News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crawfordsville, IN July 17-18, 2012

Started by ATM, July 17, 2012, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

Great first day! The heat could not subdue the awesome attitudes and determination of those who showed up for this midweek event at Crawfordsville Gun Club.  O0

Tremendous improvement in the first several courses of instruction. I would not be surprised to see some Rifleman scores tomorrow. Everyone is coming back for more so... HYDRATE!  :cool2:

Back with more tomorrow...
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

ATM

Day two was awesome as well.

Our midweek INFERNOSEED survivors pressed on through the heat and humidity, grinding out AQTs and enjoying some 100 yard targets and steel with various .22s, an AR, an AK and a Mosin Nagant.

High temp of 98 on Tuesday and peaking up to 101 on Wednesday...  :cool2: scorchin' to say the least.

Congrats to our new Rifleman, Brad, and my utmost respect and thanks to the rest of this hardy crew of attendees and instructors, Mike, Hugh, Danna, Micah, Sarah, grunt soldier, spitfire51 and Barbie.

Well done, everyone!  :bow:

Check back for pictures and please add your thoughts and comments... I'll add more later, but I'm whooped.  ;)

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Barbie

Talk about some HOT weather!  Despite the heat, everyone carried on very well  through both days!   ~~:)

It was great to see the improvement come as quickly as it did on day 1.   O0  Everyone came with that "teachable attitude" and we started seeing rounds hitting the intended targets and groups shrinking before lunch.

The 3 strikes & DOM stories were very much enjoyed by all, and I have a feeling will be passed on to others who will hopefully come join us out on the line!

Day 2 was just as hot, but you would have never have known as we recapped and went into the AQT grind.  The heat didn't seem to damper the enthusiasm of the shooters... you guys rock  O0

After lunch and some more AQT's it was time to do some KD.  BOOM..............DING! BOOM..................DING!  BOOM...............DING!    Everyone got some experience at shooting 100 yds with their .22's, a couple AR's, and a Mosin Nagant.  And of course they were smilin' like kids on Christmas when they heard that BOOM...........DING!  (Although I think Micah (sry if I mispelled) smiled even bigger when he managed to shoot a link out of the chain and rendered our 8" steel target useless!!!!   :---  )

By the end of day 2 everyone saw major improvements.  Huzzah!  We had 1 Rifleman score, and 2 shooters take advantage of the Rifleman's Opportunity Card.

Danna-  You're rocking that standing position!  Remember our little comparison with rifle positions & our favorite pair of heels:  "It may not be comfortable, but dangit it looks good!"   ;)

Micah-  When you're on, you're on.  With a little more practice, you'll be able to sport that patch just like you're dad!  Keep up the good work!   :---

Brad-  Congrats on your Rifleman score!  It was a pleasure to be calling the line when you scored that magic #!   ..:..

Hugh-  You know when you've sent a shot into the target exactly where you wanted it.  Keep up with that rifleman's cadence.  With some more practice those groups will shrink up quite nicely.   :)

Mike-   You are "knocking on the door" with that 199.  Find out what works for you equipment-wise, and trust your NPOA. 

It was a pleasure working as an IIT for the 1st time with you all.  ATM & Spitfire, thanks for all the helpful advice. 

Hope to see ya'll on the trail!

~ Barbie   :~

:pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics:
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

bradw266

What a great two days we had in Crawfordsville. Micah and I had a wonderful time! I just want to say thanks to all of you instructors who invested so much of your time to put on a great event. Both days were a combination of quality training, celebrating our American history, and just a flat out fun time. Somehow you talented people were able to teach us while making us smile and laugh. I appreciated the atmosphere of support that you provided. You didn't put any extra pressure on us (except to HYDRATE!). Instead, you were always there with a suggestion or some positive feedback. I also appreciated your constant vigilance in regard to safety.

Also, a big thanks to the other participants. You folks were great to be around and you definitely added to the fun.

I enjoyed the opportunity to shoot the centerfire weapons on Day 2. Thanks to everyone that brought one. The AR, the AK, and the Mosin Nagant were a blast. I had a lot of fun shooting steel but for Micah it was "amazing". He doesn't show excitement very often but he was all smiles when he was telling family and friends about shooting steel with those weapons. And yes Barbie, he's awfully proud of breaking that steel target!  ^:)^

I can honestly say that there was no other way that I would have wanted to spend those two days. Thanks again to all the instructors for your skill, preparation, and hard work. I look forward to the next time.....which will definitely be in cooler weather.

ATM, the bacon was a nice touch.  O0

Brad

mocknbird

I had the best time.... even though the temp was set to hell   ...... it was nice to see Brad,Micah,Mike and Hugh again... we meet the first time in Cloverdale.... Of course you can't have a proper Appleseed without ATM... with him the "hits" literally keep on coming which totally made up for the heat (did I mention it was Set on hell)....and I can't forget the best instructor ever...and I am not just saying that because he let me borrow his almost new rifle and other equipment... thanks Matt...you rock....

Barbie was able to build on my newly acquired skills and with her help and encouragement I was able to squeeze out a 119 on my AQT... I and new to the Lingo, but, she put it into terms I could understand.. hence the heels remark  .... totally missed Sarah on the 2ND day.... leaving me to sweat on my own ... and last but not least... PAT seriously you totally get me hooked on shooting and history and don't even show the next day.... you are sooooo on my list ...

spitfire51

Somebody asked for pictures?  I've got a few:

A covered firing line, aren't we generous?  Ok, it was absolutely necessary with the weather we had, and those canopies sure came in handy

Mike and Grunt Soldier working on carding the sights, getting a revealing lesson in the magic of NPOA

Is there anything better than daddy/daughter day at the range?

How about our father and son pair showing off some good looking seated positions

Not to be outdone, Hugh and Mike built some solid positions of their own

Time to take in some shade while ATM tells the stories of our forefathers

Day 2, the AQT grind...so shooters, what exactly are your targets telling you?

Our theme of the event, ATM is drinking, why aren't you drinking!

Working on the standing position while Barbie looks on and offers advice.  It may have been her first shoot as an IIT, but you wouldn't have known it by watching her!

Our new rifleman Brad, showing how it's done with a 215!

Our youth shooter Micah, who made tremendous progress throughout the event and won't be too far behind his father earning a patch

Thank you to everyone who came out and joined us at Crawfordsville.  It was a pleasure working with you all, now go out and spread the knowledge you gained this week.  Come back and see us again, but don't come alone!
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

mocknbird

it must have been the heat.... for I forgot to mention,that if it was not because of grunt solider, I would have never found the greatness of Appleseed, or the joy of shooting... without grunt solider, I would have had not gun to shoot... nor a mat to lay on.... he is the best trainer and friend a city girl could have...

grunt soldier

lol thank you danna.  your a good sport and I'm glad you made it back the next day even though I couldn't show up.  thanks spitfire for letting her use your equipment.  It was a awesome day for sure.  I had a blast and was glad you guys decided to let me hang around.  it was crazy crazy crazy hot lol.  I was praying for the rain but it just didn't manage to make it. 

all the shooters did a amazing job enduring in the heat and having a great teachable attitude despite the sweat in the eyes and mass amounts of water ATM was forcing them to drink lol.   I hope to see everyone again at a appleseed very soon.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Brother_COM

Excuse my French, but Grunt ain't got no eyes on in that carding the sights picture. Can we fix that?
Just pointing out the obvious safety factors.

Bro_COM

DaveD

Great to see some Cloverdale shooters back on the line!  I know, you just couldn't stay away from ATM  and his safe rifle song  **)

Brad, congrats on that patch.  O0
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

HoosierDaddy13

Thanks to ALL the instructors!  You guys were awesome.  It was a great 2 days of training, history and HEAT!  Although we joked about all ATM's songs, I think a fair number of people would buy one. haha.  I'm bringing my camera to the next one so we can put some up on youtube.  Hugh and I learned a bunch.  If I wasn't so blind I think I would have gotten the rifleman, but now I can look forward to the next one in a few weeks.  Thanks Spitfire for the pictures.  We actually look pretty good, almost like we new what we were doing.  I have told a bunch of people so we may have a large group for the next one...unless they wimp out because of the heat. 

Mike

Barbie

Quote from: HoosierDaddy13 on July 24, 2012, 08:46:22 PM
If I wasn't so blind I think I would have gotten the rifleman, but now I can look forward to the next one in a few weeks.  Mike

Was it eyesight that kept you from a 210, or Hugh throwing all his hot brass on ya?  **)

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

HoosierDaddy13

True Barbie,  I could probably blame Hugh as well.  I think one piece of brass branded me when it rolled under my arm.  haha.  Like a permanent reminder of the great 2 days.  One day (a long time from now) my grand kids will ask what that wierd mark on my arm is and I can tell them that was when I learned about dangerous old men and now I am one!