News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Daniel Morgan's rifle company tryout: the 41st applicant finally revealed!

Started by Unbridled Liberty, September 22, 2014, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

When we tell the history of the Redcoat "head shot" (now "Morgan's Shingle"), we typically explain how the first 40 applicants for Daniel Morgan's rifle company hit the shingle, and therefore we will never know how the 41st applicant would have done.  However, my extensive research has uncovered the long-lost identity of the 41st applicant for Daniel Morgan's rifle company, as well the fact that he did in fact hit the shingle.

I had to dig through tons of old microfiche records, which was really hard on my 57-year-old eyes.  Wearing my lined trifocals really helped with this task, and I got 'er done.   Here is what I found.

His name was Thomas Hardy, and he was the 41st shooter in line.  He hit the shingle to the right of, and well below the outline of King George's nose.  In fact, he came uncomfortably close to missing entirely, but hitting the shingle was good enough, so he made it. 

Now, you may wonder how Mr. Hardy even got the chance to shoot, since Morgan only took 40 men.  Well, shooter #40 made his shot, cold bore at 250 yards just like the previous 39.  Most shooters in his position would have felt tremendous pressure.  If he missed, he would be the first one to do so that day, and he would be sent home in disgrace.  But shooter #40 was an excellent shot, and was highly confident of his abilities.  In fact, he was so confident, he CHOSE to go last.  Shooter #40 typically placed first in every contest he entered in the state of Virginia, and his shot on the shingle that day was nearly dead center.  And it would have been dead center, IF he had wanted it to be.  But he was not aiming for the center of the shingle at all.  Being a superb shot, he was aiming for, and hit, King George's nostril. 

And so, Thomas Hardy, applicant #41, having just witnessed a nearly perfect shot only moments before, turned away and began walking home.  And then, his face, downcast at the prospect of lining up with fixed bayonets just 50 paces from one of the King's grenadier companies, suddenly brightened.  What's that?  I get a chance after all?  But why?  How?  Do I still want a shot at it?  You bet! 

And so, Thomas Hardy, age 21, stepped up, squeezed off his not-so-perfect shot, and barely made it into Morgan's company.  Ecstatic to be named a Rifleman and counted among Daniel Morgan's men, young Mr. Hardy got his kit together, marched 600 miles in 21 days to Massachusetts, was honored to meet General Washington in Cambridge, had the pleasure of ending several Redcoat officer's careers during the siege of Boston, fought at Saratoga and the Cowpens, and won the undying appreciation and affection of his countrymen in a war that changed the course of world history and secured Liberty for unborn millions.

But what became of shooter#40? Well, shooter #40 was not satisfied with his nearly perfect shot.  You see, his ball did not hit King George's nostril dead center, but rather 1/4" high and 1/8" to the left.  So shooter #40, his name lost to history, declined to join Morgan's company so that he could go get better sights, rounder ball and more purified powder.  He also wanted to perfect his marksmanship skills, since clearly he was off his game that day.  And so, shooter #40 spent the rest of the war becoming the best shot he could be, all the while seemingly oblivious to, or perhaps not caring, that his countrymen were fighting and dying in the field, contending for our Liberty.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

(Just in case it is not clear, yes, this story is fiction.)

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Rayne

You had me, hook, line and sinker.  Though it might be fictional, it's objective is very poinient. 
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

greyfox

UL

The story of the 41st shooter may not be quite historically perfect...being fiction and all. However, it is good enough.

It was privilege working with you at Bedford.

Loren

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Twineagles

A tip of the hat to that one. It might make for a good Sunday afternoon break story ....... between AQT grinds

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

EZ3

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Barbie

"Don't let perfect get in the way of good enough."

Well told UL   O0
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

AuntieBellum

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot