News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hinesville, GA 7-8 Mar 09

Started by HobbsGoblin, March 08, 2009, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobbsGoblin

Kicked off another wonderful AS event down here in sunny Georgia, and I must say, the weather couldn't have been nicer. We had a bit of a drop-off in attendence from the last event held back in October, but of the 34 people who shot at this event, over half were first timers. While it's always nice to see familiar faces, it's the newcomers that let us know the program is working, the word is spreading, and the spirit is being rekindled...that we're aren't simply "preaching to the choir".

We had three new Riflemen join the fold today! Forged in the fires of one-inch squares and tempered on the AQT, these three proudly wear the patch. Special kudos should be given to one particular rifleman, who has participated in an astounding TEN events. Most would have simply given up, thrown in the towel due to frustration, but the perserverance of this particular individual is a model for others to strive to mirror. Again, I say "well done, and welcome."

As wonderful as these events are, there is one thing about them that I don't like. In fact, I would say I absolutely hate it. I hate the way these events leave me feeling about the state of our society in the evening after an event. At these events, people are honest and straightforward. They look you in the eye, and shake your hand with a firm, solid grip. The way two countrymen on even footing SHOULD greet each other. When you make a mistake, both student and instructor are quick to correct you, but it's in a way that doesn't make you feel embarassed, doesn't make you want to shrink away and hide. It makes you want to get out there, find what you've done wrong, correct it, and get it right. It's all done with that thing called "tact" that seems to be missing in todays hectic enviroment. The children of participants (and the children-participants too!) have an astonishing thing called "manners". They say "please" and "thank you", address their seniors as "sir" more often than not. Discipline, respect...who does that anymore?

The part I hate is when I finally leave that gate. When I step out into the "real" world again. That place where rudeness, uncouth behavior, quantity over quality, form over function, and convenience over correctness are the rule. When I am at an Appleseed, I meet some of the best individuals in the nation, who not only take time out from their busy schedules and jobs, drive several hours accross state lines, but they do it HAPPILY. All this, at a time when I can hardly convince my own friends who live down the road that it's an event worth their time, and a good cause.

During the history portion, we learned that with only a day's notice, the Colonials mustered upwards of 14,000 fighting men, ready to fight and die against the most powerful military assembled on earth at the time. All this, without any of our modern conveniences. No cell phones, text messages, e-mail, or fax machines. And here I am, with a month and a half or more to spread the word, and a stack of flyers as thick as a phone book. And how many of my friends, my fellow U.S. soldiers, deemed it worthwhile to put down the beer can and pry themselves away from the couch for a weekend?

One. Just one, and he had to leave in the middle of day one for a family emergency. I wish him the best.

THAT, my dear friends and true brothers and sisters in arms, is the one thing I hate about Appleseed. That sour taste I get on Monday when my friends at work are talking about how much beer they had that weekend. Don't know about you guys, but sunburn, bug bites, and a raw trigger finger beats a hangover any day.  ;D

Appalacious

Well, my 3rd appleseed should have left me disappointed since I only got a 206, but I still had a great time as usual.  I thought Hobbs did a great job as line boss.  He's definitely got the voice/presence to command attention.  I also thought DuaneRN did a good job with the history portion.

The campfire was ludicrously funny.

My truck did get us home, thankfully.

I'll remember this appleseed for the cannons, the big dog that hated me, the close-but-no-cigar score, but most of all, the awesomest loin ribs I've ever had at a bbq joint.

Oh yeah, and the DEAD BUFFALO!!

Thanks guys,
J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

DuaneRN

When I first got there I said:  Man, that smells like a dead buffalo.  Strangely enough, I was right.  I would like to thank all the students that came out to support our American Heritage.  I can't say how elated I was to see two people on my line who persisted and made Rifleman.  They were both an inspiration to me as they had attended multiple Appleseeds.  The other Rifleman on the other line was a testament to what the AS program can do with marksmanship training.  I believe he said he scored around a 100 on the AQT at his first AS in Hinesville last year and through hard work at home, he mad Rifleman this weekend.
My thanks to all the instructors who helped me refine my techniques this weekend through their very much appreciated advice.  I now know where my weaknesses are and where I should concentrate my study through the next two weeks.  I am motivated to become an instructor not only to change America, but to do so right here in SC.

I am still laughing about the weedwhacker, the rubber chicken and the peach preserves.

Talon

Quote from: Appalacious on March 09, 2009, 07:54:16 AM

Oh yeah, and the DEAD BUFFALO!!

I told everyone, did I not?  Hinesville is a "special" place.

Thanks again to cannonman, who once again worked himself harder than he should have. He always does. One day, we may have to push him to the side of the range with the horses and buffalo, have a 21 rifle salute, and cover him with a pile of brass.

The campfire was ludicrously funny.

Yeah, we had one or two hang fire punch lines, just like we had one hang fire on Grendle that evening. But once they went off, they sure were loud. When DuaneRN fell backwards from laughing, it was serious stuff. Oh, well. Had he died laughing, we would have split his gear up, said a few words ( "Hey! can we get a little help with dragging this guy, people?!" ) and stacked him alongside the buffalo.

I'll remember this appleseed for the cannons, the big dog that hated me, the close-but-no-cigar score, but most of all, the awesomest loin ribs I've ever had at a bbq joint.

Awwww, he's just a puppy. He doesn't hate anyone. He was simply there to help provide the proper motivation.  O0

The "close but no cigar" line brings me right to one of the highlights for the weekend: Bladerunner33 scored rifleman, after ten events and a lot of practice. He would not quit. He wasn't going to stop until he made it or something stopped him.

Bladerunner33, you made it. Congratulations.

Congratulations to all of the new riflemen.

I'd also like to recognize boltgun71 for a job well done on his first stint as Shoot Boss.

Thank you to all of my friends who make the Hinesville event a legend. We have another one under our belts. Let's keep it up.

cannonman61

Once again I am home, tired and feeling so much my age it is scary.

Still, I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend than with fellow Appleseeders.

If you like regular Appleseeds, and I do, you have to love a Hinesville Appleseed.

Where else in Appleseed do you find all of the things that you will find here. We offer all sorts of interesting things you just can't find anywhere else. Ode- de- buffalo being one of them. PU! $$-0

Yes, there really was a dead buffalo not 50 yards from our camp and lines. I tell you, we sure have a track record here. Last time it was a dead horse that had to be buried the first night of the last March seed. The evening camp fires continue to be a treat and the jokes are, shall we say, unique. We had cannon firing at the end of Saturdays range time, and half a dozen people stayed past the point of what they thought was their endurence just to see Grendle fired and see a few intrepid soles try their hand at live fire with the Brown Bess Muskets. A .75 caliber hole in the target backers is pretty easy to see at 25 meters and almost everyone who fired hit the mark or near enough to be impressed with how well a smooth bore can shoot if you get a ball cast w/o a void. The Horse Pistol was another story. We had eight people shoot it and ony 2 connect with the target at 25 meters. No wonder the cavalry prefered their swords.

On the shooters side I was gratified to see that more than half of our shooters were complete newbies. While it's great to see old friends from prior Appleseeds, this program is all about growth and newbies are the answer to that growth. Of our repeat customers 3 made rifleman for the first time and 1 was so darn close he could taste it, or was that the BBQ from lunch/dinner?

A special congrats goes out to Bladerunner33 as he gets my nomination for the "Rifleman Perserveres" award. I also commend Keith and Jolly for their efforts and making Riflemen here at Hinesille 3/09.

Thanks to all of our Instructors for coming and helping with this; Talon, Boltgun71,Thor,SgtCap, DuaneRN, HobbsGoblin and Son of Martha. I could not do it w/o your help and I know you all had to travel to make it happen just like all the attendees.

With our efforts we can make this ship change course and avoid the icebergs and provide a stable, liberty loving country for our children and grandchildren.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Pictures below courtesy of Bladerunner. I forgot my camera. :'(
Anyone with pictures, please,post em if you got em! I'd love to see wht others thought was photo worthy. ;)

CM61
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

GunRights4US

Hey Cannonman, thanks for all you do up there in Hinesville!  It's very appreciated.
Guns are the teeth of Liberty

cannonman61

GR4US,

Glad to be of service.

I'd love to hold the first 100 shooter Appleseed in the SE.

I hope you are serious about taking the Redhat plunge at an upcoming RBC. We need all the good men we can find, and you are one of them.

I'll keep you posted on future events. Look for something new at the next one. I'm thinking live 18th century music.

CM61

GoJohnnyGo

This was my first Appleseed and after the fact I can surely say that it won't be my last.  My thanks to the instructors and all the other shooters that made the weekend memorable, safe and one hell of a good time. 

cannonman61

GoJohnnyGo,

I am glad to see you had a good time. It is my fervent hope that you learned a few new things as well.

Since you are in the area, contact me by Pm and we may seee if we can meet at the range for some trigger time with the other locals for a mini shoot one weekend.

CM

Appalacious

Quote from: GoJohnnyGo on March 12, 2009, 07:09:49 PM
This was my first Appleseed and after the fact I can surely say that it won't be my last.  My thanks to the instructors and all the other shooters that made the weekend memorable, safe and one hell of a good time. 
...And if you're in GA, be sure to visit this thread and tell us where you are!  The town is sufficient.
Thanks,
J
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4644.0
Condescension is a GOOD thing.