News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville, IN. Patriots Day 2014

Started by Mudcat, April 20, 2014, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

Another Patriots Day in in the books as we had 20 shooters attend the event at wonderful Red Brush Range near Evansville, IN. This shoot had been sold out for a couple months but we put out the call that we had more room on the line for walk on shooters. We ended up with 20 all together.

Everyone was taking the instruction very well and trying new ways to do what they had been doing for years. Everyone was making some progress even if you did not see it on your targets we seen it in the way you used your prep time and the confidence that was gained in your rifle handling. The ability to get into the positions and time it took was greatly improved. Groups were shrinking and moving on target. Even our youth shooters were doing an outstanding job. Lots of smiles and looks of determination were on the line all day.

In the end we had everyone improving greatly, 5 Riflemen, 3 new orange hats  and one new red hat. But we also had 20 fine Patriots that now know more about their heritage and sacrifices our founders made for our freedom and liberty. I know many of you said you will be back, I hope you come back soon remember a Rifleman persists, we are not a nation of quitters. I got to see Ole Fido shoot and back up a Rifleman score, this guy has been to 11 Appleseed events and has finally achieved his goal of obtaining his Rifleman patch. He should be an example to us all. Outstanding Randy, my hat is off to you my friend!
Thanks to Big John, Ben and Randy for stepping up and taking the orange hat and help us out.
A big congratulations to Rayne for passing her ITPC and becoming a full red hat instructor. You have been and will continue to be a great asset to Appleseed. I am very grateful that you gave me the chance to award you with this milestone. I am looking forward to working for and with you in the future, you are a great instructor. Now get to work!

I know there are some pictures out there. Feel free to post them. I will get mine posted tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to join us on this very special day! O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

john_boy

Mudcat, thank you to you and all of the instructors. The weather, history lessons, the instructions, and the compainionship of fellow Americans were great. Tyler and I had a great time. This was our first Appleseed, but it won't be the last. I would like to give special thanks to everyone that gave Tyler a little extra help,  Uncle Dave for pointing out a few of my flaws, Rayne for constantly kicking my trigger foot higher while prone, and Redbaron just for getting me to go. Hats off to all of the ladies and gentlemen who organized and put on the event. In my opinion, it was a huge success.  I learned more about marksmanship this weekend than I had after 8.5 years in the military.

olefido

Mudcat, I don't have the words to describe how it felt to finally get my patch. I couldn't have done it without your support, encouragement, and advice. Thank you. Between you and dond, I feel like I have had some of the best teachers in Appleseed helping me along. You guys never gave up on me. I would like to thank all the other instructors that were there and all the ones along the road who have helped me out. You guys are the best. I want to encourage all the shooters who were there to stick with it. The shock, the joy, and the thrill of having a good friend hand you that patch is something I will hold on to for the rest of my life. It felt as if a tremendous weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

The weather was great. The drive home last night was beautiful. The shooters were a an enthusiastic and friendly bunch. I don't recall any problems with anyone. Everyone was friendly and helpful to each other. The instructors were extremely competent and helpful to everyone. I could not have asked for a more pleasant environment to make Rifleman. I hope everyone who didn't get their patch this weekend is already planning for their next Appleseed experience. Huzzah!
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

hawkhavn

Huzzah! Sounds like a great shoot, wish I could have been there.
Congrats all around.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Unbridled Liberty

Olefido and Rayne; congratulations to you both.   O0 I wish I could have been there, but we were busy vanquishing Redcoats in Kentucky as well.   &)

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

redbaron

AM Redcoats

Patriot's Day Volley

Our Posterity

Riflemen - Congrats guys!
Scott

olefido

Kris

Brandon - Getting a little North Bridge water

New IIT's
olefido

Ben

Big John

New Red Hat - Congrats Rayne!

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Tup

Robin & I had a great time & we will for sure be back again. Everyone was very helpful & I could tell that they truly enjoy & believe in what they are doing.

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Big John

That was a fun one. Weather was wonderful, and there was not much wind to be had on the Redbrush Range, which is a blessing and a rarity. The histories were good and had feeling, the people responded to the instruction, and actually the line had better starting accuracy on the five squares than others I've seen. I had seventh stepped my friend and his lady to come, and she'll come to the next one. Justin was complimentary of the history and the program, and was frustrated at his sights slipping on his LTR. Note, make sure those Tech Sights get lock-tited down to the rails of any LTRs you run across. I should have slipped him one of my scoped 10-22s when that happened, but, ah well, next time it is. He'll come back for sure, along with his better half, so that's a success there.

I went and realized a challenge this weekend that started as a joke at the last Appleseed. Someone suggested I try a bolt action or something more challenging. I commented I had an old lever gun stashed away and was immediately told, with gleaming eyes, "BRING IT!"

So, I brought 1952 Marlin 39A to the line. Stiff trigger and weak springs were challenges, but harder was running the rifle correctly. I learned to maintain cheek weld while running the lever, and to not punch the trigger when you want to cycle that action. Follow through must be there.

Almost got up to qualifying scores with it. It will be back. I think I learned more, and had a more valuable shoot with it, than with my 10-22. "Respect the age of that rifle, allow it all the time it wants on stage 4." "You're not old enough to own that rifle." and my favorite "John broke his gun!" from the Line Boss when I had a jam on stage four; thus causing some alarm when she saw the rifle go into two pieces briefly to clear it.

Everyone, instructor and shooter alike, was very supportive, even though some people thought I was crazy. I wanted to shoot rifleman with it before I accepted an orange hat as sort of a milestone, but, a rifleman persists; I will shoot a 210 with it someday, and I've got the orange hat in the meantime.

A last comment. We had a follow up AQT grind the next day, not really an Appleseed event, but one thing is worth mentioning. Another Doug, I believe, not IIT Doug, who had been at multiple previous Appleseeds, was there, and, despite boot failures (repaired with duct tape on the spot), persisted. He shot 5 or 6 AQTs right under 210, then blew the doors off the last one with a 224. No bridge water for that dude, although we did have another gentleman, Paul, I believe, get the 210 and the bridgewater.

Hunting Goodman

Mudcat, Rayne and the rest of you wonderful Patriots and Instructors, we cannot thank you enough (again) for all of the wonderful History of what our past-patriots did for us, and for the great instruction throughout the day  ^:)^
Zack & Preston really had a great time, and put some great shots down-range! It was great to see Preston go from a 76 last year to a 138 this year, and Zack is becoming a eagle eye pretty quick with his 158 score! All of us had a wonderful time, and it really surprised me how much I had forgot from last November! Not sure when we can make the next Appleseed due to my work schedule, but I am going to do my best to get all of us to one more this year  O0
Thank you all very much for your patience, teaching me how to count, and letting us re-live the story of how our country became the nation it is today.
Could any of you refer me to some good books that tell the whole story of the Revolutionary War? I don't know if you share the story you tell at the Appleseed shoots or not, but that would be great to have also! Kudos for the wonderful day we had together, and for meeting some friendly new shooters!  :bow:
Thanks again
Scott & the boys

olefido

Had fun being next to you all on the line. :)
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Mudcat

Scott it was a pleasure having you guys on the line this fine day. My mother went on and on about how nice the boys were. The book which we take most of our stories out of is http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315 it is a great book that never gets old.
If you have a group that would like to hear the story please let me know we can get a Liberty Seed set up where we come tell the story to a group of people. Scout group, church group or even just a group of friends you want to hear the story. If you are interested feel free to contact me.
--George Washington

Hunting Goodman

Thanks Mudcat! Will get my wife to order the book for me, and will maybe take you up on your offer sometime! Hey would a .308 bolt gun be good for the Sunday Known Distance shoot?
Thanks Again  :bow:

Mudcat

If that is what you have then yes a .308 bolt action rifle will be fine. I always recommend the shooter bring what they have and not borrow something more appropriate. I feel it is more important to have the data and experience with our own rifle. Now there are others who disagree.
--George Washington