News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Crawfordsville, IN Nov. 12-13, 2011

Started by ATM, November 13, 2011, 07:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

Great weekend for the first Appleseed at Crawfordsville Gun Club!
Warm both days with a bit of wind on Sunday.
Thanks to all who came out to share in the marksmanship and heritage.   O0

More details and pictures to follow... I've got bacon to cook...  ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

The Nailer

It was a really beautiful Nov. day the ,very windy but the range was protected from most of the wind, so the wind really didn't bother us.  We had a really safe and determinded bunch of shooters who were  made big improvements.  Rimshot and Bill of Rights showed up to help on Sun. and I learned alot just watching them. I would like to thank James and the Crawfordsville Gun Club for their hospitality and use of the range. No riflemen but a very good shoot.

ATM

During the Saturday morning safety briefing we were treated to two deer wandering casually past us in the field next to the rifle range. As it was the first day of hunting season, this was probably the safest place in the county for them at that moment. We made sure it was the safest place for all of us as well, before we got on with the fun.

James represented both the Appleseed program (as a prior 'seeder and active promoter) and the host range (as Crawfordsville Gun Club's board president) very well. Your marksmanship is solid and your efforts and help behind the scenes were instrumental in making this shoot a success. Thank you. You are already a Rifleman, gaining on that elusive score.  ;)

Kirk was by far the smartest, most responsible, sharp-dressed and well-groomed, naturally good-looking fellow I've met since SPQR. (The fact that he brought me a package of premium bacon as a gift has absolutely no bearing on that personal assessment, either.)  ::)
I trust that you gained some valuable feedback and have all the skills necessary to join us again in the spring and nail those AQTs. It was great to share the weekend with you.

Jonathan and Kelly make quite the formidable shooting team. Not only did their groups shrink and become more consistent, but Kelly was operating that bolt action like a pro by Sunday! Smooth.  8)
I also hope that you are able to renew in your young students a fresh sense of the importance of our American heritage.

Brandon improved the whole weekend and maintained a level of excitement and motivation that had me suspecting that he might just be finding all of this...FUN?!?! ??? (It was!)
Next time, we get Grandpa (Steve) down on the line behind a rifle as well. You keep working on him for next time, buddy.

What can I say about Stagehand Steve's daughter, Alex, except that she knows how to shoot and is entirely toooooo flexible. We old people were a little jealous of your abilities in that seated position. She's obviously paid attention and put in some practice. Sorry you guys couldn't make it back for Sunday, but I hope you and my daughter get a chance to meet at a shoot soon. Great job!  O0

Father and son prior 'seeders Eric and Tyler joined us on Sunday to share the line and put a hurtin' on some targets. They missed some of the morning refresher instruction due to an unfortunate vehicle/wildlife interaction, but they knew what they were doing and picked right up where we were. Well done guys. I do not want to be a menacing bell shaped object downrange of either of you.  :o

Stagehand Steve, The Nailer and RBKL presented, instructed and coached throughout the first day.
Rimshot and Bill of Rights were able to join us as well on Sunday.
I was completely surrounded by excellence, both shooters and staff.

Thank you all for leaving the couch and coming out.  :bow:

Now, don't forget the 7th step - let everyone know  ^:)^ ...and bring them back with you to another shoot!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

RBKL

Another great Appleseed weekend.   The weather was better than expected.  Nice both days.  It was a little windy, but the range seemed to be protected.  A couple of times it seemed like some trees would come down, but they never did.

The Crawfordsville range was a great facility.  Thank you James for helping out and all of the range infomation you provided to me - hopefully it can be put to good use.  Looking forward to coming back for another shoot.

Great group of shooters attended.  Looking forward to seeing you all in the future.

Here are a few photos.
Saturday:
Shooting squares
Jonathan and Kelly

The whole line

Stage Hand Steve reviewing sitting position with ATM

Seated position. Brandon and James

Seated - Alex, ATM and Kirk

The Nailer doing IMC

Ball and Dummy
Kelly and Alex

and Alex and Kelly

Jame and Kirk

Jonathan and Brandon

Sunday - Firing the Garand

Brandon getting Ready with the help of Rimshot

And firing

and ping

Brandon's dad Ryan with the Garand

Brandon's grandfather Steve with the Garand

Eric takes his turn

Tyler thought he should try too.  It took little setup

A little build up for the cheek, some support from Rimshot and Dad (Eric) and he was good to go

Thanks you Rimshot for bringing your Garand, instructing everyone and giving them a chance to shoot. 

Tyler and Brandon with their young shooter patches.  Those young ones are sure tall - or ATM is getting shorter.

Rimshot, ATM and James tearing down - sadly coming to an end

but Tyler is still raring to go

Counting down the days to the next shoot - hope to see you all again soon

RBKL

Patriot Gal

Really nice story line with the pictures RBKL and good narrative for the weekend ATM. 

Sounds like a great Appleseed weekend AND Bacon!!

Congrats to all the shooters who got off the couch and out to an Appleseed this weekend!
You are the reason we are here!!

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Rimshot

It was a really great weekend for Appleseeding and I'm glad the rain held off.  For mid-November it's a treat for the weather to turn warm and sunny.  Those pictures are great, RBKL, and it was a pleasure to meet you and The Nailer.

As far as the shooters go, I saw some great attitudes (and great targets, too!).  I could tell you all were really paying attention when instructed on positions!  Focus on letting yourself relax and let NPOA do all the work.  Remember your dry practice?  Remove all ammunition from the room, check to be sure your rifle is empty.  Then check your rifle again, just to be sure.  Get into one of the positions for just a few minutes a night and relax.  Find your NPOA, and adjust so that it's on a convenient object like an electrical outlet.  When you're certain you are "on target", dry fire to practice that smooth squeeze on the trigger.  It's cheaper than actually shooting, and your muscles and brain can't tell the difference!

My favorite memory from the weekend was after we finally got Tyler situated behind the Garand.  The rifle is almost as tall as he is.  We loaded two rounds of .30-06 for the little man, and after he fired them I asked him "how was it?"  He looked at me and gave me a huge grin and said "I liked it!"  Even if there wasn't a Country to save, even if there wasn't a Story to tell, a grin like that would make Appleseeding worth every minute.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ