News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, OH. Aug. 06/07, 2011

Started by slim, August 08, 2011, 09:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

What a fun event!

We showed up bright and early to the Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club to kick off another hot weekend of saving the country. We packed 'em in tight on the small confines of the rimfire range and folks brought out rifles much older than they were. Nothing like hearing, "this was my grandfather's grandfather's rifle" from a 10-year-old boy. Oh the history!

Isn't that what it's all about?

Some newer rifles were safely transported and uncased as well and before we became antiques ourselves, the firing began! Huzza!

The entire day Saturday saw hot patches of direct sun followed by cool, overcast clouds that looked like they'd open up at any moment. We'd start a lesson in the shade, persist through the burning sun, only to end up in the cool breeze of the shade once more. And we never moved!

Those redcoats showed us where we started. By the end of the day, twice as many shooters could nail those big red targets! Huzza! The other thing that became obvious by the end of the day was how much all the shooters really put forth the effort to make solid hits and fire by the numbers. Even the juniors who were trying harder to crank 'em out on single shots or tube-fed rifles were putting holes right down the middle of their targets. "Look, I got this one!"

I'll be honest, as a Shoot Boss when I see 10 younger kids come piling out of cars and running around, I start to worry about safety. But, these young Americans flipped the switch to serious mode as soon as we started and they did a wonderful job of "making sure those around them followed the safety rules." Good job by all and it was super fun to shoot with you. I hope to see you again soon.

Sunday was a little different since a few folks couldn't make it back and we had a few new folks join us. I say new, but they weren't new at all. They'd practiced quite a bit since their last Appleseed. Enough to shoot Rifleman scores! Huzza! And I guess the heat was messing with them since they both shot a 210 on the dot and welcomed the cool North Bridge water that I got to dump right over their heads. Way to go, guys. I hope to see you out on the trail many times more in the coming months.

Everyone got to grind out a few more AQTs and scores continued to go up, up, up! One shooter in particular is right there and probably would've loosened my load of Rifleman patches had we been able to shoot one more before the cool air and swirling clouds of the ominous sky closed in on us and sent us scurrying to clean up the line and head for home.

Fun at the beginning, fun in the middle, and fun right at the end. Appleseed sure is fun! Huzza!

.... and now for some pictures!

Garand

It was interesting how that storm arrived seconds before that last AQT was to begin.

slim

Quote from: Garand on August 09, 2011, 11:13:19 AM
It was interesting how that storm arrived seconds before that last AQT was to begin.
And the worst part is... one more AQT could've been all it took to get that patch.

But, it wouldn't be Miamisburg without rain!

Dangerous D

A Big Huzzah for Slim for SB yet another successful Ohio event!  Thanks for giving up another weekend for the AS mission.  You've been hitting the trail really hard over the past several weekends thanks for your dedication to making a difference.   

MeanStreaker

QuoteYou've been hitting the trail really hard over the past several weekends thanks for your dedication to making a difference.

O0 to that!  Thanks!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

SPQR

I am not certain how the buffets in the tri-state area are holding up to the Slim onslaught but i know the waiter/waitress adds on Craigslist have jumped 30%.  I don't know it if means anything, jus sayin.

HUZZAH FOR SLIM AND THE SHOOTERS  HUZZAH
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

slim

It's a mission, not a hobby. (Plus, I'm still making up for lost time last year. I couldn't get my 12 in so I'm going to have to do a few extra this year.)

As to the waiter/waitress adds on CL, I'm not just saving the country by reconnecting people to their heritage through marksmanship, I'm also creating jobs! No modern politics, but DC's got nothing on me! (And on a related note, we kept Burger Wagon and Ron's Pizza in some job security for several weeks to come.)

Zip-SNAP!.....

Just wanted to say the Miamisburg Appleseed was AWESOME!!! Slim wouldn't turn on the AC but we survived! This was mine and my son's first Appleseed and will diffinitely not be our last. Several Cub Scouts and there parents came as well on a "family event." Everyone had a great time and learned a lot. A huge thanks to you guys for running a safe and fun range!

Messer454

Hey I think I recognize some of those shooters from Cub Scout Day Camp!  Hope to see you again soon!  Huzzah!

Yep, I just looked again.  Looks like the brother and sister sharpshooting duo I helped instruct this year at cub Scout camp.  I can't wait to see them at an Appleseed!
"Be Prepared"......It is more than a motto, it is a way of life.

slim

Most of them were from the Piqua area (Covington/Troy/TippCity/Sidney) and several said they'd be up there for the next one. Maybe Lima too!