News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

COEUR d'ALENE IDAHO KD WINTERSEED AAR, November 16-17, 2013

Started by eert, November 19, 2013, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

This KD shoot started off with a couple of inches of fresh snow and heavy fog/low visibility and more snow making the 400 yard line just about invisible and turning this KD event into a Winterseed KD!  We shot a quick 5 square to verify zeros before moving to the longer distances.  An early lunch in the warm and dry classroom brought some instruction, good discussion, and some new heritage geared towards distance marksmanship.  (A big thanks to the Instructor who posted the three part KD history).

After lunch 5-shot sighters were shot from prone at each of the distances with downrange visits to check Point-of-aim vrs point- of- impact and to paste/mark targets.  Each stage was shot for score after determining sight adjustments, allowing a full KD AQT to be completed on Saturday.  The Stage 1 results were truly impressive with every shooter scoring in the 40's, and a couple at the 48 to 49 level.  As I watched the shooters during this stage, I was impressed at how steady they were, and noted that I would not want to be on the receiving end of this fire at the 100 yard line!

Niskibum shot a KD RM score on the Saturday stage and followed up Sunday shooting 2 additional RM scores, one of which cracked the 210 benchmark. Actineon joined Niskibum and shot a RM score over 210 also.  Reticle calibration and front post calibration targets were posted Sunday (because shoot boss forgot to do them Saturday!) to give shooters experience in range estimation techniques.  Highlights Sunday included Mr. Clean shooting a 49 on Stage 1 with the M1A, Niskibum cleaned  Stage 2 with a perfect 50, and nailed stage 3 with a 48.  A total of 4  KD AQTs were shot on Sunday.  We shot a QD AQT at the end of the day, and BorderRun cleaned stage 1 with a perfect 50!  The sun goes down early in this part of the world!

Thanks to the shooters who braved the roads to make this shoot a success.  Lumberjack55, I hope you made it over the pass OK on your way home.  I didn't find your detent spring at the house, so maybe it's in your rifle case.

EERT

KEY to photos below:
1. Saturday after lunch posting at the 100 yd line - note falling snow!
2. Sunday posting at 400 yard line
3. Sunday checking 100 yard scores
4. All four stages posted and ready for holes!
5. Actineon receiving his Winterseed Patch

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

eert

Send me a PM with email and I'll forward the word version, as I can't recall where I found it!

EERT

Earl

Now a Winterseed Patch possible and the just great experience of shooting KD with the M1, two reasons to wish I could have been there. Looks like you all did a fine job, will have to go back to the drawing board and much more practice on KD to look as good as those fine shooters.  Thanks for having it, a great call and something I will look forward to in my Appleseed future.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37472.msg271316#msg271316 The three part KD History is at this link, there could be others.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Niskibum

I had a great time! Really enjoyed hearing some new history, and learning some more shooting info, as if I didn't have enough to process from the regular Appleseeds. Here is some shameless self promotion, since my camera was the only one around on Saturday.

SureShotSpartan

Huzzah!!!  It appears that this was an excellent event, snow and all!! 
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

peterlandsiedel

Jealous I couldn't attend! Looks like a lot was learned and you all had a lot of fun.

I promised Eert a game package/bbq if I got an elk this weekend and I'm sad to report I came home empty handed. I should have skipped hunting and gone to this instead...

Audrey

Quote from: peterlandsiedel on November 20, 2013, 11:37:29 AM
Jealous I couldn't attend! Looks like a lot was learned and you all had a lot of fun.
I'm jealous too. I love the snow and I really enjoy KD shooting. Hopefully next year we can make it out to one of these!

Surveyor1653

Quote from: Earl on November 20, 2013, 12:44:59 AM
Now a Winterseed Patch possible and the just great experience of shooting KD with the M1, two reasons to wish I could have been there. Looks like you all did a fine job, will have to go back to the drawing board and much more practice on KD to look as good as those fine shooters.  Thanks for having it, a great call and something I will look forward to in my Appleseed future.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37472.msg271316#msg271316 The three part KD History is at this link, there could be others.

Tells me it's either missing or off limits to me. Does the link work for anyone else?
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

Earl

I think that link goes into the Instructor area of the forum, don't know why you can't get it but my guess is you might need an upgrade?
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Nero

Quote from: Earl on November 21, 2013, 01:13:55 AM
I think that link goes into the Instructor area of the forum, don't know why you can't get it but my guess is you might need an upgrade?

I believe there are some areas that scuzzy has set up to require IIT2 or above to enter.  You can always copy that file and post it on this thread, not like it's double-code-word-top-secret or anything, the Redcoats already know how it comes out.   ;D
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Border-Run

it was just a fun **) weekend.   please let everyone know that if we have another winter/kd seed ever again at COEUR d'ALENE IDAHO. you will at least one shooter. ..:.. :~ ..:.. :~

actineon

I love winterseed KD events. As a shoot boss, I don't shoot as often as I should, so I jumped on this opportunity to get my first KD rifleman's score. Winterseed weather keeps away the crowds and you usually only see the dedicated riflemen come.

Of course, winterseed's teach you some things you might never learn otherwise, so for example, my Cat Crap (yes, that's the product name of the defogger) was in high demand to keep our glasses and lenses from fogging up.

eert

EARL and Peter,

Sorry to have missed you on this shoot. Earl, I was looking forward to your critique of my KD instruction, and filling in any holes I missed.  Peter, I hope the no elk was not a "missed shot", but a lack of having a good target to shoot at.  Otherwise, you do need some KD time!

Currently there is not any KD scheduled in Coeur d'Alene for 2014.  If there is an overwhelming desire to repeat this event, my arm could probably be twisted. PLEASE USE THIS THREAD to recommend MONTH/DATE  PICKS.  Keep in mind I am not generally available from July to mid-October.  Coeur d'Alene AS events currently scheduled (and these need to stay as regular AS events) for 2014 are:

April 12-13
June 14-15
Set 20-21
Oct 18-19

Thanks,

EERT

peterlandsiedel

Eert,

I can assure you I missed no shots last saturday. :) Rather, I suffered from the "everything I saw I couldn't shoot" problem. I saw 11 does (in a buck-only area), a spike bull elk (in a brow-tined bull elk only area), and a wolf (which I did not have a tag for.) Regardless, it was nice to take my rifle for a hike.

I am still itching to attend a KD event, and I know Kaiser is definitely interested as well. There are only a few weekends between now and June that absolutely won't work, so I am pretty flexible for the most part. I'll see if I can't convince Jared to return to CDA for another KD shoot... That way you'd have at least 3 guaranteed shooters from MT.

Stuart McKim

Sounds like y'all had a good time. Sorry I couldn't make it up (I'm bummed about that), but sometimes my job just doesn't approve certain vacation requests.

I got skunked elk hunting as well that Friday. For some reason, when visibility is 25-50 yards, the elk don't just wander up to say hi... Would have much rather been up in CDA shootin' paper!
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)

carol1425

Stuart McKim

Quote from: carol1425 on December 09, 2013, 12:47:40 AM
Hi Stuart.....how about a winterseed in IF? ::)

Start a thread in the Idaho board and drum up support. :) I'm at the range anyway all winter, so we could probably make it happen. At this point I'm more worried about getting our standard events on the schedule. ;)
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)