News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wabsh, IN October 18-19, 2008

Started by Sheepdog, October 19, 2008, 11:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepdog

What knd of training is this? And 30 voices ring out "A P P L E S E E D!" What do you people want to be? Again, in unison "R I F L E M E N!"
This one is in the bag. 43 shooters on Saturday and 30 something on Sunday. Eleven Rifleman. Many on their way to the 7th Step! You could see the wheels spinning and some seeds are going to be sewn.
Weather co-operated when the sun was up but we had to scrape ice off the cars this morning. The facility was great. Potential for 400 yards. After closing shop, many stayed to try their newly earned/learned skills shooting at full distance. TC, Azel and I arrived at 0700 (its is still dark then) on Saturday and found a dozen or so waiting for us. That was our first clue we had some eager beavers.  The students were great. Several families were represented by three generations. We met great grandmother (who scored Rifleman ;, good work Bonnie), several gaurdsmen, lots of vets, some CMP/high power guys, couples, and some guys that hadn't shot in awhile. Instruction was straight forward quick break for lunch and history, B&D and two qd-aqts before we called it a day. We had our first four Rifleman
Sunday began with the RC then progressed to a fundamental review, carding sights, and more AQTs. There was a team shoot "Red Coat Ambush" where the teams were given information that several columns of the regulars streaching 400 yards long, would be visable for 30 sec. The elected captain had to come up with a plan, designate range specific marksmen and wait to engage. The winning team...inflicting a 60% casulity rate, broke our foes ranks and sent them running. The Red Coats were heard to say they would prefer Hezekiah Wyman than the hard hitting Appleseeders. We continued to forge away coming up with another 7 Riflemen before days end. The anvil of the AQT did not let us down. I think TC left the shoot with just two unclaimed patches. I've got an idea who is getting them cause these guys were banging on the Rifleman door. Everyone enjoyed themselves it seemed. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these Hoosiers head south to Evansville. Bring it on Indiana!
Sheepdog, out.
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

hawkhavn

All,

Great news, you're getting positive coverage over at the IN Gun Owners forum: http://ingunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/11277-appleseed.html

Sorry to have missed this one, way to go Bonnie!
For anyone that checks in here from this weekends shoot there will be an Appleseed table at next weekend's Indy 1500 and we need Appleseeders to be there and tell about the program. Get some 7th step action right away! Contact me for details and remember to register for Evansville in 3 weeks.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

LibertyWriterHH

What ANOTHER great Appleseed it was! First of all I want to thank all the inctructors both new and old that attended this one (Sheepdog-yer a stitch), And T.C., was great to work and joke with you again as usual! It was nice to meet Alex, very informative young lad, as well as the usual IITs', Steve, and Bill. I would also like to take this time to thank the Liberty Writers group who came together and acted as our support section and kept us well fed and hydrated though another long, but very constructive weekend! Sacrifices were made by all to make this Appleseed come together, but THAT is what makes it SO special!

Our day started at 0600 both days getting set up, the frost on Sunday played havoc with our cardboard backers and made then sag quite a bit, a little "love" from the wire and duct tape we had on hand got them up in no time. Met ANOTHER great bunch of people, both local and from quite a bit away, who came to " bask in the warm Appleseed waters" of knowledge, who I think both learned and experienced alot. It was wonderful seeing so many young people and women out shooting and even stopping by to see what it was all about! Even though most of my family was there in one capacity or another, it had such a family atmosphere about it with all the different age levels all striving to doone thing...PRODUCE RIFLEMEN!

Everyone LOVED the "redcoat ambush", was a new one for me  and it was great to see people thinking on there feet and really getting into the history lesson by ACTUALLY acting it out! I couldn't stop grinning ;)

We stayed until 7pm and managed to wring out ONE MORE Rifleman--congrats DANIEL! Sqeaked by with a 210, but still accomplished the task all the same! He told me he is also joining our host range here..so I will make sure he has PLENTY of oppritunity to take on some more AQT! The road is just begining for him!

All in all, one of the best Appleseeds I can remember. Thank you all for your time and your TRUE patriotism! All out IITs' will be going to Evansville on Nov 8-9 so we hope to see you all there!!
Peace out.....

Sheepdog

Good words on the INGO site. A note on our names...no secret identies just ask. We just use those names cause that's what we do. Call me anything but late for dinner.
I understand there maybe something in the works to 'profile' instructors if you didn't already know what they were about. If that is done in the right context great idea. INGO, sperad the word...we have no secrets, were just trying to save the country.
Thanks, SD out.

J Jessup

Thanks to our Hosts at Wabash, Sheepdog and all the crew for a great event.

I just missed rifleman at the June AS but made it handily here thanks to great instruction.  ;D   I brought the 12 year old son of a friend and he just loved it.  I expect father and son to be back next year.  I have pictures but am rather swamped right now.  As soon as I can I'll post some.

BTW, congrats to all the other new Riflemen.

17Chap

Sheepdog

17chap, looking forward to your photos. Mike

resdep

I attended the shoot in Wabash in June and again in October. The events were well run and very, very informative. There were two of us shooting the M1A and we were the designated "Dangerous Old Men". I didn't qualify in June but not one to give up I went home and practiced to be ready for the October shoot. I am at the stage in life and eyesight that starting out in the morning I could focus ok and make good hits. But as the day wore on eyestrain won out and I just couldn't "see" the fuzzy little targets much less hit them. In October I decided to use an AR-15 that I was more familiar with and see how it went. I started off doing very well but the ability to see the 300 and 400 yard targets got more and more difficult. After driving home Saturday disappointed I had not come very close to qualifying it occured to me that i had a small scope designed for the AR. As much as I wanted to shoot the .30 with open sights I came to realize a man has to recognize his limitations. On Sunday morning TC, who was aware of my focus problem, made sure I had time to get the scope on and sighted in. WOW, what a difference. First score was a 236. It's tough to admit your'e not 30 any more and the body doesn't work the way it used to but the end result was worth it. At lunch TC presented my rifleman badge and again included me in the Dangerous Old Man catagory. I learned more about shooting a rifle in the 4 days I attended Appleseed than in 30 years I have been shooting. I belong to a club in Auburn, IN and I am trying to get a shoot set up for next year. I'll keep you informed. Thanks Appleseed, for a great program.resdep

J Jessup

Beware of "Dangerous Old (partially blind) Men!   ::)

Chap

TreadCarefully

Resdep, good to hear from you. Congrats again! See you soon in Auburn!

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

hawkhavn

Resdep,

I mentioned the potential Auburn AS to the Instrucotrs at E'ville.  One of the MO guys perked up. "I've got family in Auburn!"  Instant sell as I believe it was the in-laws...

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

J Jessup

Picture Posting attempts:

Sheepdog shows us how to sneak up on Redcoats.   :D  Not really

J Jessup

resdep between strings:

J Jessup

Pics of the Line:

J Jessup

I brought the son of a friend who thoroughly enjoyed himself and wants to come back.

J Jessup

Sheepdog and a new Rifleman (me).

17Chap

Sheepdog