News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Manchester, TN September 3-4

Started by TN_Dadx5, September 06, 2011, 02:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_Dadx5

What better way to celebrate Labor Day than to join your fellow Americans at the range to learn about your shared heritage and history with some marksman skill training thrown in to boot?  Well, that exactly what we had this weekend.  Twenty three people (most new to Appleseed) gathered Saturday morning at the fabulous range at Arnold Air Force Base to learn more about their heritage and task themselves with picking up that time honored skill of marksmanship.

After getting through registration, introductions and the safety briefing, the participants got down to business.  Our first Redcoat target showed us that we had a group where about half were 100-200 yard shooters.  By that afternoon our last Redcoat showed that the half that had scored 100-200 had progressed to a group of 300-400 yard shooters.  And most of those who didn't get the 100 yard target were now 100 or better.  And Sunday's Redcoats showed that the training wasn't being forgotten; the majority were 300 yard shooters.

The day was hot, 104 was the recorded high, so we consciously paced ourselves.  Thus we only got two AQTs in and didn't produce any Riflemen Saturday, but we had several knocking on the door.

Sunday dawned cooler and promised a much better day to get down to business.  We quickly got down to the AQT grind and produced several Riflemen.  One even scored better than 210 with a 1930's bolt rifle.  It goes to show you what a little focus and a liberal application of One-Shot to a sticky bolt can do!  Congratulations Martin!

I was honored to be present at a clinic where we had both a father and son win their Rifleman patch!  Martin's son, Martin jr showed that the apple didn't fall far from the tree in that family.  Nelson, Sr's younger son shot well but being plagued with unfamiliarity with a loaner and old ammo wasn't able to hit 210.  Next time young man!

Greg overcame being left handed and right eyed dominant (or was it left-eyed?) to shoot a Rifleman score.  Take it from a left eyed, left hander that shoots right hand-right eyed, you CAN overcome. It just takes persistence!  His young daughter, Kate, was hindered by the whole turkey neck, cheek weld, sight picture thing and couldn't get on paper.  But after being coached by an instructor with a bunch of children, she finally got it (Ohhhhh!) and began placing shots where they belonged.  Greg, keep working with her (dry firing a safed rifle) on the 6 steps and you might have one of the youngest Rifleman (Riflegirl?).

One of our newest friends, Jeff, came back for his second event on Sunday and made a 207.  It's right there, Jeff, just work on your NPOA.  And shorter mags wouldn't hurt.

And I want to make a special mention to James Wiseman, a 10 year old second time Appleseed paticipant who shot a 226 on a sandbag

Here's the list of new Riflemen:
Greg Roberts
Charlie Pruett - recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan and brought his whole family
Michael Glennen - father of one of our IITs and now after multiple events a new Orange Hat
Matthew Cane - MArine Corp JrROTC cadet
Martin Davis
Martin Davis Jr

Enough of my ramblin', here's the pictures.  I didn't get a lot, so please paste what you have!

Is the line ready on the left?

Martin works that 1930's bolt action

Jeff shows good form

Jill handles the heavy barrel

Rifleman Martin

Rifleman Greg

Rifleman Matt

More to come!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

SuperDave#2

I was hoping the rain didn't kill it for you guys this weekend... It started raining here in Smyrna just before dusk on Saturday and hasn't stopped since... We had a few knocking on the door here as well last weekend ( 27-28 Aug ) and hope that they come back out on the 24th and 25th of Sept... Thank You for the AAR and I will pass it along to the Volunteer Training Site - Tullahoma Cadre...

Have Fun and Stay Safe   :)

WK2
DAVE WATROUS
SSG, TNARNG
OPERATIONS / TRAINING NCOIC
VOLUNTEER TRAINING SITE - SMYRNA - RANGE CONTROL

GoVolsDad+1

This was a great shoot. We all had a great time making new friends and hearing about the sacrifice of our forefathers for our freedom. My son "James Wiseman" enjoys the Appleseeds. We plan to attend many more.
I would like to thank Tncolonel, TN_Dadx5, Oldfud, and all the orange for all of there hard work and the help they gave all those who participated.

Ramblin' Wreck

We had a great time at the Appleseed event on Saturday and Sunday and, despite the rain, at the Appleseed instructor-only KD shoot on Monday. We're already looking forward to the next one.

Regan, Appleseed Blue Hat, and Emily.

The line is NOT ready!

TnColonel and TPayne checking targets in the pit at instructor-only KD shoot on Monday.

Pasting hits in the pouring rain. Still had a great time.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown