News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville, IN Nov. 8-9, 2008 (Ditchwater II)

Started by hawkhavn, November 09, 2008, 09:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhavn

I'll kick off an in-process AAR.

65 shooters showed up Saturday with 8 no shows and 9 walkons.

Heavy turnout of juior shooters, Slim's line was 22/26 juniors.

Two Rifleman scores obtained with several more on their heels.

Cold, bitter north wind all day which sapped the shooter's strength and darkness fell around 5.

Today starts another day...
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

SavageShootr

Great turnout!!!

Way to go Indiana! ;D

Congratulations to those who made Rifleman.  ;D ;D ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

techres

My thoughts were with all of you this weekend as I tended to sick family.  I hope someone got pics and more got Rifleman today (especially a few particular people who were right on that ledge).

Way to stick with it in the tough weather.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Bill 3

Midday Saturday wasn't so bad but the rest of the weekend was chilly and windy......  OK, enough about the weather.

Great shoot, great people.  Seems to be a given with Appleseed.  Amber and I had a blast at our third event.  I finally broke through and made rifleman with a 230.  A big thank you to everyone that makes Appleseed possible.  Time to do my part.  I have an orange hat now(thank you Hawk) and started helping on the line.  I am looking forward to this experience and the homework, and satisfaction of passing the knowledge and heritage,  that comes with it.

It was amazing, the line I was on turned out (don't quote me) 6 Riflemen this weekend including myself.

Thank you again.... I do believe that Appleseed is one of the solutions to what ails this country.

- WRWIII
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

hawkhavn

All,

Glad to see some of the folks are geting home.  We had one gentleman drive down from Wisconsin!  Instructors from all over: Ben1775 and Greg (both) from MO, The Guy, Treadcarefully, Garand69 and Sheepdog  from IL, Slim from OH and a big chunk of the Hoosier crew were in E'ville.

My notes are still in the truck and I'll post a detailed AAR tomorrow.  Our youngest Rifleman(without a sling!) was 14 and will probably be putting on the orange hat next spring.  Brokensling and Mudcat started shouldering the IIT load immediately after getting their patches, Mudcat's son scored Rifleman right after his father.  IndyJoe blew through the 210 barrier as well.

Fred it was a good thing you sent all those Orange hats out! (But we could have used a few Red ones as well).  I looked at Bay 2 at one point and all you could see were orange hats running around!

People started heading out early due to the weather, the folks from up north were getting reports of snow accumulating on the ground...
We saw a few flakes and drizzles (what's an Appleseed without rain?)

Thanks to everyone for the great shoot, fill in details as you can because I missed a lot running between 3 lines.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Old Glory!

"We had one gentleman drive down from Wisconsin! "

Hello "gentleman from Wisconsin".   Where are you located?  We've gotta talk!  Send a PM when you get a chance. 

Sounds like that sea of orange hats worked hard.   Congratulations to all the new riflemen.  Awaiting the full report. 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

DaveD

Did anyone say cold?

Saturday started out with a clear sky, but by afternoon we had clouds, a brisk wind whipping over the center fire line, and the temp dropped, but we still pulled one Rifleman that afternoon.  A dedicated (if noisy) group of shooters! (You can tell I've been working more with rim fire)

Sunday dawned cloudy and cold.  Line was a smaller but focused group. Wind picked up, which sent some for more clothing layers.  Nothing like working on a shooters standing position and watching snow flakes land on him!!

Had several knocking on Rifleman, but the fire hose and the cold wore them down.

Overall, a great weekend for camping, marksmanship, and fellowship!!   ;D ;D ;D

PS: Some EXCELLENT HOT lunches both days from the local 4-H group!!!!!!!!!!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Greg in MO

Well I had a great time this weekend, despite the 7 hour drive.  It was great meeting all of the other instructors and participants. 

We had a great group of folks on my line, and if the kid with the tube fed and no sling made rifleman after we left, then I think our line made 7 Riflemen.  Kudos to the folks that stuck it out in that cold wind on a Sunday afternoon, especially after having to listen to me do history.

I'll bet that I'll be back out to Indiana before too long, since my wife is a Hoosier.  Can't wait!

Greg

unforgiven1203

congratulations broken sling! 230 is a pretty healty score!
I wish I could have made it.

techres

Quote from: brokensling on November 09, 2008, 11:09:03 PM
Amber and I had a blast at our third event.  I finally broke through and made rifleman with a 230.

Congrats!  You were one of two I expected to make Rifleman this weekend and take on the Orange hat.  Glad to have you behind the line now.  You have most definitely earned it!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Mudcat

Don't let these guys kid you it was sunny and 70 all weekend. The Harris family had a great time this weekend at DWII. We now have 2 Riflemen in our family and a couple of soon to be Riflewomen as a result of DWII. My daughter cannot wait to return to another Appleseed. I knew I wanted to help with this project from my first AS and am really proud to finally shoot Rifleman and then get the chance to put on an orange hat. My son is definately giving it some thought as well.

I have to say that The Guys little history lesson was so thought provoking to my family that we are still talking about it today.

Thanks to all involved with this program!

I am here to help where I can Hawkhavn!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

The Guy

I had a good time.

Duh....

Kudos toHawk for running a good shoot.  I expected no less.  Glad to of been there for Mudcat hitting Rifleman.  After all the crap I gave him, I kinda bet it was a relief....LOL!

Also had a GREAT time working with the youth on my line.  Warms my heart, no matter how cold the rest of my body is.

Thankyou Mudcat and Broken Sling for donning the Orange

Congrats to Sur+Rifle and Sheepdog, promoted to Redhat.

Congrats to all who came, no matter the score, but for sticking out the weather.
Persevere folks, and I will see you all again next year.

Guy

bwframe

Quote from: brokensling on November 09, 2008, 11:09:03 PM
Great shoot, great people.  Seems to be a given with Appleseed.  Amber and I had a blast at our third event.  I finally broke through and made rifleman with a 230. I have an orange hat now(thank you Hawk) and started helping on the line.  I am looking forward to this experience and the homework, and satisfaction of passing the knowledge and heritage,  that comes with it.

- WRWIII
Congrats Rifleman and Orange Hat!
You'll be instructing this cook down the road.

Be sure to tell that witty Amber I don't intend to keep letting her show me up. ;D

colycat

Welcome to Appleseed and the forum, BWframe and Unforgiven ;D ;D ;D
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Hooters Billy

Oh man oh man oh man....

So there I was down at Redbrush hanging out with Brokensling and a few others around a campfire when a bunch of guys ambushed, black bagged, carried me off, stuffed some papers in my pocket, stole my boony hat, and dumped me out of the side door of a moving van. When I pulled the hood off I was on the left side of a firing line loaded with first time Appleseeders and I had a really bright orange hat stuck on my head. I looked around and saw a few others with the same hat too and remembered some really old words of wisdom I heard once before "When in Rome.....", so.... I just did what the other orange hated people did which was apparently watching over half of the line keeping them safe and telling/showing them to do the same things I did to get 3 patches at 3 Appleseed shoots. I think I played the part pretty good cause there where no extra holes in anyone and at the end of the weekend everyone I was caring for greatly improved their skills. I was so proud of them all. On day two I showed them my handful of rifleman patches and their eyes lit up with all of them saying they want to get one. They are well on their way and if they practice over the winter they will get them when they come back in the spring.

LOL, all joking aside now. I had a great time wearing the orange hat all weekend and working with all the shooters on my half of the line. They helped me have a really fun time and I hope I did the same for them.

Funniest moment: I mentioned "YouTube" and a little angle, whose name started with a "T", said "I didn't know people your age new about that." I laughed and informed her that it was my generation that invented it. She said "No they didn't! A guy named Bono did!" I almost fell over laughing this time and after I caught my breath I said "No no no, that is the guy who sings for a band called 'U2' ". She said no and that Bono was the guy who invented movies on the internet. And that was the end of that because I knew there was no way I could convince her otherwise. The back and forth was fun though.

Greatest moment of relief: The great hot lunch the 4H crew prepared and brought in. THANK YOU GIRLS!!!!

Greatest moment of surprise: Hearing my name get called and seeing "The Guy" in the flesh on the range with me again. The man who helped make me who I am today at the very same range several months before. It was good to see and talk to him again. Oh yeah, love the new hair doo!

Coolest moment: Getting to call the line towards the end on day two.

Proudest moment: Seeing Brokensling walk over to my range with a big smile and a 230 score and then seeing an orange hat on him immediately after that. Great Job!!!

Really looking forward to the spring. Thanks everyone for the great time.

Hooters Billy
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

The Guy

Nothing beats being an Instructor, does it?

So glad to wake up on Sat and see you in that you had donned the Orange as well.

A true man among men, no matter that 85% of your line was youth.....LOL!!!

See you soon!

Guy

slim

DW-II, early on, was looking like it was going to be an instructor shoot with a few Appleseeders showing up. We had more loaner LTRs than folks to shoot them. With only a few weeks of promotional time it wasn't looking too good in the early days. I think brokensling and lrrh (little red riflewoman hood) were the only pre-regs for the first couple weeks. Finally, others started trickling in and we had a decent shoot of about 23 shooters signed up and ready to go. However, we still had plenty of room and were nowhere near the 150+ shooters that showed up back in '07. The challenge was issued, and folks started pounding the pavement to get the word out.

And get out it did! In the last two weeks the numbers almost tripled and we ended up with a pretty good turnout. Three bays of Americans ready to hear the story of their Heritage and improve their Marksmanship.

So much progress was made during this "end of season" shoot. With numb fingers and shivering through the cold our shooters on the line persevered and hammered away doing everything they could to inch closer to a Rifleman score.

So many good things to see. Encouraging signs for our future. Not just junior shooters on the line, but MOTIVATED junior shooters on the line. Several families shooting together - uncles, brothers, husbands and wives, children - a direct link to our heritage as Rifleman not only as an individual, but as a family. And the smiles of the new Riflemen after finally earning their patches, after persevering and working hard in the months since their last Appleseed - and the Orange caps that were donned directly afterward.

.... and did I mention the chili? Appleseed is awesome, but Appleseed with chili, now that's having your cake and eating it too!

What a great group of instructors! It was nice to meet you guys from all over our region. We're finally getting to the point where we can start having Appleseeds around the nation, every weekend, and be stocked up with enough knowledgeable and helpful instructors that each shooter gets some personal attention and of course, a good, safe shoot. And don't forget the heritage! It's one thing to come out and learn to shoot, quite another to come out and be inspired!

Great job by all, and once again, a great event. There are many of you that made quite a drive to get to E'ville, I hope to see you a little closer to home next time. For those who were "local" you have a nice range (that's not too expensive to join!) pretty close to your house. USE IT!!! And for everyone.... don't forget to dry fire practice all winter long. Two or three times a week is all that's needed to go from being a decent shooter to a Rifleman. This winter, get down on the floor in your warm house and practice transitioning from standing to sitting, standing to prone, steady hold factors, saying the Six Steps over and over in your head (all of you should have them memorized by spring) and finding a good NPOA. (And don't muscle the rifle over... SHIFT!) Practice adjusting your sling, practice inserting your mags and changing them (NO LIVE ROUNDS!!!!) practice plopping down and getting a good NPOA the first or second time. Practice your trigger squeeeeeeeeeeeze with a clickable ball point pen while saying the Six Steps. I guarantee if you practice, even without firing a real shot out on the range, you'll come back on 04-19-09 and be really, really close to Rifleman scores. And, not only will you have fun, but someone's going to ask what you're doing and you'll be able to Seventh Step and tell them about Appleseed.

See you guys in the Spring Time.

Lessons Learned -

1. Bring warm clothes! (Be prepared to shoot in any conditions - cold, rain, snow, etc.)

2. Know your rifle before you come to Appleseed. If you're borrowing a rifle make sure you know where the safety is, how to load it, etc. Know how to use the sights. AND THEN SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY YOUR OWN RIFLE!!!!

3. Relax, and have fun. You'd be surprised how well you can shoot if you just relax and enjoy yourself.

4. Go to more Appleseeds! Every Appleseed I've been to I've learned something new both as a shooter and an instructor. The more 'seeds you get to, the more you'll learn. Plus, you'll start running into familiar faces. Appleseed instructors and shooters are some of the best Americans you'll meet. Spending a full weekend with great Americans will do a lot for your confidence in the future of our great nation. Hope for the future is out there.... in the form of Appleseed!

ben1775

Where has Appleseed been all my life?!

This was a great shoot; great range, great people (a given). There aren't too many things that will keep a smile on my face when its 40 degrees with a brutal wind, but I was grinnin all weekend.

Thanks to everyone, it was a pleasure to work with all of you.

And to anyone whose shot Rifleman and not put on an orange hat: What is your major malfunction? Didn't mommy and daddy give you enough attention when you were a child? You may think its fun to shoot Rifleman but wait until someone you instructed shoots Rifleman, then you'll really know how fun this can be. And nothing is more rewarding then seeing junior shooters out there in cold that makes grown "men" whine and sniffle, having the time of their lives shooting and getting better and loving every minute.

I got a couple of strange looks when I told people I traveled 8 hours to stand in the cold and yell range commands but they don't and probably never will understand and I feel a bit sorry for them.

Once again thanks to everyone who put this on and all who help to keep this program working.

Ben

sur+rifle

What a great Appleseed shoot!  I just wanted to publicly extend thanks to:

The shooters who heard the muster cry and came out in the cold weather to improve their marksmanship skills.  It was a pleasure meeting each of you and I hope to see you at upcoming shoots.

The instructors who did a fantastic job of maintaining a safe line and teaching both the skills and the history of the American Riflemen.  The improvement in scores seen and the number of rifleman patches awarded are a witness to your good work.  Especially thank you to all the new orange hats who have heard and answered the call.

Shoot boss Hawkhvn and Master Instructor The Guy who have grown our Hoosier and regional instructor corps by leaps and bounds.  Especially thank you for all the patient instruction you have shown us orange and red hats.

The 4-H group which provided food that warmed us up.  It was excellent!

Red Brush Rifle Range for again opening your gates and welcoming shooters to your excellent facility.

And special thanks to Mudcat.  The success of this shoot was largely influenced by his work.  For those who don't know, Mudcat promoted the event via fliers at gunshops and shows, arranged for the 4-H to cater the food,  personally recruited a good portion of the attendees, and brought not only himself but his family to the shoot (which given the scores, will soon be an entire family of Riflemen).  Outstanding!

Garand69

A most excellent adventure!

Cold? It wasn't that cold, Appleseeding has that warming effect if you know what I mean!

It was a great honor to help out on the line with Slim and crew on Saturday and a GIGANTIC HONOR to get to actually run the the line on Sunday with Greg in MO keeping me in line!

Many thanks to all of you that made this shoot happen. It was a great time regardless of that constant cool breeze out of the north. Most of what needs saying has been said so all I'll add is this.

Highlight of the weekend was Wetfoot making the score needed to be a Rifleman, but then being shot down. Don't get me wrong here, I can't wait for him to earn Rifleman (we even had plans to lower his score, if necessary, to 210 in order to justify tossing him into the pond  ;D), but, he made the poor choice to not transition during the standing to sitting and standing to prone stages. Yeah, he was a tad ticked off when Greg in MO and I wouldn't give him Rifleman without a review by The Guy (knowing exactly what The Guy would say). And yes, he was even a tad hotter when The Guy told him no way. But what made me proud was about 25 miles down the road on the way home, his head was back on straight and he understood why he didn't get Rifleman. From that point until he fell asleep 2 hours later, all he was talking about was how he wants to be an IIT and if he can go to the next IBC.

Great job everyone, I'll post some pics soon.

G69

P.S.> Excellent work Illinois Appleseeders!!!! Besides The Guy, TreadCarefully, Sheepdog and myself in the instructor pool, we also has atleast a half dozen Illinoisans who attended as a shooter!!!! Man,  it is sure a good thing we showed up  ;D
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Garand69

Boy what a slacker!, Finally got that film dropped off and developed, sorry for the delay Hawk.

Another Rifleman!!

One on one

A little History

Hiding from that cold wind!

Yep, that's another Rifleman! and here is one more...

Sorry for the delay folks, hope you enjoyed.

G69
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

slim

Hooters Billy

Cool! Nice pics. I do look good in orange. You guys weren't kiddin! LOL.

Slim,
You should have your leatherman buy now. I handed it to a fellow Ohio'n IIT buddy of your, LOL. We're goin to stay in touch to talk HAM radio and plan out some shared hicking and backpacking trips. See you soon in Indy probly.
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

slim

Quote from: Hooters Billy on December 18, 2008, 01:24:39 PM
Cool! Nice pics. I do look good in orange. You guys weren't kiddin! LOL.

Slim,
You should have your leatherman buy now. I handed it to a fellow Ohio'n IIT buddy of your, LOL. We're goin to stay in touch to talk HAM radio and plan out some shared hicking and backpacking trips. See you soon in Indy probly.

After looking at the IBC pics I saw the two of you both pictured and said, "I wish I would've known Billy was going, I would've told Bill to get my Leatherman for me. I would've coordinated a hand-off."

Seems you guys were a step ahead of me! I'm meeting Bill this weekend. Very cool!

See you Hoosiers soon!