News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Getting loaner rifles (How to)

Started by Lomshek, October 05, 2009, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lomshek

KSUGuy's post from June asking for loaners for a scout troop made me want to post how I've procured extras in the past. I thought I'd share it for those needing rifles in the future.

I've run a few beginner rifle & handgun training sessions for ROTC cadets, new shooters and one NSSF First Shots (intro to guns program). By being active in my club shooting events, Christmas parties and attending meetings before I was ever an office holder I was well known by club members. This made it easy to fire off an email to the club membership at large and secure a half dozen 10/22's and other .22 rifles plus handguns. More were offered but we had all we needed.

The key is being active in the club.

Attend the club meetings and contribute what you can. Maybe that's just volunteering to help with range pick-up or maintenance. Don't just be a wallflower but actively participate in the meetings.

Take part in club matches. If you're in Appleseed you probably do (or should) be doing high power matches, how about some USPSA or IDPA or some kind of 3 gun. Maybe CMP .22 matches are your style. The more events you do the more club members will know you well enough to trust you with their guns. Try some matches that aren't your usual thing too.

Out of our club of 200 members there are maybe a dozen that I would loan a gun to. Not because I have a reason to not trust the others but because those are the ones I spend enough time around to really trust.

Just a thought,

Lomshek
Bone Creek Gun Club president