do the 11/15 Show there (Super secret! just announced).  Also, we can do the December one also.

Anyone reading this in the area who wants to join, please feel free.  The show is small-ish, but I got some good traffic.  Many people know of Appleseed, as well as supporters from Racine & McHenry County Sportsman Club.  i think we got a table for free.  i had my LTR & CMP Garand on dispaly, as well as some flyers for the last 2 Ottawa shoots of the season!

Gopher Boy

I'll help out at these shows in the north.  (Sorry I missed he 18th.  I ended up at a shoot)

Garand...  If we can get some handouts that would work wonders.  At least the swat article and a few of the Green AQTs.

Lets talk to Don at D &J Guns in Lakemoor and the Range there on 120.   Hopefully they will let us post the schedule and handouts.  Sons of Liberty is friends of the owners of AWOL army surplus.  He has already spoken to them a little and is pretty sure they will let us post the schedule in the store with handouts.

What do people think of the idea of a free day pass for the owners only of these establishments?  My thought is it might be good to get these people to come to a shoot and show them the light.  Let try carrot before we have to use the stick...  &)

G.B.

Gumballhead

I have a huge box of SWAT & Blue Press Reprints.  What we need now will be some new flyers for the upcoming shoots for 2010.  I have some QDAQT's, but no redcoats.

We've handed out some SWATs to D&J earlier this year, and I think there would be no problems with adding a schedule too.

Glad to have the help!

Castle Mountain

Three 'new gun shows to work in Central Illinois as a result of contacts I have made with
Midwest Gunbrokers (East Peoria,IL) Thanks to their President Mike James (what a great guy he is).
Likes what Appleseed is doing. Also a small range may be made available for some shoots.

1. Feb 6 & 7th we are being given two tables for display (free) and we may set up amonst 180 to 200 tables
next to the NRA,& Illinois State Rifle Assoc. Estimated 1800- 2000 people pass through this show.

2, November 2010 I will get the exact date but I think it is also 6 & 7

3. JUNE 5th  Gun Manufacturers Show, held at the Midwest Gun Collectors Rifle range. Armalite, Springfield Armory, Remington and others will be
there to strut their stuff. They make a lot of sales through Midwest Firearms. The interested shooters are given opportunity to shoot the manufactures
rifles and try them out.  Yes , I think you can come and shoot an AR -50 big rifle. We will have another display booth there also.

Patriot Gal and I will need some help here. Details to follow later.

Thanks

Castle Mountain.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Castle Mountain

Three 'new gun shows to work in Central Illinois

as a result fruitful discussions with Midwest Gunbrokers (East Peoria,IL), 
thanks to their President Mike James (what a great guy he is).

Likes what Appleseed is doing and they want to partner with us.. Also a small range may be made available for some shoots.

1. Feb 6 & 7th we are being given two tables for display (free) and we may set up amonst 180 to 200 tables
next to the NRA,& Illinois State Rifle Assoc. Estimated 1800- 2000 people pass through this show.

2, November 2010 I will get the exact date but I think it is also 6 & 7

3. JUNE 5th  Gun Manufacturers Show, held at the Midwest Gun Collectors Rifle range. Armalite, Springfield Armory, Remington and others will be
there to strut their stuff. They make a lot of sales through Midwest Firearms. The interested shooters are given opportunity to shoot the manufactures
rifles and try them out.  Yes , I think you can come and shoot an AR -50 big rifle.   :~  :~ :~
We will have another display booth there also.

Patriot Gal and I will need some help here. Details to follow later.

Thanks

Castle Mountain.
May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life.  ~Francis Marion~

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Missouri Brigade

I will plan on helping at the February show.

Pappy

Great job fellows  :bow: O0 ^:)^ any time you get a chance to bail and put the word out is a great day :--- :~ ~~:) now where else can we go???  ;D ;D ;D Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

EEL

Quick reminder.....If you get some leads on Gun Shows in your area....By all means work on 'em......

Just remember to get Pappy in the loop.  He is our State Gun Show co-ordinator.  He can provide you assistance, advise, and resources without you having to re-invent the wheel.  :P    Many handouts we use are posted on this site ready for download and to be copied off at Kinko's, O.Max, etc.

Nice work.  Promotion is the key to a great 2010 season.  Yeah, yeah, Fred.  I know.  Thinking "2010" is thinking statically.  &)   &)   &)

Take 2:

Nice work.  Promotion is the key to saving this country shoot by shoot, year by year!!

Castle Mountain

Promo every day man! Met a former Army SDM in Indiana who has read Fred's articles in shotgun magazines and elsewhere
and knew of Appleseed. Just never met one. Until that is he met me. He has vast experience and is willing to work toward
donning the Red Hat. Great fellow. We are staying in touch. O0

Met a Texan the other day (named Tank)  who is signing up for an Appleseed shoot with in next week in Develia Tx.
He plans to bring his 14 year old son and his two former marine brothers also. Copied down the names of the books I handed him
and devoured the AS stories. He is in. HOw do I know??? He bought me supper. Then later that night up in Wisconsin he
paid for my apple pie and ice cream ;D. We may now have five people we will be bringing to Develia Tx for the shoot Dec 26 & 27
Forgive me I come back with a Southern drawl eh. :cool2:

Got  people in the Attorneys General's department and Sherrif's dept also interested.

CM

OutaAmmo

Quote from: Pappy on December 18, 2009, 01:04:59 PM
Great job fellows  :bow: O0 ^:)^ any time you get a chance to bail and put the word out is a great day :--- :~ ~~:) now where else can we go???  ;D ;D ;D Pappy

Quote from: Garand69 on October 06, 2009, 11:16:26 AM
Heads Up Illinois!!!

We have a huge 2010 Schedule to sell out so we need every Promotions opportunity used to it's fullest potential.

Nice work.  Promotion is the key to a great 2010 season.  Yeah, yeah, Fred.  I know.  Thinking "2010" is thinking statically.  &)   &)   &)

Take 2:

Nice work.  Promotion is the key to saving this country shoot by shoot, year by year!!

Quote from: Castle Mountain on December 19, 2009, 02:24:58 AM
Promo every day man!

- 2010 SPORTS, BOATS & RV SHOW SCHDULE -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATE  SHOW CITY
Jan. 8-10  .. Let's Go Fishing Show .. Collinsville, IL www.letsgoshows.com   
Jan. 8-10  ..Chicago Muskie Show..  Palatine, IL  www.chicagomuskieshow.com   
Jan. 8-10 ..All Canada Show - St Louis..  St. Charles, MO  www.allcanada.com   
Jan. 11-13 ..All Canada Show..  Indianapolis, IN www.allcanada.com   
Jan. 13-17 ..Chicago Boat, RV & Outdoors Show.. Chicago, IL (McCormick Place - North) www.chicagoboatshow.com   
Jan. 14-17  ..All Canada Show -Chicago..  St. Charles, IL www.allcanada.com   
Jan. 14-17 .. St Louis RV, Vacation & Travel Show..  St. Louis, MO www.stlrv.com/stlrv/Welcome.html 
Jan. 15-17 ..The Boat Show.. St. Charles, MO www.letsgoshows.com   
Jan. 15-17 ..Quad City Boat, RV & Vacation Show . Davenport, IA  www.iowashows.com 
Jan. 21-24 ..All Canada Show..  Milwaukee, WI (in Franklin) www.allcanada.com   
Jan. 22-24 ..West Kentucky Boat & Outdoor Show..  Murray, KY  www.westkyboatshow.com   
Jan. 25-27 ..All Canada Show..  Madison, WI (in Middleton) www.allcanada.com   
Jan. 27-31 ..America's Outdoor Show.. Rosemont, IL www.americasoutdoorshow.com   
Jan. 29-31 ..** Illinois Fish & Feather Expo**..  Bloomington, IL http://www.illinoisfishandfeather.com 
Feb. 5-7 Southern Illinois Boat & Fishing Show -a FREE Event  Williamson County Pavilion, Marion, IL  Vendor info Ron Allen at 217-725-7602 
Feb. 10-14 ..Chicago RV Camper & Van Show..  Rosemont, IL  www.chicagorvshow.com   
Feb. 10-14 .. St. Louis Boat & Sports Show .. St. Louis, MO www.stlouisboatshow.com   
Feb. 13-14  .Tinley Park Fishing & Outdoor Show .. Tinley Park, IL www.tinleyparkfishingshow.com 
Feb. 18-21 .. QCCA Outdoor Show .. Rock Island, IL www.qccaexpocenter.com 
Feb. 19-21 ..St. Louis Deer Classic & Outdoor Expo..  Collinsville, IL  www.amdeerclassics.com 
Feb.20-21 ..Deerfield Outdoor Show  We Hear This Show Has Been CANCELED www.deerfieldoutdoorshow.com/
Feb.26-28 . .the Boat Show  Springfield, IL www.letsgoshows.com   
Feb.26-28 ..QCCA RV, Camping & Travel Show. Rock Island, IL www.qccaexpocenter.com   
Feb.26-28 .. Illinois Deer & Turkey Classic.. Bloomington, IL www.deerinfo.com 
Feb.26-28 ..Madison Fishing Expo..  Madison, WI  www.madfishexpo.com 
Mar. 5-7  .. Central Illinois Rec. Show .. Peoria, IL www.eventsltd.org   
Mar. 5-7  .Boat Show & Fishing & Outdoor Expo.  Rockford, IL  www.showtimeproduction.net   
Mar. 6-7 **..Elmwood AllOutdoors Show..** Elmwood, IL www.elmwoodalloutdoors.com   
Mar.19-21 ..Rockford RV, Camping and Travel Show..  Rockford, IL  www.showtimeproduction.net   
Mar. 26-28 ..Springfield RV & Camping Show .. Springfield, IL www.eventsltd.org   
Apr. 9-11 ..Wisconsin Deer & Turkey Classic ..

2010 Sports Show schedule by  larryfishinghole.com

My take on gun shows and I go to about 1/2 dozen a year for the last 40 years or so is that Appleseed need to continue promoting at them.  It seems to me that I always see the same old guys at the gun shows and very few younger folks that might benefit by attending an Appleseed.  Most of those old guys are set in their ways and know more about shooting rifles than Appleseed does.  If they have any kids or grandkids they just want to take them out to the range or their farm and teach them.  Now the old guys are the guys that own alot of land and are possible DAR sources.

Now when I go to Sports Shows I see alot of older people and younger families dragging their kids and pushing strollers around.  This younger set is the future of Appleseen in my opinion.  Most of the sport shows have stuff for the kids (3 shooting ranges) this year next month at the Illinois Deer and Turkey Classic.  The fishing shows have casting ranges for the kids.  How many gun shows have something for the kids??

I go to a gun show and they say they are having a good weekend,  Attendance might be 1500-2000 old guys with a handful of grandkids.
Go to the Illinois Deer and Turkey Classic equals 30,000 people with maybe 10,000 kids having fun at the kids gun and archery  ranges.  The biggest Hunting sport show in Illinois!!
The Fin and Feather Expo will have 6000-7000 attendence with lots of kids.  I personally will be helping at the kids archery booth at both of these events and I have seen some of the same kids shoot on Friday and come back on Sat and Sun.  Now if you can get these kids hooked like that the will be Appleseed canidates.
The fishing and camping/rv shows may not be as good but they get alot of attendence and it looks like a better way to promote Appleseed than the gun shows.

There is a gun show every year the same weekend in Bloomington purposely to get some of the spin off from the Illinois Deer and Turkey Classic.  All 102 of the Illinois counties are represented at the Deer Classic.   

I do know that this is the last year for the Deer Classic at Bloomington because part of the building has been sold.  I know that The Lexington Sportsman Club has run the BB/Pellet gun range and there is always a long line of kids to shoot the BB guns.
Now I believe that this would be a good oportunity for Appleseed to pickup the BB gun range for next year if the Lexington Sportman Club wants to give it up.  What better way to promote Applseed than to have a kids gun range and people form all of 102 counties at one place.

Its probably to late to do much on the sport show schedule but it is probably not to late to start now for the 2011 sport show season.

Thanks for letting me vent and this is just my .02 cent worth

OutaAmmo
Dave R
Appleseed Rifleman

Pappy

Hello Group; I am all for promo where ever you can bend a ear. As far as gun shows go if you do not want do promo at them fine, there are other folks who will... The shows that are listed below are quite large.  Were looking into one of them in the Bloomington area. If you would like to make the contact and contract $ at a show I can help you with hand outs. If you need a banner contact (V) he has them and they are cheaper now than they were... Make every contact work for you and do not let a day go by without selling the program to someone. Many of the larger shows book a year in advance, so go and make contacts with who is in charge get the scoop on FEE`S TABLE RENT $$$$$ Remember we are a NON PROFIT group this should have a effect on the FEE. Also at this point we (ILLINOIS) as far as I know have not turned any show table rent fees in for reimbursement. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Missouri Brigade

I was at the East Peoria gun show most of the day on Saturday and again on Sunday morning.  We had a nice display set up and we were able to talk with several people who showed a great amount of interest in the program.  I think I could have easily sold my Ruger 10/22 LTRs, but I kind of need those.  You heard it here first---the Chillicothe and Bloomington shoots will be sold out.

Ashes

Quote from: Missouri Brigade on February 07, 2010, 05:25:22 PM
I was at the East Peoria gun show most of the day on Saturday and again on Sunday morning.  We had a nice display set up and we were able to talk with several people who showed a great amount of interest in the program.  I think I could have easily sold my Ruger 10/22 LTRs, but I kind of need those.  You heard it here first---the Chillicothe and Bloomington shoots will be sold out.

Nice job!  O0
btw: Did I ever get back to you on reloading components?

Patriot Gal

Unbelievable!!!!  I swear, my husband, CM,  could sell an iceberg to a Gila Monster in Arizona!!!  He just got us FREE exhibitor admission to the GUN SHOW Feb.26-28 ..

We have to bring our own tables (done) and they will make sure we have power (for the laptop youtube videos of Appleseed) and will position us against one of the overhead doors so we have a backing for the banner!!!  I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^

OKAY Illinois!!!!   :sos: We will need manpower help to "press the flesh" and be able to talk to everyone who wants to hear of Appleseed!!!  Wurstmacher clan, BF, OutaAmmo, GB, Missouri Brigade, Cliff.  Anybody else????? Garand?, EEL, Pappy???? Northern Illinois??? Iliconsin????

This is gonna be GREAT!!!!!!  WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Pappy, we'll need more flyers.  Fred???  I'll need to print out LOTS of Illinois Schedules.

Can you tell, I'm excited about this!!!!!  We're gonna need more shoots!!!!!!!!!! Such a problem, we should have, right!!??

Please wear your shoot jacket, AS T-shirt and orange/red/green hat!!  Really helps give us a presence!  ;D

Cliff, can we just keep your blankets 'til then?  Missouri Brigade, can we use your flags again??  I think you and I switched the '76 flag BTW, mine is an older one.

This is great!!! Looking forward to seeing MANY people there.  This is the biggest one we may get into in Illinois, folks.  Let us know who all will be able to make it.  

We ARE out to save our Nation!!!!
Patriot Gal

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Fred

We just "worked out" ideas here in NC for gun show tables. IIRC, here they are, for you guys to use as needed:

1. Have guns on the table - an LTR (but be sure to stress, they can bring any safe rifle - they don't have to buy equipment to come), and an AR-15, Garand, and M1A - plus any others you want/like.

2. Have a donation jar - maybe make enough to pay for the table? Warning: to keep our tax status OK, you'll need to report any funds collected - whether donations, sales, etc.

3. Have a drawing/raffle - with the winner to get a FREE certificate for an AS. Try to have the general PA announcement about the raffle ("There's a raffle at the RWVA Appleseed table" followed by "XYZ is the winner of the raffle at the AS table", etc) - a few public announcements like that can really make your presence known amongst the audience.

Here's a high-energy variant of that: Have an hourly raffle drawing for an AS T-shirt, and a daily raffle for the free (value: $80) certificate - plenty of PA announcements then. Raffles allow you to collect telephone numbers and email addresses for later followup. Better, if you are of a mind to do this, is a clipboard with a petition on it supporting the Appleseed program...

4. Have things to sell: RWVA patches, T-shirts (yes, you'll have to gather some 'left-overs' from AS shoots in your state).

5. Have some Rev War flags strung up behind your table (which is why "wall" tables are best) - and be sure you can name each one and tell them the story behind it.

6. The "uniform of the day" for our volunteers should at a minimum be hats - orange, red, pink, and/or blue - and red Instructor sweatshirts for the Red Hats will really stand out. Appleseed Ts for the rest (worn over sweatshirts in cold weather) for the rest...

7. Have some free targets - hand each person a Redcoat target and say "here's a target which answers a question I bet you never asked yourself: how far off am I effective with my rifle?" You could also have "learn today, teach tomorrow" handouts.

That's a few of the things we discussed this weekend at the NC Instructor's gathering.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

Here's some comments from New England I was PM on:

QuoteThese [gun] shows are so effective that I would do every single one I could if I had the opportunity.  My experience at the Manchester show last month was outstanding.   At least 100 more people know about Appleseed as a result of that show.  And of those I'll bet about half will show up on the line.  That's a great hit rate.

All you have to do is sell $60-80 worth of stuff to break even.  I sell Appleseed patches and slings, studs, and swivels.  Two sling kits at $35, and a patch or two, and I've made back my table reservation. 

I've sold a couple of the T-shirts, too, but I'm not sure if selling them is kosher.  That would be good to know, as they are the easiest thing to sell and are SUPER advertising.  One guy even wore his shirt back at the gun show the next day! [Selling them is kosher, but accounting for the money is required. Naturally.]

I have digital versions of all the booth fliers if you'd like them.  I usually bring some exotic looking rifle to put on the table.  The tricked out LTR's and M1A's really bring them in.

PS: Hat's off to CM for obtaining the table! We may have to put him on our new roster of "Eskimo refrigerator salesmen"!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

nyrasgt

Concur re raffle and rifles on table.  Another DOM and I did Albany, NY Gun Show (appx 500 tables) 1/23-24 and brought case of CMP catalogs as table give-aways - were very popular, esp since we had examples of CMP Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903A1 Springfield, and CMP Bushmaster AR15, along with an LTR, on the table.  Nearly everyone stopped to look at the rifles, and stayed to hear the 7th Step.
  We were also able to make contact with members of a number of ranges not yet hosting, but wanting to; recommend tables have good supply of Host Applications to give to club members and officers.
Excelsior,
mad
nyrasgt
PS  Have contact email for anyone wanting to request a case of CMP catalogs...
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Patriot Gal

Great idea on having the host applications at the ready.  We will have raffles and certificates for this next show.  I think I picked some up at Pappy's at the IBC.  We will need to secure some T-shirts altho' I may have a few new ones myself to use. We had Missouri Brigade's LTRs on Sat and CM's AR-338 on Sun.  They certainly do attract attention!!

I had my AS T-shirt on under my shoot coat, but it was too cool in there to take the coat off.  Next time I'll put a turtleneck shirt under the T-shirt.  :D

Thanks for the feedback!   O0
PG

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

txpirate

Fred hit the major points of guns show promotions covered in the NC instructors meeting last Sat (yes, it was at a Golden Corral) **)

The redcoat target is a real ear-opener. I would have one in my hands, and as people milled by, I would ask something like, "Have you ever seen a target like this before?" Then I would explain the target as a tool for determining one's maximum effective range, going from top to bottom with the reduced silhouettes, and then talk about the 250yd head shot (feel free to make a crack about PC'ness here, laughter always helps). Then I try something like this:

"Now with their flintlock, muzzleloading, black-powder smokepoles our forefathers could make this shot in the War for Independence, so it should be real easy with our modern rifles and ammunition, right? So, here, take a couple of these targets home [pirate hands them targets and literature] and put them up at 25 yards. If you find you can't get all three shots into that smallest target, come to an Appleseed."

At this point, if they are still standing there, they are interested and I explain Appleseed. If not, well, the seed was planted, and some seeds require time to start sprouting.

Pappy

Very well Done; Nice photos and setup.. Sounds like you will need more handouts. With the amount of people who go through that place you may be better off with a direct shipment from FRED. I am sure that thousands of folks will attend they always have.
Pappy

Missouri Brigade

I can do the Belleville gun show on May 1-2, 2010.  Does anyone have a good contact with the Egyptian Collector Association (ECA)?  If not, I will call and see if they can give us a break on a table.  I will let you all know when this is finalized as I would appreciate some help working the show.

Pappy

Quote from: Missouri Brigade on February 09, 2010, 12:57:51 PM
I can do the Belleville gun show on May 1-2, 2010.  Does anyone have a good contact with the Egyptian Collector Association (ECA)?  If not, I will call and see if they can give us a break on a table.  I will let you all know when this is finalized as I would appreciate some help working the show.

Go ahead and make the contact, See what they will do for us... We will do our best to see that you will not be a lone scout... Pappy

Patriot Gal

Castle Mountain and OutaAmmo have the phone number for that guy.  Actually, that's the gun show in Illinois we'll be at the end of the month.  It's in the building right next to the Deer and Turkey Classic.  Gonna be a big weekend!  It's also sponsored by the Egyptian Collector Association.  

I'll PM you the info I have with the Bloomington contact who should be able to help you.

PG

PM sent

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Castle Mountain

Folks this E Peoria gun show was reported to me as being a record for them.
Over 1500 people came on Saturday with close to 1000 on Sunday. Although we
had fewer people on Sunday it seemed that we enjoyed much larger crowds and people staying
longer at our table. Likely because of the blue banner and having the big .338 sitting on the table.
Our friends from Midwest Firearms did a scorching business during those two days. We were
blessed to have a table next to the folks that were the busiest. @)

For the next gun show on Feb 27 & 28th in Bloomington,
we obtained a HP 24 inch Monitor and will be setting up the lap top with Altec Lansing speakers and sub woofer
for full stereo presentation effect with dub over music... selection choosen...'The Promenade' from
Last of the Mohican's. Great colonialist theme music and very dramatic against the background of
British musket fire in the background. Very dramatic indeed.   O0

Working on a second banner full colour
to display next to the blue one. A graceful  flag draped table and crisp sharp  good looking Appleseeders
with smiling faces we are going to rock!  ..:..

Thanks everyone for your support.... Wurstmacher, Klippert, Missouri Brigade.. Patriot Gal.. you guys
made it happen.  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 Thanks to Bowfisher for the Mclean County Sportsman show dinner tickets. A great
intro to a big money raising event. I hope we harvest a few from their rank and file. You have been
a great help Bowfisher. Hats off to ya'all for making this E Peoria AS show such a success. We generated
a significant interest and I have some wonderful contacts to follow up on and have already been in contact
with and things look great.  ..:..

Cheers,

CASTLE MOUNTIAN

"Liberty is one of the choicest gifts that heaven hath bestowed upon man, and
exceeds in value all the treasures which the earth contains within its bosom,
or the sea covers. Liberty, as well as honor, man ought to preserve at the
hazard of his life, for without it life is insupportable."

~ Cervantes [Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra]~

Castle Mountain

Missouri Brigade!!!   Call me brother and we will get things happening on the Belleview show you are after.
We got Pappy's blessing to run with the ball. We will be meeting the key man at the show to make this happen
for us. We have a 6 ft table and a five so we should be ok. It was nice to have the 16 feet given to us at E. Peoria eh?
If we can round on up or borrow a full 8 footer, we can bring it out in my truck.

Cheers,

CM

Patriot Gal

lol  It's Belleville, Il.   LOL  Isn't Bellevue the notorious hospital in New York with that insane asylum!?!?!?!?

Don't go there!!!!  **) **)

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan