News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Have you ever wondered what you would do if you worked a Gun SHow Booth?

Started by pennys dad, March 05, 2011, 12:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennys dad

Hi Everyone - I hope your Day went well and your Evening is awesome!

I would like to add a few comments around Volunteering for Gun Shows or Other none shoot type events, but before hand, Thank you to everyone that has volunteered and to those on the verge of volunteering please take the next step. 

A Calgunner I know once made a comment on volunteering, he said; Twice I have volunteered for a Gun Show Booth and I still don't feel like I know what's going on but I am becoming more and more comfortable with each event.

Well everyone that is how this works, talking in public is a developed skill for most.  When I am asked, "what will I be doing at an event", or "what do I need to know", or other such questions, the answer is simple, talk!  Talk about "what brought you to the Appleseed Project and What keeps you here", talk about a cool experience you had during one of the AS shoots or what new rifle you are considering, talk about what concerns you and why and ask What they think, talk about what your first time on the line was like.  Ask them if they know what a Riflemen is.

The key is to just talk about the common bond that ties us all together, "Our Heritage", "Our ownership of firearms", The Mission!
You don't need to be the best talker or have the best political agenda; you just have to want to talk.  If you are not a talker then contribute in other ways, if it's a gun show booth, then pass by say Hi, Thank the volunteers for being there, maybe bring them donuts :-) or coffee, maybe drop a donation in the donation box, Do We have a Donation Box?  If there are t-shirts for sale buy one, if you are asked to support a shooting range by sending an email in support of that range, then do that.  Volunteering is a great way to help but you can help in other ways, some other thoughts on helping or Volunteering:

Do you have a favorite gun shop, have you asked if they would place an Appleseed flyer their counter? How about a Calendar of Appleseed shoots at the nearest Range?  Heck for that matter does your favorite local gun shop know about The Appleseed project?
Do you own an Appleseed shirt that you would wear in public?  I was at Burros yesterday and one of the range officers asked me about my shirt and what Appleseed meant, so we had a good conversation.

Do you carry a few Riflemen challenge cards on your person to hand out when you get the opportunity?
There are many ways to help, many ways to volunteer, many ways to contribute, the key is join in, don't sit back, some of this is fun, some is work, some of it is just saying Thank you to those that volunteer and some is reaching out a friendly hand and talking.
So think about why or how you want to help and send me a PM.

Thank You Everyone for your time and i hope to see you out at a show.
Pennys Dad (aka) Jacob

fprintf

Thank you for this!  Over in the Promotions WL-X forum we are compiling a list of How-Tos for gun shows and I'll be combing through all such posts to add to that resource.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

pennys dad

Quote from: fprintf on March 05, 2011, 07:46:44 AM
Thank you for this!  Over in the Promotions WL-X forum we are compiling a list of How-Tos for gun shows and I'll be combing through all such posts to add to that resource.

Excellent, I am glad it helped.  Whatever help you need let me know, I am happy to be of service.  We have a great team here in CA working gun shows and other events and some of us bring significant other experience from other efforts and organizations around gun shows and event booths.

In any case, Have and Excellent Day and an Excellent Weekend!!!

:-)  I am going to the range.  YAYAYYYA

The Log

Roger, that fprintf, and make sure you California folks check out WL-X. Lots of good stuff there, and pay extra-special close attention to the teachings of Vernic82. He's a SB here in Red Sox Nation and SC in Rhode Island, and as I've said before, he's such a good salesman he can sell water to people who already have faucets. Literally. Take it from me - every time I see him I end up giving him money (he's also an FFL). Which reminds me - check's in the mail, V-man.

Seriously, I've learned a lot about salesmanship from vernic82. It's all common sense stuff, but I just needed someone to lay it out in front of me. Simple things, like making sure you lead off your pitch with an open-ended question. If you approach someone with a yes or no question, like "Would you be interested in learning how to shoot out to 500 yards?", the "mark" can simply say "No" and at that point, you're done. You've painted yourself into a corner, so to speak. The better approach is to ask something like, "What kind of shooting do you do?" Now you've started a discussion, and you can work in the AS pitch from there, since you've gotten the person to stop and chat. Of course the person can ignore you, but people generally aren't that rude.

Look over the stuff there in WL-X - plenty of other tidbits from Vernic82 and others with lots of gun show experience.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

gratefuldog

Hey Jacob- try getting an AS booth about 82 feet from the venue wall.... and post a Redcoat up there. Now you have a "challenge" for passers-by!
And BTW, I'd be happy to do gun show duty; I just need lots of heads-up to figure out child-care...
Pete

pennys dad

Quote from: gratefuldog on March 05, 2011, 06:50:42 PM
Hey Jacob- try getting an AS booth about 82 feet from the venue wall.... and post a Redcoat up there. Now you have a "challenge" for passers-by!
And BTW, I'd be happy to do gun show duty; I just need lots of heads-up to figure out child-care...
Pete

ROFL - Hahahaha that is a good one  ;D ;D

vernic82

check out this for more info:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20644.0

If you guys can't get in, consider volunteering for WL-X, speak to your SC on details.

PD great stuff above

v82
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude