News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Atterbury JMTC 15-16 June, 2013 Wolf Performance Ammostyle

Started by SPQR, June 17, 2013, 03:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

Operation: Tolling Bell

As dawn broke the humid morning cast a heavy pall of fog across Range 5 as patriots began stirring.  Roused from their slumber and invigored by the taste of Liberty they gathered, grim-faced and teeth set firmly together.  A lone bell began to peel its warning across the field and the mist and fog retreated from its throat.  The sun broke fresh and clear.  A board was thrown to the ground, upon it lay a 7-inch circle and a single bullet hole.  This is what we must aspire to be.  This is what we must build up inside our souls so our bodies may follow.  If we ignore the tolling, and can not awaken to its anguish, we shall surely fail.

So it was that 69 brave souls arrived at Atterbury ready to throw themselves against the challenge of our forefathers.  May our victory be insured by our efforts as Citizens and may History remember our generation as the one that was able to wake up and Save the Sinking Ship.

Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

Thanks you to all of the Riflemen and attendees!  Thank you to all of the instructors, especially those of Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois and Wisconsin for giving of yourself so freely.

Thank you to Wolf Performance Arms, Mach1, and IWI for being willing to gear up with us and give this event a chance to make an impression.  Thanks CJ!!!

I hope to see you all on the trail real soon!

Post if you got em.       
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

It's eerily quiet...no response to the Shoot Boss yet.  Perhaps everyone is still taking it all in.  Contemplating the experience, the story, our shared heritage.  Maybe they're also tired and recuperating from the weekend.  Five miles each day.  Yep, we walked with our own two feet fives miles a day.  Five miles in the searing sun on Saturday, five miles again Sunday with feet blistered from the day before and then raw and soaked from working for hours in the rain.  That's not stuff your typical American does every weekend.  Don't let the experience be for nothing.  Remember it, honor your forefathers, and get to work righting this country.  The bell is tolling - are you gonna answer?

Thank you to each and every one of you for joining us this weekend.  Participants, instructors, and vendors.  All came together for a unique and amazing learning experience.  Each of the participants should be commended for a job well done.  No one whined or complained or stomped off the range when it got hot or wet or hard.  You stuck with it - thank you.  And thank you to each and every instructor.  Each and every one of you put in a long and hard weekend knowing that you needed to pass along something so important that there was no where else you could in good conscience be this weekend.  Thank you for that sacrifice.  And thank you to our sponsors for the weekend.  That ammo was sold, but the shooters got it for free.  You can't put a price tag on Liberty, and they know it.  Thank you for the support.

That bell is still tolling...what are you gonna do about it?
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Unbridled Liberty

Thank you CJ, Wolf, Mach1, IWI, instructors and shooters.  What a great event.  Think about what happened last weekend folks; responsible, upstanding, free men and women, CITIZENS, put nearly 10,000 rounds downrange, the majority of rounds striking exactly where intended, with no injuries, with no fear of police or military rolling in and arresting us.  We were citizens on a military base, with rifles.   Our government can trust us, and did so last weekend.  Our fellow citizens, our neighbors, can trust us.  We need to win their hearts and minds.  Tell them The Story.  Tell them what was done to secure the Liberty that we enjoyed last weekend, that we enjoy each day.  And bring at least two people with you to another Appleseed clinic.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

yellowhousejake

A great weekend; good shooting, good weather (rain sure, but even light makes good sight pictures), and the sound of Liberty rolling through the air. We spoke a lot about marksmanship and how this nation was once a nation of Riflemen, here are some more thoughts on that subject.

The Loyalist Bradford brothers, Philadelphia printers, wrote the following story which appeared in the London Chronicle on August 17, 1775: "This province has raised 1,000 riflemen, the worst of whom will put a ball into a man's head at a distance of 150 or 200 yards, therefore advise your officers who shall hereafter come out to America to settle their affairs in England before their departure.
http://www.revolutionarywararchives.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=182:those-tall-american-patriots-and-their-long-rifles&catid=30:life-times&Itemid=56

One British observer wrote, "Most of our Grenadiers and Light-infantry, the moment of presenting themselves lost three-fourths, and many nine-tenths, of their men. Some had only eight or nine men a company left ...
Ketchum, Richard (1999). Decisive Day: The Battle of Bunker Hill. New York: Owl Books. ISBN 0-385-41897-3. OCLC 24147566.

Their marksmanship won the day certainly, but only because they were there. It was the character of the people, the willingness to preserve their Liberty at the ultimate cost, that gave their marskmanship a setting in which to be useful.

They gave of themselves so that the terrible burden to sacrifice all would never have to fall upon the people again. It's up to us to honor that, and to make good use of the sacrifice they made.

I hope to see everyone on the line again, with a friend.

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

imadentist

Thanks for the inspiring words.  I have already decided I will be at Atterbury next year to join you patriots!  My only regret is that I was not there this year...live and learn.

techres

So many pictures.  Gonna try and break them up in posts:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

techres

smiledochill

This was my 4th Appleseed, 3rd KD, and 3rd time getting Rifleman and I can say I saw more interesting variety in rifle types and styles this time than any other seed I've been to.  Guys single loading rounds into bolt action rifles with smooth precise motions, guys wearing their duty gear to make it more realistic training, ladies as usual out shooting the majority of us...

Old fat guys like me, young guys in active military service and everything in between.  As a participant I can say that Appleseed really brought out the A team for this one.  Granted I've never experienced what I thought would qualify as B team quality from volunteers, or staff at any level in this organization but this was a little more polished than normal even.

I value humility so please take this as a point of pride and kodos to the instructors.... This will go down personally as one of my most cherished accomplishments.  I've patched before with a ss 26" HBAR upper designed for precision target/ varmint shooting and a 4x scope but this one was different.  16" DD hammer forged barrel, back up folding iron sights with gross front sight elev adj only and windage only on back peep.  A battle rifle with really nothing on it designed for target, sport, precision or safe queen in mind.  I love hiking and camping in bad weather and getting a 33 during the AQT in the rain with good ol' Wolf ammo was icing on the cake. 

This rural guy that's been trapped in the suburbs for years has just regained a little bit of himself.  Thanks Appleseed!

FlyguyXII

To all the instructers and volunteers that put this Appleseed on I want to say Thank You!! I learned alot this weekend about myself, my rifle and about how this great country began. I plan on returning again next year with a friend. It was a great weekend and I look forward to my next Appleseed.

Thank You!!

Rob

dragonfly

Thanks to everyone for sharing a weekend with APPLESEED, thanks to CJ and WOLF for sponsoring this event, thanks to Kevin from Mach1.
GOOD TIMES  O0
D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

SPQR

The shirts were a test run.  I really like them.  PM Maynard and tell him you liked the way they turned out. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Kortik

Thank you for a great experience. I had a blast!  ;D
I want to say a few words about it:  First I am a naturalized citizen and I could not be more proud and humbled by the stories that I learned during this event. Just like you and your forefathers I am ready to defend our liberty.
Second, I have to admit that I was never familiar with Appleseed mission and what got my attention first was the add about wolf and iwi sponsors. Sure it advertised free ammo, but what caught my eye was a possibility to shoot a Tavor. I was thrilled! However, after reading what your organization represents i was hooked. I managed to convince my co-worker to look at your site and invited him to join me . He decided to bring his son who ended up having a lot of fun.
I really enjoyed shooting Saturday but I decided to head home on Sunday. It was that story about the that guy leaving his kids, I was thinking about my 3 year old son who I left at home for a weekend and how much I missed him. I spoke to him Saturday night and he asked me when I will come home because he really missed me. So, I decided to let someone else use that free ammo, and miss my chance to shoot the Tavor plus all those AQTs and head home for a Father's Day.
However, I really enjoyed my short experience and I am definitely planning to come back next time there is a long range event. Thank you for this experience.

GoldFish

Wow, what a weekend.  From setting up in a poorly ventilated target barn spraying large volumes of glue onto backers, it promised to be quite the experience.  But seriously, this shoot was incredible.  I didn't really get a chance to see or work with the shooters on Saturday, but by merely observing targets I noticed very significant improvement and knew that we'd have some Rifleman on Sunday.  No surprise!  Seven Riflemen later (including re-quals), I was like, "Dang, Ol Huffer sure knows how to run a shoot."  Congrats on the improved skills and rifleman scores.  As CJ said, buy Wolf and go shoot.  Buy whatever you can, AND GO SHOOT!

A big 'thank you' goes out to Wolf, Mach1, and IWI for this one.  The contributions donated to Appleseed this weekend show your support of our Country and the great traditions and Heritage pertaining to it.  We truly are grateful.  CJ, I'm gonna check out that book...

Instructors, what can I say, but you're the best group of people that I have ever met, bar none.  triggernick, I'll work the the pits with you anytime too. O0  Slow2Speak, you're just awesome.  I would love to spend some more time with and learn from you, because I know you have a lot to give.  West, great to see you again man; good luck, and I hope to see you up north sometime.  AuntieBellum, it was great finally meeting and working with you; it won't be the last time!  slim, holy cow, you know how much I love being Mohawk 1 Alpha and honorary member of FTC.  yellowhousejake, you've got yourself sorted out.  I am very disappointed that I was not able to glean more from your vast bank of knowledge of shooting, instructing, and being a great American; you have a lot to offer, and I truly hope to acquire some of that knowledge by observing and working with you in the future.
Ahh, SPQR...Mr. Awesome.  The name does you justice...almost.  But ferserious, thank you for taking the time to talk with me, explain to me everything I ask about (including the why's, how's, and everything else I should know) and just be one heck of an American.  Our Trails will cross again.

Instructors and shooters...Americans, if you can make it to an shoot at Camp Atterbury, DO IT!!!  You will learn a whole lot more than just how to shoot a rifle at 500 yards (but you'll get your fill of top notch KD instruction and shooting too), and I guarantee you will not regret it...guarantee it.  Leaner and meaner is the key.  But get thee to Camp Atterbury!

Let it begin here...

---GoldFish
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Hop

I've said this before and last weekend confirmed that I am a KD junkie!  It's just all the more rewarding to lug around gear similar to what our founders did.   It gives you just a little taste of what they had to deal with but without the hazards of a two way range.  As we were doing the balloon dash I could picture in my mind the enemies of Liberty rushing towards us.  My heard pounding from the run, rushing to get slung up, trying to hold steady... PEW! PEW!  If only I had put down one of those tyrant balloons!  One round left in the chamber on cease fire.  Rats!  Could I have gotten one?  Maybe next time I'll know.

A huge thank you to all the hat wearing instructors and pit workers.   :bow:

A huge thanks to all the sponsors, especially Wolf!  I had run Wolf ammo in carbine classes but never tried any serious target shooting.  It shot great and even had a few sub 2 MOA sighter groups out at 300 yards!  I didn't score Rifleman with the PSA XM855 on day 1 but I did using the Wolf on day 2.

btownie

The shirts are good for these two reasons.. Simplicity and conversation starters.   In my mind people are likely to ask, "What's Appleseed mean?" or "Whats that phrase mean?"  Boom. That's a chance to tell someone about the awesomeness that is Appleseed.

MeanStreaker

So I had to work Miamisburg's shoot this past weekend.

Can I come help you guys at the next one?

I'll follow Mr. Awesome anywhere.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

GoldFish

Quote from: MeanStreaker on June 19, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
So I had to work Miamisburg's shoot this past weekend.

Can I come help you guys at the next one?

I'll follow Mr. Awesome anywhere.

Oh yeah!  MeanStreaker, Mr. Awesome, and Mohawk...you really cannot get any better than that.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

SPQR

I am not currently accepting followers, but there is always room beside me in the bucket brigade.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Brown

We owe a great Thanks to Wolf, IWI, and MAch 1 for their suport of this event. CJ with Wolf is a true believer in the program and if anyone of the shooters or instructors are curious about what type of guy he is google Dillard Johnson and army. He has an amazing life to say the least.

9000 rds of steel case ammo with Zero rifle malfunctions due to ammo. while at times 1.25-2MOA accuracy at 300yds+. Not bad at all I think.

Also want to thank all the shooters who came out to spend a fathers day weekend with us. It was a pleasure sharing the range with all of you.

A few more pictures from some different angles:

I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Barbie

Atterbury events are always quite the experience, and a big thank you to Wolf, IWI, and Mach 1 for their contributions... they are very much appreciated, and only served to make this event even more enjoyable. 

To the shooters who attended the event, it was great working with each one of you while I was on the line.  Even while in the pits, I could see the improvement that ya'll were making.  The fact that ya'll persisted through the intense heat and rain, was a sight to be seen, and makes me glad to have been part of it all.

Instructors:  as always, you couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with.  I look forward to working future events with you guys & gals. 

Aside from the heritage and marksmanship, there's one moment that stands out in my mind that makes me smile... after a day of working the pits, the WONDERFUL sight of a line full of shooters emerging around the end of pits to come help tear down made my afternoon.  Noone asked what needed to be done, they all just started pitching in to get the job done.  That sense of teamwork and just doing what needed to be done, no questions asked.... that is something special. 

Come out to more events, bring family, bring friends, and keep the story of our forefathers alive and well.

Here's til next time   :---
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

HQ

Oh my goodness - I think I'm finally starting to recover!

EXCELLENT weekend!  We had a 200 yard line!  Smiles were to be seen at the end of each day - with laughs and grins combined Sunday night!  There is no better way to end an Applessed in my mind!

A HUGE thanks to everyone who was down in the pits!  A HUGE thanks to CJ and Wolf! Also to IWI and MAch 1!  The ammo was great - I don't think there was a single misfire all weekend - and the line was literally booming!  It was great to hear!

Rest up!  October isn't that far away!

vanny37

I don't know about you, but when the Fire command was given on the first red coat I didn't fire; I listened to the sound of 40-some battle rifles opening up and it was glorious.

To all who made this happen - thank you!  The instructors are invaluable sources of knowledge and fun, and their work during the weekend is appreciated.  The sponsors were fantastic supporting Appleseed the way they did; way to go CJ, WOLF, IWI, and Mach1.

Always amazed at the skills that are developed by everyone.  Going to the pits at the end of the day Sunday and looking at those targets - most of them were just peppered in the black - that was awesome to know that line had some abilities.  I appreciate the help and advice the instructors give, as you are talented at teaching.  I certainly gained knowledge, experience, and confidence.

Couple things that the weekend confirmed for me: 1.  Steel cased ammo is just fine - most of us can't shoot better than the ammo anyway.  I've always shot lots of it because I'm a cheapskate and I've never had problems.  Seeing the same happen with so many others just confirms that.  Looking through my notes from the weekend, I had sighters at 300 and 400yds right at about 2-2.5moa.  2. Write it down.  Notes help, do it as much as you can.  Sometimes I get lazy and later that's when I needed that info.

Some things I learned: 1. Battle rifles are tough.  Even if its Slim's  -:) grease gun that gets cleaned once every 3,000 pews or whatever, it'll function.  2.  You can always learn.  Keep asking for feedback.  Study - notes, info, targets, etc.  3.  The things they teach work.  When I had problems, assessing my fundamentals usually found the problem - me doing it wrong!  4.  Consistency is hard.  Repeatedly performing the tasks and getting that down will make the difference between good and great.  5.  4moa is hard.  6.  4moa consistently is hard.  But all very do-able if you keep at it.

The balloons were a blast.  2 rounds in and I realized that shooting at a true 4moa target probably required a hold in my sight picture due to my 6 o'clock hold.  3rd round - byebye tyrant balloon.  Unfortunately the other one lived to tell the tale. 

Most importantly, it was great to know we are not alone out there and that there are others who care about this country.  Great to see many familiar faces again and meet many more!

Take care,
Chris
Live free or die

MI-copperhead

Looks like ya'all had a great time. I was really sorry I did not get on the stick sooner and sign up for this event. I have longed to do a KD since I first shot "Rifleman" and this event was as close to home as any. I'll definately be watching more closely for the next one.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Hop

So who got a picture of my broken M1A extractor?  I just got my RMA call tag info from Springfield.  I guess "Ginger" is going off on a 4-6 week vactaion to her IL homeland.  Ugh!!!  "Mary Ann" filled in admirably and got me another patch though.

Rifle names courtesy of YHJ.   :P

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Hop on June 28, 2013, 04:48:58 PM
So who got a picture of my broken M1A extractor?  I just got my RMA call tag info from Springfield.  I guess "Ginger" is going off on a 4-6 week vactaion to her IL homeland.  Ugh!!!  "Mary Ann" filled in admirably and got me another patch though.

Rifle names courtesy of YHJ.   :P

I'd take Mary Ann any day over Ginger.  My momma raised me right.  Let us know how long it takes and how it turns out.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms