News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gunshow - State Fair Colosseum Building - MWCA - March 17-18, 2012

Started by AFTERMATH, February 03, 2012, 08:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

Well this is the big one...  For MN, anyway...

Let's get a table at this one, if at all possible.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 03, 2012, 08:01:33 PM
Well this is the big one...  For MN, anyway...

Let's get a table at this one, if at all possible.
Here is the form to request a table. It's $55.
http://www.mwca.org/Mar%2017-18%202012%20St%20Fair%20Coliseum%20Bldg%20show%20ap.pdf 
[there are spaces in the web address so that's what all the "%20"s are coming from.] Here is their main page, http://www.mwca.org/. I don't see a deadline to register, but I would guess 30 days ahead or longer would be good.

I have a lot of family obligations around St. Patrick's Day, so I might not be able to be at this one.

They also have a requirement that all table drapes must be flame retardant. Our current ones are not. They are just made from regular fabric. So we will need a flame retardant table cloth for an 8 foot table.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

AFTERMATH

Thanks Jennifer!

Flame retardant?  When did they decide to take all the fun out of it?
Actually, I understand Kevin can get us a table at a reduced price, and possibly shorter notice.
Is there anyone who'd like to take the lead on this?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Kosciusko

I called and left a message.  I'm a current member.
Hopefully they will get back to me about a table.

I'll pay the 1/2 price discount we get as a non-profit.

You guys figure out who's going to work the table, it's 2+ hour drive for me, I probably won't be there.

I have a banner and stand,  but how do I get them to you ?  How are you fixed for promo materials?

K

Kosciusko

MWCA just called me

We have a table.

Exactly where ?  Don't know yet.

I'm sending the check  and form in tomorrow.  You guys get to work it.

K

Puma Mami

Here are the MWCA show hours:

Setup is Friday, March 16th from 1pm to 8pm.
I can help with that about 6pm or 6:30pm.

Saturday, March 17th: 8am to 5pm
Sunday, March 18th: 9am to 3pm - I can work that whole day & afterwards taking down the table stuff. I'll bring it home and store it unless someone else wants to.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

AFTERMATH

Set-up starts at 13:00 - That's perfect!
I'll be able to head directly there from work.

With such a large window, I should be able to tackle setup by myself.  Unless, something changes.
No need to expend the added effort, Jennifer or anyone else.  But if anyone feels like coming down, that would be great too. 

Kevin, what did you do for the requisite  'Flame retardant' table cloths.  Are they available at china-mart  for a couple FRN's? 

I've got Puma Mami down for Sunday.

Alright, now I've come to the conclusion that nothing short of the Redcoats approaching is going to get me out of bed early enough on a Saturday morning to get down there in time.  So, unless someone would rather knock on my door at about 05:00 and tell me the Regulars are out and heading for the fair grounds; I could really use some help opening up the table Sat. morning.
We could also use a fair amount of staff at this event.  The ideal would be at least two manning the table at all times.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!  Let's get an idea of who can help and when so we can get some shifts set up.  I really don't want to have to work the table both days - and no one should have to, if we all just pitch in a little.  Plus, this is the biggest show in MN - Chances are many of you are going anyway.

Really folks, this should be a turn key promotional event.  Of the attendees asked last year - It appears that the majority of folks who heard about us at a gun show, heard about us at this gun show.
Just show up, talk to folks about Appleseed, guns/shooting, and the future of America. 

Psst....  Hey WI - This is pretty much right across the boarder, and as Taylor can tell you we typically get a decent amount of WI  residents sneaking over to our gun shows.  Hint-hint...  And WI likely has more shoots closer to this show than MN does - Hint-hint....
Most MWCA exhibitors are FFL, so one could theoretically peruse for LTR's and M1a's and what-nots, should they feel so inclined...  Hint-hint...
Don't tell MN I told you. >:D

Who's with me?

Huzza!

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 28, 2012, 09:24:42 PM
Kevin, what did you do for the requisite  'Flame retardant' table cloths.  Are they available at china-mart  for a couple FRN's?
I looked into flame retardant table "throws" they call them. They seem to be a specialty item for trade shows. Here is the least expensive one I could find, which does come with a certificate to prove it's flame retardant. We would need one for an 8 foot table. If we do the same color scheme we have now, it would be royal blue with a red runner, and it would be about $50 total with shipping. We could also go with just a plain black one with no runner. Anyone have the money to order this?
http://www.displays2go.com/trade_show_table_covers.htm
http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=13591

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 28, 2012, 09:24:42 PM
With such a large window, I should be able to tackle setup by myself.  Unless, something changes.
No need to expend the added effort, Jennifer or anyone else.  But if anyone feels like coming down, that would be great too. 
I will need to drop off a bunch of printed literature Friday evening. I'm going to print a bunch of 2012 MN schedules on the back of rifle girl posters. I'm thinking 600 this time, since we had 200 at Pine City and we ran out by mid-afternoon. Also trifolds assembled with inserts (2012 MN schedule on one side, "what to bring" on the other side). I've asked Kosciusko to send me a box.

AFTERMATH

Puma Mami

I've ordered a plain black flame retardant table cloth. So we will have something legal with the fire marshall's requirements for MWCA and other events that require it. There weren't any other good options as far as getting flame retardant fabrics, tablecloth vinyl, etc. Everything would either cost more, or not look as nice and cost almost as much, anyway.

Sheridan might come and help out some on Sunday. We'll see.

Is anyone other than Alex helping on Saturday?

AFTERMATH

So far no takers - unless they sent a PM which didn't go through....  So, if you sent a PM that didn't go through, could you please try again?

Thank's for getting that table cloth!  MN is indebted to you.

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 09, 2012, 06:35:47 PM
So far no takers - unless they sent a PM which didn't go through....  So, if you sent a PM that didn't go through, could you please try again?

Thank's for getting that table cloth!  MN is indebted to you.
Well, not so much indebted to me I guess...Kosciusko has graciously offered to send me a check for the cost of the tablecloth.  :)

How many trifold inserts are you printing, Alex? I think we are going to need quite a number. We are stocked up on ink again here, so I can print some, too, if you'd like. Let me know how many.

If it's raining on the 17th my family might not go to the parade. If we don't, then I can come on Saturday at least for half the day. We'll see how it goes.

Puma Mami

We had a very successful weekend at the MWCA show  O0  More and more people are already aware of Project Appleseed. Many said they wanted to get to an AS event last year but couldn't, and they are planning to attend this year. We also reached many new folks who had not heard of Appleseed before. Lots of positive feedback!

I've attached a picture of our booth. We were on the end of the arena, on the top part of the ramp where they bring in the horses at State Fair events in the summer.

Kosciusko

Well done!

That's a lot nicer display than the one I was at in Onalaska this weekend.

Numbers in Onalaska were low, due to the nice weather, and other factors, but the reception for Appleseed was enthusiastic. 

People are looking for us now.

K

Puma Mami

Quote from: Kosciusko on March 19, 2012, 02:39:59 PM
Well done!

That's a lot nicer display than the one I was at in Onalaska this weekend.

Numbers in Onalaska were low, due to the nice weather, and other factors, but the reception for Appleseed was enthusiastic. 

People are looking for us now.

K
Thanks! Yes, the table and display behind it came out really nicely! Some folks are definitely looking for us now. Several said relatives or friends had told them about Appleseed, and they wanted to try it. I'm thinking we will see good participation this year.  O0

Even though Onalaska had a lower turn out, the people you reached will tell others, too. Word of mouth seems to be the best method to get people to try Appleseed. So you probably reached more folks than it seems like you did. People like to share a good thing when they find out about it.

colycat

Great work guys O0  The Chaseburg April 21 shoot picked up 10 people since the weekend.  I call that results.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Kosciusko

Quote from: colycat on March 20, 2012, 10:48:15 AM
Great work guys O0  The Chaseburg April 21 shoot picked up 10 people since the weekend.  I call that results.

Remember, Bob Pucci said we can have a free table at any of his Wisconsin shows provided there's an unsold table.  I'll keep doing the Onalaska and La Crosse shows.  I always thank him personally at the close of each show.  On Saturday, there was some slack time, he asked me for a detailed sketch of what we do.  When he found out we did steep  discounts for youth and women, he became even more interested.    He's a big supporter of youth shooting sports.