News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A thought on the future

Started by jmdavis, August 02, 2011, 01:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

A friend that I met through Appleseed said something recently when we were talking. He said, "You know some of these people and these rules are stupid and frustrating, but this program has brought some of the best people that I know together." He's right. We have among us the best men and women that I have ever known. I just hope that we can remember that and stop the bickering, stupid attacks and acts.

If you agree with this, speak out. Try not to get caught up in the stupidity and drama that just seems to happen on the internet. Try to assume the best rather than the worst. I know it's hard. But it's worth a try.

We have a chance to change the world!
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

B9

What I find interesting and encouraging is that the bonds between Instructors is rapid and strong. The quick defense of a fellow Instrctor is more good than bad.
Isn't it part of what we are trying to do? Build relationships between people so they stick together, work together, communicate together and fight together.

In conversations with other Instructors I hear....
He is a PIA about the rules.
He flip flops his opinion.
He is vague.
She is always talking off topic.
He interrupts.
His humor is irritating.
He talks to much.
She bullies the others around.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

I say.....

We need that.
Who doesn't sometimes.
Not everything is black and white.
But not at the wrong times.
He has a lot of knowledge.
Makes people laugh and relax.
Has a lot to say.
It gets people moving.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

asminuteman

Bezon....

you gents are correct! I take any "bickering" as sibling garbage.
these people I meet are my "steadfast" countrymen.
quite offen, our snits, happen under extreme pressure and duress, we're not thinking straight.
yet after a clean breath, emergency over,

I've had "disagreements" with folks, yet would still run into a burning house for them.
I fought with my brothers and sisters .......as we grew together
that's my take on it
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

thursday

if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad

BD

I agree with your take on it, Mike.
We have brought some great people together and it was given me hope that this republic is not as doomed as I thought it was.  Still in grave danger, but not doomed.
I don't understand all the bickering.  One thing I keep in mind is that we are all volunteers, and you can only push around volunteers so much before they disappear.
Some instructors will bother me with some aspects of their work, but ALL have redeeming qualities and ALL bring something unique to the effort.
We need to keep our eye on the prize: A republic that actually functions as a republic.
Up the Republic

BeSwift

The system is imperfect... as are the instructors, SB's, leadership, and myself... So what?  So is the rest of the world... At a minimum, we're achieving continuous improvement, exponential growth, and  guess what folks...SUCCESS...(that's right I said it!.. we're succeeding!) Besides... I have yet (and doubt that I ever will) to find another program which offers a remedy to "the problems" facing our nation today...

You won't find me on the Appleseed drama network. I checked my ego at the door when I signed up for this program, and will continue as long as I humanly can and am a benefit to the program.

As for the instructors/SB's that I've had the privilege of meeting/working with, I am honored to be have been in their presence... Thank you ALL for the honor, your commitment,  and  generosity in sharing your knowledge...   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

vernic82

The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades......Sorry couldn't help myself ;)

I must agree with BeSwift - as imperfect as everything in life is, me included, I have yet to find a program that sets forth to do what we set forth to do each day.

Thanks to everyone who is a part of this here in CT, your state and the nation that we all care to do something for everyday.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Spanner

Quote from: B9 on August 02, 2011, 01:21:57 PM
What I find interesting and encouraging is that the bonds between Instructors is rapid and strong. The quick defense of a fellow Instrctor is more good than bad.
Isn't it part of what we are trying to do? Build relationships between people so they stick together, work together, communicate together and fight together.

Exactly!

It is difficult to remember this simple truth.

Especially the during the last months with the steady chirping of "my way or the highway" and similar that was being echoed all over the forum.

None of us command the moral high ground.  And none of us can successfully fake a command of the moral high ground.  Taking up a position near what one believes is the moral high ground in the hopes of security, fame, or power just makes a person annoying to everyone that has to deal with them.  We all want Appleseed to be successful.  Not a single one of us has all of the answers.  We all have good ideas and bad ideas.  A little humility would go a long way, if applied in the right places.

The vast majority of Appleseed folk that I've met are conscientious.  They want to do the right thing.  Mentoring is good.  Molding is bad.

In the end, more and more of us will come to realize that the success of Appleseed won't be due to the message.  The message is a prop.  It is the messengers that make Appleseed.

Learning is largely imitative.  Monkey see, monkey do.  The shooters at our events should be thinking to themselves: "Hmm.  I could be doing what they are doing."  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make yourself the most interesting and attractive monkey they've ever met.

Be big.  Don't let the pressures from above make you small.

If we all did this, heck.  The script practically writes itself.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

jmdavis

You know Spanner has a really good point about the moral high ground. None of us is without flaw. I know  that one of my weakness is also one of the Seven Deadly Sins. That weakness is wrath.

I apologize to those who have experienced this flaw in me. It is not something that I'm proud of.

Mike

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Shoot Squirrel Yes

A stoic would argue that all is predestined, and one has no control over the events which occur in one's life.

A critic of stoicism would argue that a stoic cannot have it both ways; one cannot accept predestination and believe he can change his or her self for better or worse. The two beliefs conflict.

A cynic would say,

Happy birthday, Mike.

Bill 3

Quote from: Shoot Squirrel Yes on August 02, 2011, 09:10:56 PM
A stoic would argue that all is predestined, and one has no control over the events which occur in one's life.

A critic of stoicism would argue that a stoic cannot have it both ways; one cannot accept predestination and believe he can change his or her self for better or worse. The two beliefs conflict.

A cynic would say,

Happy birthday, Mike.

Not sure that your use of "stoic" is correct here unless in reference to a stoic's view on other people.  If only hinting that it's Mike's birthday, then Happy Birthday Mike!!
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Old Dog

I  believe that some of the emotion (seen as negative at times) is due to the passion folks have for the cause.  Its pretty hard (sometimes) to have that passion and stand by (quietly) while you think someone else is doing something to sidetrack or damage that cause.  When you get emotional you don't always worry about playing/speaking nice.

I hate politics with a passion and have no time or patience for either so I figure I miss a lot of the undercurrents that many folks "see".  I sort of wonder around in a blind haze of sunlight where there is no room for shadows or those that cast dark shadows, or those that lurk in shadows.

Let's work in the bright sunlight of Appleseed.  Let the folks who want power and authority have it while the good folks work on influence through the previously mentioned mentoring and setting a good/great example to the newer folks.

Darn that felt good to type.  I might just head out to Buckingham for the next KD day and shoot my neglected M1 Garand.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Wolfhound

In the year I have been involved in Appleseed, both as shooter and IIT, I can say, without reservation, that the 'Seeders are best group of folks that I have had the privilege of being a part of.  That is including Instructors and Shooters both in that statement.  I finally felt I had found "my kind of people".  I hope the friendships I am starting and those I have yet to make will continue to grow in this organization.  We teach the history, we teach the marksmanship, most importantly we connect with people.  When we connect, we advance the mission.  Focus on what brings us together, not, what can drive us apart.  There is more than enough of that in our lives outside of Appleseed.  I have already seen good people step back from Appleseed and the program is lessened by their absence.  I hope we can get them back.

jmdavis

Thanks everyone. I had actually hoped for more agreement on this issue, but sometimes we have to take what we can get.

Mike

Two Wolves

Dear Mr. Davis; in your opening statement your referred to Appleseed as a place that brings together the best people. My experience with this program has shown me over and over again that Appleseed is a place that brings out the best in people.

Above and beyond all other things, the Appleseed program mystifyingly allows a person to tap into that marvelous place in the human psyche that deals with self esteem, self worth, personal achievement, generosity, and kindness among many other attributes. This gives us a sense of euphoria that is contagious. And that is a good thing.

The overwhelming desire to achieve the rifleman's status requires that individual to reach down deep inside them selves and take control of their body and their mind. The cumulation of this action when successful is an ahha moment.

The problem with this sense of euphoria is how to manage it and keep the good feelings we have. It has been said here in this forum that one of the greatest joys is watching others as they have these personal growth experiences. Herein lays the altruistic, euphoric, good feelings that are common with instructors and volunteers alike.

It is important that we work to manage our feelings in a way that is good and healthy. I am Two Wolves. So are you!

I have posted this story once in this forum, perhaps it's time to post it again. Enjoy.

A Cherokee Legend;
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
~ Two Wolves ~
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Roland

I've used the word Nakama several times in my AARs when referring to my fellow IITs and ITs. It 's Japanese, and it means friends like family. Sums it up pretty well, don'tcha think?

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

PHenry

Here's the thing that keeps me on track - maybe it will help others.

There are lots of ways I can spend my endless heaps of spare time.  :cool2:  I can discuss the finer points of which rifle makes a better LTR, or what form could be made more efficient, or how to fine tune a well established demo POI, etc, etc, etc. Now, don't go gettin' offended - I am not making any judgments here.

Venues - Finding then and getting them set up
Events - Scheduling them and promotion thereof
Staffing - Getting qualified instructors on the lines

I do my best to hold everything I do for Appleseeds against the "three part acid test" delineated above, as I know from four years of hard experience, that is what moves the program forward and I see this program as the best hope of saving our country. I see any other activity, while perhaps valid or useful, as less important and therefore of a lower priority. I was kidding about the heaps of spare time - I have no spare time. My country is circling the drain and the only way I know of to save her, is to light the fires of Freedom in the minds of my fellow Americans, and that is done on the line at events.

I rarely post at all anymore, beyond AARs, and just check the forum now and agin to avoid missing something important. I rarely post, because it does not often create a venue, promote an event thereat, or create staffing. If I have time to post - I have time to contact a new range, or do some form of promo, or study, or run an IBC, etc. I believe that an obsessive focus on the three areas listed above will best serve Appleseeds. We can sort out all of the details and personality conflicts when we have an Appleseeder in the Oval Office.

Gotta go - I have an IAAR to write and that might help staffing.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

jmdavis

Phenry,

My offtime discussions generally don't run to rifles, but often do run to questions like, "What can I do to be more effective in teaching X?" "What could I have done differently for shooter Y?" "How many IIT's do we currently have in the pipeline?" "What SI will cover the upcoming RBC?" "What techniques can I use from the Army Marksmanship Unit SDM video to improve KD outcomes." "How can I motivate instructors to maintain an attitude of innovation." " How do we teach instructors the proper way to present respiratory pause?"

My acid test is how do I make this process, system, or individual better?

Tidewater_Shooter

In every organization, there will be varying opinions on the best method of moving forward.  Some of these discussions will become heated when passionate people honestly believe in a course of action to bring betterment to the organization and the country.

When discussions become heated, I would call on all Appleseeder's to stand united above the discourse and disagreement as the Founding Fathers did before us.  They managed to build a country out of their disagreements and discussions, I wonder what we can accomplish if we come together after ours.
For me my association with Appleseed has never been about shooting.  For me Appleseed has been about the opportunity to awaken in every person a fundamental understanding of the precious gift of Liberty that was bestowed upon them by the sacrifice of others.   

That opportunity, at this moment in our country's history, is in and of itself worthy of the efforts I have made on the behalf of the organization.

Like Mike, I also believe that we have an opportunity to do our part to change our country.     

When I focus on these opportunities, all of the other distractions become irrelevant and disappear.

To every Appleseed instructor with whom I have had the privilege of serving, I would like to offer a simple thank you.   Without exception, every Appleseed volunteer I have worked with has been one of the people that make America and our communities great. 

May we continue stand resolute in our mission to wake America from its long slumber and return it to greatness from which it sprang.

Two Wolves

To every Appleseed instructor with whom I have had the privilege of serving, I would like to offer a simple thank you.   Without exception, every Appleseed volunteer I have worked with has been one of the people that make America and our communities great. 

May we continue stand resolute in our mission to wake America from its long slumber and return it to greatness from which it sprang.

O0 Tidewater
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

V

Old, long, but apposite

From the article:

A final word: Ideas, be they right or wrong, are indestructible. The only possible change is people's attitude toward them. There is indifference or acceptance or rejection. Ideas on liberty are greeted more by indifference than by rejection, an attitude that tends to harden if left undisturbed. But when we try to turn indifference into acceptance by obtrusive and officious methods we get only rejection for our pains and, for good reason: these are not the methods of liberty.

The sole force that will turn indifference into acceptance is the power of attraction. And this can be achieved only if the eye is cast away from the remaking of others and toward the improvement of self. This, as an aim, is in harmony with personal and human evolution; the effort demanded of each individual is not a sacrifice, but the best investment one can make in life's highest purpose.

B9

Thanks V.
One other short quote from that.....

"Self-improvement becomes the lodestar. No eyes are cast downward on those thought to know less, but all eyes turn upward toward those thought to know more. Each person is seeking those fragments of truth that he does not presently possess. Each individual is always reaching higher than self; he looks "over his head," as the saying goes, for facts, ideas, knowledge, wisdom. Instead of trying to make others into reflections of himself, he tries to gain an understanding helpful to others should they choose to seek that which he possesses."

Leonard E. Read

Quote from: Tidewater_Shooter on August 03, 2011, 10:40:42 PM
For me my association with Appleseed has never been about shooting.  For me Appleseed has been about the opportunity to awaken in every person a fundamental understanding of the precious gift of Liberty that was bestowed upon them by the sacrifice of others.
O0
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Gordon

Amazing thread. Consider it bumped!

sgtmace

Having been and old jarhead and lifelong hunter, I've always enjoyed teaching friends, family how to shoot or simply shoot better. With our 'fundamentals' and an eye for reading a shooter, you can coach just about anyone to a rifleman's score dependant on the time they take to implement it all.
After a suggestion from another former Marine I checked out AS. I of course found the marksmanship fun as well as solid. But the thing that impressed me most was the history. Not just the facts, but the heart felt presentation. To me it was like visiting a place that I had only just read or had been told about.
Seeing how this opened the eyes of others and stirred their hearts and minds convinced me to follow. For those who have taken up this cause I am honored to stand shoulder to shoulder with in our quest. My focus is to read our shooters and feeling them out for what they need as shooters. But more importantly what it takes to help them understand their privilege and obligation to one another and our country.
In this we are all equal, as we are equal as a part of this great nation. Each with a single voice and opinion. But as the course is set; march on to the goal at hand. The rest is just white noise in the background.
That said;provided my wife isn't still sick, when I get back CONUS midnight Sat.. Hope to see you guys at Mechanicsville at least for a little while this weekend.
sgtmace
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry

George Hacker

Quote from: jmdavis on August 02, 2011, 01:07:32 PM
Try to assume the best rather than the worst. I know it's hard. But it's worth a try.
BTT

This statement is the key.  If we respect our peers, then we will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the best.

I agree with jmdavis - let's get back to changing the world one American at a time (starting with ourselves)!

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."