News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa Shoot November 8-9

Started by sanderman79, October 09, 2008, 02:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanderman79

Toccoa is just around the corner yall.  Is everyone ready and excited? I know I am.  It is being held at The Georgia Mountain Shooting Association Range.  We get 25m and full distance out to 300y, you just cannot beat that.  It also the home range of an Master Instructor so you know there is learning to be had.You gotta feed yourself but if you camp there will be a warm fire to relax next too after a long day of Rifle Marksmanship.  So big yourself and anyone else you can drag along.  A good time will be had by all!

ann

yep.  i'm raring to go.  my son is too.  been passing out flyers and sticking them up wherever they'll let me.  sure hope it brings in more folks.

Flathead

I am looking forward to this shoot agai!!! It will be the first time since April that I have got to work with SoM!!  For those that have not got to hear him talk about the history will bring chill bumps on the neck and arms and almost put a teer in the eyes. The Toccoa range is a good range to train on with the multiple bays to put students into gruops of experience or if some one needs additional training that can be put with an instructor and get one on one training if needed.  It looks like we will be camping in the grass again this time instead of the mud bowl!  Hope fully no 4-wheel drives will be needed to rescue campers!

Looking forward to spending time with freinds both old and ones that I don't yet, so get off the couch, clean your rifle, and get to Toccoa and attend an Appleseed!

Son of Martha

Thanks Ann, good job on the seventh step.

Remember all, this time around the range has imposed a $10/person fee for the event--don't be taken by surprise.

Camping on-site is still allowed, Flathead or myself will be there Friday afternoon to unlock.

Water is available, bring bulk water carriers.

While the range is not too far from town, it is a lot easier to bring powerbars or MREs and a bottle of water for chow during the event.

Please go here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1208.0

Print out the flyer at the bottom, and spread them around.  Might find someone to carpool with and save on gas--as well as a potential ally for the mission.

Cya there.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

agentofwrath

Much to my wife's cahgrin, I'll be pulling my son out of school that Friday so we can drive up to Toccoa for our first Appleseed.  I just told him about it and he's very excited.  He'll put his Ruger 1022 through it's paces for sure. 

Any cons about camping on site?  Probably more pros, but I thought I would ask.  Really looking forward to the shooting and the cameraderie!

Jay & Joel (Father & Son)
Savannah, GA

Flathead

The only bad part of camping on site is the primitive conditions we have there, not hot running water and no warm tiolet seat to sit on!!!  As far as taking your son out of school, tell the scholl that you are taking him to a history event and just have him do a report on it to give to his class when he gets back. It worked for my daughter, and the other kids might get interested in it and tell their parents about it!
The best part of camping on site is getting to spend down time with all the new freinds that you will have made!

sanderman79

Ya at least there is a real toilet though.  I am bringing tons of firewood to keep us warm throughout the night. 

Junior Birdman

Hey Flathead! Did y'all order extra red clay? You don't want to run low like last time!   :D

Folks, you don't want to miss this one.  Range layout dictates smaller lines and that means less shooters per instructor! Plus, if you do well, you'll get to whack targets out to 300 yards!  And the clay is free!

Skip school, call in dead for work, or whatever it takes, but get there!  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Flathead

Birdman, there will be all the red clay you want!!!   More than you want if we get the rain like we did it March!!!  I think I still have some in the crevises of my rifle cases!!!   What I liked best was one of the students pulling people out of the mud bowl with the 4-wheel drive!
But this time it will be better, there is grass on some of the pistol pits (not that we will use those pits!), and have gotten approval to actually be able to use the shotgun pit for the shoot! Don't tell anyone that we have already.  And after all it will be November so no bugs, nice mild temps, and all the apple seed you can cram into 2 days!!!
I just hope everyone is as excite about it as I am, can't wait to run up and down the range road back and forth to the club house!

Buzzstrike

I'm in for Nov.

I picked up a 10/22 this week and is starting to undergo it's LTR refit.

Problem is that my son is probably going to be using it, and not me.... Guess I'll need to buy another.

Oh well.

See you all there.

Buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Junior Birdman

Drat! Curse the luck! You'll have to buy another rifle!  ;D  (You don't really NEED a reason, do you?)

That just means you'll have one to loan when only one of you comes to an event. A win-win situation!

If I wasn't going to be out inTX trying to teach Texans how to shoot, (A nearly insurmountable task, mind you  ;)), I'd do what it took to be right there in NAWTH JAWJA at this Appleseed. The year is winding down, and for some reason folks think you can't shoot in the winter time, unless it's at something furry, so your opportunities are diminishing.  If you don't make this event, when will you get off the couch?

HItch hilke, crawl, drive, fly, or whatever you have to do, just get there!  JB

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Flathead

It's getting closer to the shoot and I can't wait for it to get here!!!  There is a 3-gun shoot there this week end, the club is getting more active in the shooting sports! (seems kind of strange once I typed that Seems like they would be more active all the time) So I will be checking out the range to see if any improvements need to be made for the Appleseed. Can't wait for everyone to show up with at least a couple of extra shooters.

sanderman79

I am so excited also.  I will be up by lunchtime on Friday with the wife in tow.  Let me know if there is anything that I need to bring.  Perhaps we should have a meeting on Saturday to figure out what we are going to do for the upcoming year in the great state of GEORGIA for Appleseed.

Raymon

Flathead

For the instructors that will be there early enough, we usually have a instructor only shoot at steel targets at 200 yards and now will be able to do so at 300 yards. The range is working on getting the target at the 300 yard range operating again. SoM cut out some steel torso targets that we played with some in June (for those that didn't make that shoot). Plus the pigs and chickens. I know from talking with some instructors that they never seem to get enough triger time when on the appleseed trail.
  Looking forward to shooting with you, and want to see if anyone can pop the targets like Tracerfire was in March, standing with no sling!

Flathead

Went to the range this week end and it is ready for the shoot!!!
It hasn't looked this good in awhile, everything mowed and trimmed, the 300 yard range is ready for a almost full distance shoot!

The rain post poned the 3-gun to this week end so maybe those that are close by can make it to it as well.

Flathead

There will be plenty of camping space, just the early arrivals get the best spots next to the instructors!!! Just kidding, with all the instructors at this shoot everyone should be able to be close to one.

Son of Martha

Here is the info:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1208.0

Only thing different is that camping is OK, unimproved campsite.  Water point available some distance from the campsite-bulk water carriers recommended.  Best plan is to bring enough support to stay on-site the whole weekend.  The range is not too far from town, but on tertiary roads and the drive time may getcha.

Campfires OK.  Porta-john at the range, if the weather cooperates we will open the clubhouse for the ladies (inside bathroom).  If you pre-reg online, please print out and bring the confirmation, will speed things up at sign in.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

friedenmeister

I'll be there, and I can't wait to go. This is a really great range.
"Aggressive wars, income taxes, national IDs, domestic spying, torture regimes, secret prisons, Federal Reserve manipulation -- we don't have to take it anymore." -- Ron Paul

Troubleshooter

I'm in. Looking forward to another great weekend.

StoneDog

I just signed up and my father will soon.  Looking forward to it!
"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

ann

i'm bringing another one.  my boys girlfriend is coming.  she has never shot a gun so it should be interesting.  she'll be shooting my youngest boys 10/22crr.  i had got it set up for me to shoot.  oh well, maybe my friend has got my marlin model 60 going.  it was jamming and misfiring pretty badly.  i do have a savage bolt action .22, but only one 10 shot mag for it.

i am picking up my birthday present from my husband tomorrow.  he's getting me an sks.  i suppose i could shoot that, but i've never handled one before.  i did pick up a case of ammo from Academy. their sale ended today, but still not a bad price.  what do ya'll think would be best for me to do?

sanderman79

Ann i have two 10/22's that you are welcome to.  One with scope and one with tech sights.

Flathead

I have a few 10/22 also, depending on the status of my daughter and her freind. I would just make sure you have 22 ammo, there are always a couple to lend out.

agentofwrath

How much ammo should I bring per weapon?

sanderman79

If you are shooting a 22 for the first day and a centerfire at full distance.  I would bring 400 of 22 and 200 of centerfire.  I usually bring to much, but it is always better to have more and not need it.

agentofwrath

Thanks!  Also, my son's Ruger 1022 has that green optic front sight and leaf blade read, is that going to be OK for him.  I think we're going to camp, sounds like that will be more memorable than some comfy, clean hotel room.....HA!  We are looking forward to making some new friends. 

sanderman79

That will work great.  Camping will be a great time.  For me that is almost as good as the shooting.  You cannot beat talking and hang around like minded people.

Flathead

I will be at the range about noon on Friday, so anyone that will be arriving early can get there and set up in the camping area. If you can't fins the range my cell phone # is 706-206-0702

Appalacious

I'll be there friday night, probably late.

Is there parking at the campsite? or do I park at the clubhouse and walk down?

I camped at a different place last year, which had a bath house, so I don't know much about the range's campsite.

If things get boring I'll be reading my new copy of "patriots" by Rawles.  Cool book.

J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Flathead

Should be able to drive right to camp sites, depending on how many campers we have. We may have to park vehicles out of the way once you get set up, we should have room for at least 10 campsites if everyone doesn't mind being close up.