News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Good Samuel Whittemore Article

Started by habs, September 14, 2010, 11:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

habs

So far, I love the "Dangerous Old Men" section of the history the best.  I found a good article on Sam Whittemore, my favorite dangerous old man.

http://www.revolutionarywararchives.org/whittemore.html

Cooper

Habs:

Thanks for posting this excellent article!!  O0
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

vmt193

Love it! Sam is my hero also, now I must get to work and revise my presentation.

vmt

cmidkiff

Bookmarked.

Lots of good stuff here... Thankx!

Greybeard

PHenry

Great find habs!

It's funny. I have told this story more than 50 times and heard it at least 20 times and yet it still chokes me up.

At the end of my own telling of Samuel Whittemore, I always conclude by saying:

Now does anyone here suppose that old Samuel figured on surviving his encounter with the British? Of course not - it was a fluke that he lived. What in the world would cause a crippled old man to take on an entire brigade of soldiers and face certain death?

A decade ago, I could not have answered that question, but today I have a granddaughter - her name is Anabelle, Anabelle Lee. Anabelle is 10 years old (going on 15). She has long pretty brown hair - about this big - cute as a button she is. Now I know what made that crippled old man fight. He couldn't bare the thought of his children growing up as slaves, and neither can I.

These are the kind of men from whence we descend - men of courage and conviction, which placed a value upon Liberty in excess of their own lives. They didn't do it for themselves - they did it for us. They fought so that we wouldn't have to. We owe them a debt that can only be repaid by maintaining the ideals they held dear.

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

AFTERMATH

Quote from: habs on September 14, 2010, 11:16:47 AM
So far, I love the "Dangerous Old Men" section of the history the best.  I found a good article on Sam Whittemore, my favorite dangerous old man.

http://www.revolutionarywararchives.org/whittemore.html

Thanks habs!

Say.... Ya commin' to the picnic? 
I'll let you tell the Sam Whittemore story. O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

BSHRADER

Thanks, It is a very timely link for me as I'm working on my Dangerous Old Men presentation

Baminal

Thanks for posting, I can never hear enough about the DOM  O0
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)