News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Port Townsend, WA May 24-25, 2014

Started by George Hacker, May 24, 2014, 03:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

Just arrived at the hotel 30 minutes from the range. Shoot box, t-shirts, target line, and other equipment is packed in the pickup, ready to deploy once I arrive at Jefferson County Sportsmen's Association. Got a great crew of instructors lined up to work the event with me: Earl, paulw, and Yankee Terrier. Many first-time Appleseeders have signed up for the event. I can't wait for tomorrow to arrive.

Please stay tuned. More information will be posted as events unfold.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Earl

A very gentle Appleseed this weekend, at least four young shooters that I expect I will meet again on the Trail to that Rifleman patch.

The time was well spent, I learned a lot, talked a bit but shared some tales that stand up to the solemn Memorial Day observance. Calling the names of the fallen from April 19, 1775 was certainly appropriate.  We had father son teams on the line, and friends that came with their buddies, and then there were the veteran shooters with more than an idea of what they were about.

It was a privilege to spend this weekend with all the shooters and the RWVA crew at the fine facility in Port Townsend. Safe journeys.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Fixer

Had a great time out there with y'all.  That 209 is nagging at me though. =)

I'm definitely coming back, at this point I'm trying to decide between PT or Ariel in July.

I wanted to say that doing the historical "instruction" portions in an informal storytelling style to be very accessible while still being informative.  I was impressed with the attitude of all the attendees and instructors alike.

Looking forward to the AAR.

Now to set up that indoor "range" at the house...

George Hacker

What a wonderful weekend! Weather was decent (not perfect), instructors worked as a team, and the shooters were awesome! We had many first-time Appleseeders. They all came with a teachable attitudes and it showed on their targets. On Saturday, Kevin (a repeat rifleman) shot 242 with a bolt action .22 and two thirds of the shooters were shooting over 150 on their first AQT.

Since it was Memorial Day weekend, we shot the Saturday afternoon redcoat target as a volley. Earl called out the names of veterans killed in action April 19, 1775 and the shooters shot in cadence. After hearing the Three Strikes during breaks, many of the names were familiar by the time the volley was shot.

Brett shot 217 on his 2nd AQT Sunday. Huzzah! ..:..

Fixer shot a 209 - so close. :---

Dave shot a 200 on Saturday. He would have earned his patch if he shot 5 and 5 on stage 2 of the AQT instead of 2 and 8. Next time.

Alex went from 162 on Saturday to a high of 194 on Sunday.

Kenn went from 130 to 198.

Jerry H. shot a high score of 186.

Helen shot a personal best of 188 on Sunday. I'm sure we'll see her on the line again. She is knocking.

Spencer and Logan were our two 14-year old shooters. Spencer did much better once we corrected a misunderstanding about sight alignment (those pesky Ruger 10/22 sights). Logan came because his family saw us listed on the Youth Shooting Sports Assn. web page and this was his first firearms class. He shot 142 on his first AQT and finished with a personal high of 176.

Roger, work on the six steps of firing the shot with a smaller caliber rifle. Once you master the six steps, then get behind the SKS and work on your steady hold factors. I hope I see you on the line at a future shoot.

Thank you, shooters, for being excellent students. Continue to dry practice in the comfort of your living rooms. It will help your marksmanship immensely and make you more familiar with the manipulation of your rifles.

Earl, it is always a pleasure working shoots with you. Paul, it is great having you back on the line. I'm glad your knee is feeling better. Jay, thank you for helping with the shoot and taking care of range logistics. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you, Jefferson County Sportsmen's Association, for hosting this event. We couldn't do events without the support of ranges like yours.

George (aka ShadowMan)
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

George Hacker

PS - Thank you, Ted Gates, for spending a few minutes of your time talking about black powder muskets.

Shooters - if any of you are interested in shooting traditional black powder muskets and rifles in the Port Townsend area, contact Ted at stufadct (at) yahoo (DOT) com. Tell him that you heard his presentation at this Appleseed shoot this weekend.

Fixer

We'll see how it plays out, but I'm planning to come back July 12-13 and I'll have +2 shooters and +1 Blue Hat volunteer.  I've got interest from another 2-3 shooters also. 

Only hitch now is the 795 LTR is showing unavailable via galleryofguns.

paulw

Quote from: Fixer on May 27, 2014, 04:32:31 PM
We'll see how it plays out, but I'm planning to come back July 12-13 and I'll have +2 shooters and +1 Blue Hat volunteer.  I've got interest from another 2-3 shooters also. 

Only hitch now is the 795 LTR is showing unavailable via galleryofguns.
I've got two that aren't spoken for yet.... Send me a PM to reserve  ;D

paulw

This weekend was a perfect way to come back to the Appleseed trail after more than a few months away.

The Jefferson County Sportsmans Association range is a great layout for an Appleseed and the members I met were gracious in their interest and welcome.
The instructor cadre was a pleasure to reunite with - fun and knowledgeable.
But of course, it was the participants who will keep me coming back. We had a terrific group of new Appleseeders and a few who have been with us in the past. Fantastic attitudes even when the weather made it - challenging Sunday afternoon. I suspect we would have delivered a few more patches had the rain not turned our targets into mush.... next time  O0

Thanks to all and I hope to see you again soon on the line..

George Hacker

Here is a picture of the young patriots at the event. They were an awesome group to work with, and very well  behaved.

Earl

Having Odin's picture there, reminded me of how special it was that he was at an Appleseed on his birthday. Couldn't think of a finer thing to do than shoot safely with friends and learn about our heritage on my birthday.  ^:)^
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.