News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Lafayette, IN, Sept 10, 2011

Started by AuntieBellum, September 11, 2011, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

What a fantastic day for an Appleseed!  The weather was perfect - slight breeze, not too hot or cold, just the right mix of sun and clouds - beautiful!  We had a full line of friends and family who joined us from their church for their own private event.  It made for a lot of fun and conversation throughout the day, and sometimes a little bit of friendly competition as they raced YHJ to the target line.   ;D  It also made for a great lunch - thank you, Brown family!  Speaking of the Brown family - thank you for putting this together.  As I said yesterday, you have truly taken the 7th step and put it to work!

Everyone worked hard and absorbed the info from the start - beginning with soaking in the safety rules to the Six Steps to Firing the Shot to IMC - we saw groups shrinking pretty quickly.  At the end of the day, the scores told the story.  Two new first-time Appleseeders hit the Rifleman mark - John and Doug - congratulations!  One returning Appleseeder finally hit that Rifleman score, too - Marty, I am so proud of you!  I've watched you work so hard to get there, and your practice and persistence has paid off!  I look forward to seeing you again soon in your new pink "Shoot Like a Girl" hat.   O0  Four young people also earned their youth patches, too, sticking it out all day and bringing great attitudes with them.

More importantly, though, we had some attendees really listening to the history.  There were some questions, some discussion, and definitely a lot of nodding heads.  Remember those Patriots, remember the sacrifices they made - what are you going to do to repay that debt?  I know I'm going to keep hitting the Appleseed trail, and I hope to see many of you there again.  Thank you, Jared, for opening up your range to us - see you at the next Appleseed!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Brown

Thanks Auntie Bellum for the leadership at the event. And a big HUZZA! for becoming a green Hat!! Awesome.

It sounds from the feedback today there is going to be a need for another shoot. Also heard from 3 other families that had scheduling conflicts for yesterday they want to get involved also. Looks like I got some more organizin to do.

Marty is so Excited about here Purple Patch (thanks Bill!!) She has been to 4 events now and feels that YHJ,Bill, Auntie, and Ed are the reason she got that rifleman. So excited.

A big thanks to all the instructors and our host. What a great day.
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

hawkhavn

Again, Huzzah, for Amy!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
Indiana's newest Green hat!
Lucky number 12 on the Hoosier SB list!

Thank you to everyone that came put yesterday, it was a beautiful day, spent with friends and family on the line.

We'll get some pictures up here later today I am certain.

Marty, it was a pleasure shooting next to you at Nashville, congrats as well to Doug and John for leaping the 210 hurdle. I certainly hope to see you all in new chapeaus as well as Amy's.

Again thanks to Jared and family for their support of Appleseed in Indiana.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Bill 3

Brown and family - I want to thank you for being the impetus for this shoot and being a prime example of what it means to reach out to people and get them involved.  Fantastic job on the seventh step.

Jared - thank you for the use of your property.  I hope to say that many times in the future.

Doug, John, and Martie - Congratulations on joining with others in being "...men amongst them that whom know very well what they are about." I hope to see that growth continue and flourish and will enjoying seeing that happen.  Again, congratulations on your achievements!  Martie, your perserverance should be an inspiration to others.  I'm sure that Phil and others will not be far behind.

Thank you all for coming out to learn some markmanship and take to heart the heritage of this nation that needs remembering.  I need to add a special thanks to the children that come out to learn and to their parents for bringing them as it is through our posterity that ideas can live forever.

As always, thank you to the instructors, they are among the best people I know.

- WRWIII

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Niecie

What a FANTASTIC day! While it is always interesting and wonderful to see strangers get to know each other over a two day Appleseed, it is really fun to have families that know each other participate, too.

We were blessed with wonderful weather, few challenges, and a fantastic group of folks that wanted to learn. We also were very lucky to have such a wonderful place to shoot (Thank you to Jared and his family), and a very generous (and delicious) lunch provided by the Brown family. Extra special thanks to Jared and the Brown family for setting this event up and allowing us to be a part of it.

Congratulations to our newest Riflemen! And of course, congratulations to our newest Shoot Boss!!

I have a few pics to post of the day's events. Enjoy!

Thank you to all that made this a very special, unforgettable event for us. I wish you all the best and hope to see you down the trail!

Niecie

Our gracious range host and his darling son.

"Shooters, you may bring your rifles to the line..."

Ready for the Red Coat targets...

First shoots of the day.

The learning begins...

Lots of personal instruction...

Mastering the key elements

LUNCH TIME :D Thank you Lunch-lady Brown and family  :bow:

Niecie

After a scrumptious lunch and an inspirational First Strike from Hawkhavn, we get to the business of AQTs....

Our line boss for the afternoon: .5 
AB may be the SBIT, but it's my line now! She did keep us moving, too! Great Job .5 ~~:)

There was a lot of help to be found from friends and family, too...

And David finds some help in a Milk Duds box... very useful for transporting loose rounds to the line  ;D

Niecie

And the AWARD goes tooooooooo......

Youth Patches for all of our juniors that were fantastic students! Great Job! O0 O0 O0

Who cleared the Red Coat target? Doug. Well done, sir.

Who scored a 210 on their AQT? John!! Whoohooo!!

Who scored Rifleman and backed it up? Doug!! Way to go  :bow:

Who made us a great lunch AND scored Rifleman? Marty!! AKA Lunch-lady Brown >:D

Who got promoted to Shoot Boss Extraordinare? AuntiBellum, of course!

Who had a GREAT time at Appleseed? Huzza!!

Okay, I promise that is all...

Niecie

HQ

This looks like you had a great shoot!  Congrats Doug, John and Marty!  Love the purple patch!!!

And congratulations Amy!!!  I can't wait to work under you as my shoot boss!

SPQR

Congrats Marty.  Very well deserved.  O0
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

Most excellent time it looks like!  And thank you Mardy for putting another notch in that rifle!  It could never do it alone, but only with a Riflewoman driving it.   O0

Look at all those youth, wow!  And that really cute little guy on grandad's shoulders - sure looks like the "posterity" our ancestors where thinking of when they paid the price for us and them.

What a wonderful shoot, and what a great looking hat of green on AB's head.  She sure has earned it.

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

AuntieBellum

Quote from: techres on September 12, 2011, 12:09:20 AM
Most excellent time it looks like!  And thank you Mardy for putting another notch in that rifle!

Actually, I hate to break the news Techres, but it was a look-a-like.  After fighting with her tube-fed for her first couple of 'seeds, Marty arrived proudly with a brand new rifle and ready to tackle those AQTs...now on to that .223!   ;)

Niecie, thank you for the excellent pictures! 
And everyone, thank you.  Time to start fading my green hat now... ;D

DaveD

Sounds like another great shoot

Congrats Amy!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

DFCrockett

A huge thank you to the Appleseed cadre...the Brown family...and Jared!  What a tremendous event!  I can't even begin to count the number of times that my son Daniel (age 10) has said, "Appleseed was so much fun, I'm glad I missed my soccer game!"   :)

It was an honor for me to spend the day with such great people.  Thank you!  I look forward to seeing you all again. 

Doug

Sgt Trashman

Outstanding event! Very well put on on just an all around enjoyable day.  I will definitely be back.  We have had so many people wishing they could have been there, so expect to see a lot of us again soon.  I want to thank the Browns and the rest of  the Appleseed staff for this opportunity.
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - George S. Patton
The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it. - Norman Schwarzkopf
Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory. - George S. Patton

Johnnyappleseed

Indianna rocks  O0
Nice to see friends I have met at Lafayette .

Jared I still carry the 30cal chrome plated bullet you gave me in 09 --- Hi and thanx for all you do .

Bill or anyone reading this please pass message  on to Jared if he is not yet on the forum .
Best wishes and warmest regards to the  the great folks in Indianna
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

techres

Quote from: AuntieBellum on September 12, 2011, 12:48:03 AM
Actually, I hate to break the news Techres, but it was a look-a-like.  After fighting with her tube-fed for her first couple of 'seeds, Marty arrived proudly with a brand new rifle and ready to tackle those AQTs...now on to that .223!   ;)

Sweet, mine has a sister now!  And sorry about my reading comprehension failure up-thread.  That's no grandkid, it's a daddy's kid.

I look forward to meeting each of you on the trail before too long.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

yellowhousejake

What a great day! I enjoyed the entire time, the engaged students, the scrumpdillyishious dumplings, and the laughter.

David-5 always willing to do whatever I asked, Megan "I will not quit" showed true perseverence, and Janelle "work the pump like you are mad at it" smiled non stop.  What a great bunch of Junior shooters. Everyone I worked with, I will remember.

Thank you all for spending the day with us, it is always worth the drive to do an Appleseed.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Amber Waves

^:)^ Congratulations Auntie Bellum on the Green Hat!  ^:)^

I hope to run into you at a Shoot, someday.   

Can anyone get a purple patch or do we need to order them special?  I got mine at McLean, IL in August, but its OD Green.   

AuntieBellum

Amber Waves - the purple patches are quite rare, as they were a special patch in memory of the first Appleseed instructor who passed away - a lovely lady from Florida, as I remember reading.  If you are seeking a purple patch, you'll have to beg and plead if you run into someone who has them.  Looking forward to running into you along the trail sometime soon!