News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winona, MN Sept. 3-4, 2011

Started by vmt193, September 06, 2011, 04:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

I'll go ahead and get this started. I'm sure Buzz will be along soon with pictures.

SB: vmt193
Instructors: AdamT, Brad76, BuzzG, Kusciusko, FreedomV, and Sparks1

We had a nice full line of hearty souls who braved the weather on Saturday. In spite of being already waterlogged, they soaked up the 3 strikes and a few tidbits of history but didn't get a lot of time to work on their rifleman skills. Rain, wind, even the thunder didn't scare us but the lighning got our attention. Even without the lightning though it would have been tough to see the targets through the rain a couple times.  $$-0

After having attended, IIRC, every Appleseed ever held in Winona since the very first one in 2008, Mandy fired away with scores in the low 200s including a 212 to earn her well deserved Rifleman patch.

There were several others very close that I have no doubt are up to the task as well, if they can get their equipment to hang in as tough as they are. A lot of fine shot groups that just couldn't get together on the same AQT. Susan, Roger, Simon, David, you guys have the necessary skills. You just need to show your rifles to step up and back you.

Charlotte showed nice improvement in her shooting from earlier this year. And Grant says he'll be back next time with a few more friends and a tight scope mount. Right Grant?  &)

I think Devon thought Roger was just being nice when he agreed to trade places so he and Colton could team up with Randy & JP for the Parker's Revenge Challenge. Little did he know that Roger already knew who the crack shots were and he just wanted to be on the winning team with Dana, Susan, Stephanie, and Mandy.

By the end of the weekend we had Jody working the line like a pro and along with Mandy and Stephanie, stepped up and accepted the coveted Orange Cap of the Instructor In Training. All three of them just happen to be veterans of that first MN AS in Winona as well.

mike/vmt193

Cooper

CONGRATULATIONS, MANDY !!!!   O0  O0  O0

And thanks to the new IIT's as well ! Great work all around !  Wish I could have been there...  :'(

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Kosciusko

Quote from: Cooper on September 06, 2011, 07:41:50 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, MANDY !!!!   O0  O0  O0

And thanks to the new IIT's as well ! Great work all around !  Wish I could have been there...  :'(

Cooper

You were, in the form of teachings you passed on.  FYI, the "zombies and donuts" explanation of standing position and hasty sling went over quite well w/ the shooters.

Nero

Quote from: Kosciusko on September 06, 2011, 11:26:50 PM
.... FYI, the "zombies and donuts" explanation of standing position and hasty sling went over quite well w/ the shooters.

Oookay...  ???   Care to share?   :cool2:
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Cooper

Quote from: Nero on September 07, 2011, 12:39:18 AM
.... FYI, the "zombies and donuts" explanation of standing position and hasty sling went over quite well w/ the shooters.

For correct hasty sling tensioning, you hold up the rifle stock to chest height and "reach for the donuts" with your support hand, bringing the support arm as far as possible into the "V" of the sling and rifle stock.  After reaching around the sling with the support arm you bring the rifle straight down and cinch the sling around your biceps by "knocking the zombies off" your trigger side leg...  Outrageous associations make memories stick.
Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Nero

Quote from: Cooper on September 07, 2011, 12:28:21 PM
Quote from: Nero on September 07, 2011, 12:39:18 AM

For correct hasty sling tensioning, you hold up the rifle stock to chest height and "reach for the donuts" with your support hand, bringing the support arm as far as possible into the "V" of the sling and rifle stock.  After reaching around the sling with the support arm you bring the rifle straight down and cinch the sling around your biceps by "knocking the zombies off" your trigger side leg...  Outrageous associations make memories stick.
Coop

I regularly use the 'reach for the back of the cupboard' for the first step.  But I suppose if you don't drop the zombie gophers fast enough, they could be crawling up your leg. **)  Have to try that one.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

BuzzG

Thank you to all the shooters that spent their weekend with us. Can't think of a better way to spend my time.

Here are some pictures of the weekend.

Prone position.

The line

Mandy on her way to 212

Instruction

Brad scoring AQT targets.

We had many shooters who were so close to a Rifleman's score. Here is Susan mugging in front of her last Redcoat.
Her elbow is hiding the 3 in the 400!

Way to go Mandy!

Les ripped up his couch target.

Our young shooters

3 new Orange Hats! Thanks for stepping up.

Alumni from the first Winona shoot.

Thanks again for the great weekend. It was good to meet new friends that got off the couch and got involved.

Buzz

jaguar96