News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manhattan SUBWAYSEED! ...omg no way

Started by kDan, June 10, 2011, 05:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

way...

We have scheduled a two day Appleseed event at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range in Manhattan, New York City.  http://www.westsidepistolrange.com/

It will be held the evenings of Friday July 15 and Saturday July 16 from 5pm to 10pm each night.  Friday will be basically a "Library Seed", and Saturday will be as much of an Appleseed event as we can pull of at 50 feet with 16 firing points, factory-sighted 10/22's and no prone position in five hours.  Quite a bit I reckon - New Yorkers talk fast and are accustomed to multi-tasking. 

The range is providing all the rifles and will sell shooters ammo.  They have donated the facilities.  They believe and support what we are doing. The owner knows about us; two of his employees have been to Calverton.  Imagine that.  Still nobody from the NY Times article though and time is running out on that raffle.

Staff at this point includes kDan as Shoot Boss, Josey Wales and VietVet as Instructors. 

woohoo.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Fred

Today, Manhattan; tomorrow, the world!

Good job, guys! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

kDan

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

ITB

Outstanding.  As a born and raised NY'er, I'd love to see folks' faces when someone gets on the subway with a rifle case, ammo can and shooting mat.    :o

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Josey Wales

..Kdan did a great job getting us on the map!! Calverton 12x a year, IBC 2011, Ladyseed 2011, and now a City Shoot 2011.. Ya see, we New Yor'kers dont call it Manhattan, we say, "we're goin' to the City"..  for a show, for dinner, & now for an Appleseed!!.. "Hey honey, I'm goin into the City tonight to work that Appleseed event, I might be home late so please dont wait up..."
....And who said, "Move out!" "Better get out of the City!!" Forget that, we'll just change the place, one Rifleman at a time.....
.....Strength & Honor.............Join or Die....................Josey Wales...................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Tuscarora

Wow I want to see this.  An appleseed in Manhattan?!  Maybe we can get Mr. Obama to hold one on the Whitehouse lawn.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

~Ernest Hemingway

VietVet

Quote from: Josey Wales on June 10, 2011, 09:21:46 PM

..Kdan did a great job getting us on the map!! Calverton 12x a year, IBC 2011, Ladyseed 2011, and now a City Shoot 2011.. Ya see, we New Yor'kers dont call it Manhattan, we say, "we're goin' to the City"..  for a show, for dinner, & now for an Appleseed!!.. "Hey honey, I'm goin into the City tonight to work that Appleseed event, I might be home late so please dont wait up..."
....And who said, "Move out!" "Better get out of the City!!" Forget that, we'll just change the place, one Rifleman at a time.....
.....Strength & Honor.............Join or Die....................Josey Wales...................

Just to add to the list of firsts.....RBC 2011.

I was born and raised in NYC...what an experience.

Spent half my life on those Subways....unbelievable

Appleseed in Manhattan.......PRICELESS!

A City with over 8 Million residents ALL within a short Subway ride of this Range....WOW!
                                    OUR

Rocket Man

Spectacular.   ..:..

AIO?  Yeah, we got that...

I think General Washington would be proud.   **)
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

lprgcfrank

Way to go Dan. now we gotta get one in Philly ^-^
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Cooper

Gentlemen and Ladies!

Congratulations one and all on a most spectacular achievement!  I am literally fighting back tears!

The sear boldness and beauty of it, in New York City no less!!

And for the "Atlas Shrugged" community, Rearden Steel has just been truly invented:
http://www.fastcompany.com/1758847/the-super-strong-future-material-thatll-make-your-car-lighter-steel
Just patented as "Flash Bainite," it was invented by a non-metallurgist and is lighter and stronger than any steel on the planet. Dagny Taggert, where are you?  New York may not have to be abandoned after all...

Coop
[Ragnarok, I'm ready and waiting for the command]

Who is John Galt?
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

KYWindage

Quote from: Tuscarora on June 10, 2011, 09:34:32 PM
Wow I want to see this.  An appleseed in Manhattan?!  Maybe we can get Mr. Obama to hold one on the Whitehouse lawn.

Now that would be a sight to behold!
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

TruTenacity

Nice work.  Can't wait to read the AAR.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

TheKorporation

i can't wait to be there if weather permitting.

cheers.

VietVet

Weather permitting?

This is an indoor Range.

See you there!!
                                    OUR

Dakota

"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

B9

Dan, your the man. If I had to pick the last place to ever expect to see an AS it would be Manhattan. kDanistan is growing. That's a good thing.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Tuscarora

Quote from: KYWindage on June 11, 2011, 07:53:41 AM

Doing KD on the Mall right after would top it off nicely.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

~Ernest Hemingway

sgtrock

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!KKKKKKKKKDDDDDDDAAAAAANNNNNNNN,,,,,,,,

This Is So Cool,,,,,

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Tuscarora on June 12, 2011, 08:56:59 AM
Quote from: KYWindage on June 11, 2011, 07:53:41 AM

Doing KD on the Mall right after would top it off nicely.
OK folks - let's try to stick to the guidelines and keep modern politics and/or personal names out of the discussion, shall we?  Thanks.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: kDan on June 10, 2011, 05:41:45 PMSaturday will be as much of an Appleseed event as we can pull of at 50 feet with 16 firing points, factory-sighted 10/22's and no prone position in five hours.  Quite a bit I reckon - New Yorkers talk fast and are accustomed to multi-tasking.
This is just food for thought - have you considered two groups of 16 shooters for Saturday, in relay?  Josey Wales has done this before and it works out nicely (although, admittedly, we only had two groups of seven).  If you can pull it off, this presents the possibility of 'filling' the event both days.

50' targets can be downloaded from Firewall's Resource topic at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7406.30#msg160342.  I'll see if I can get a work crew going to print some out for you.  What do you think - 70 Redcoats, 35 Squares, 35 Classifications and 150 AQTs?  Let me know...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nickle

Let me mention modern politics in an acceptable way for a moment........

If ANY politician from ANY party were to come to an event where I'm at, they will get treated with all respect due their office (that means they will be treated well). Yes, I have had politicians at Appleseeds before.

If the POTUS himself were to come, we will treat him like he's never been treated before. He'll be back, I can assure you that.

I WANT them to come, they WILL leave with a real appreciation for what we're doing, and I wager they will RETURN, and bring others.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Another D.O.M.

Thanks for this important reminder Nickle.

One of the great things about Appleseed is that everyone is an equal participant, and everyone is treated with respect and dignity - from a 12 year old newbie shooter to a fellow who's been shooting 1,000 yards for many years; from an IIT0 to a Master Instructor; and from the mother who lives down the block to the POTUS, we're all in this together as peers.

IMO, one of the most difficult tasks we all must master is setting aside our personal baggage in furtherance of the mission.  But this must be done if we are to be successful.

kDan

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on June 15, 2011, 08:57:35 AM

This is just food for thought - have you considered two groups of 16 shooters for Saturday, in relay? 

We're considering a few different things, but the line is confined in a small room with little extra space.  What we learn from this event will be used to adjust for future events.  I think we'll sign up 16 shooters for the event, and maybe stage the Friday night thing as a LibrarySeed.

Fred's idea of spreading the whole thing over four days to get in a full Appleseed is a food for thought as well, but I'm not sure if we can use up all that time without a prone position.   

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on June 15, 2011, 08:57:35 AM
  I'll see if I can get a work crew going to print some out for you.  What do you think - 70 Redcoats, 35 Squares, 35 Classifications and 150 AQTs?  Let me know...

That sounds great!  If you could get these printed out somehow we'd be grateful.  I have limited printing access.  Rich may be able to take care of it too however.  What say thee, VietVet?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

Finally an appleseed that starts at a civilized hour.
Check your drama at the door.

kDan

Quote from: crak on June 21, 2011, 02:31:40 PM
Finally an appleseed that starts at a civilized hour.

Teehee - and ends at the jazz hour!  Bring your sax brother!  Calveron alumni are invited and and encouraged.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

I'm actually passing through on Friday.  Hope I can stop by.  5hrs is plenty of time, btw.  O0
Check your drama at the door.

Patriot Gal

How great is that?!?!?!?   ^:)^

Congrats on a shoot in Manhattan!!!   

Looking forward to hearing all about it.....and finding out when the next one there will be scheduled. 

:bow: O0 :bow: O0
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Josey Wales

Quote from: crak on June 21, 2011, 04:51:00 PM
I'm actually passing through on Friday.  Hope I can stop by.  5hrs is plenty of time, btw.  O0

..you kidding??.. that is perfect timing.....you gonna stop in?....Keep in touch with us.............JW.............
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..