News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manhattan SUBWAYSEED! ...omg no way

Started by kDan, June 10, 2011, 05:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dart67eb

I FB with Andrea Tantaros from Fox News.  I'd like to ask her and her friends to go but I don't see a EIP.  Do I tell her to just show up?  BTW, being a NJ exit 12 boy, YOU ARE THE MAN!
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Another D.O.M.

dart67eb - The EIP is not yet complete - there is a minor matter that kDan is attending to before we can post this event on the schedule.  Please stay tuned...
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

kDan

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on June 25, 2011, 10:59:12 PM
dart67eb - The EIP is not yet complete - there is a minor matter that kDan is attending to before we can post this event on the schedule.  Please stay tuned...
MJA

Oop, thanks ADOM.  I need to be reminded about everything.

The Westside Rifle and Pistol Range, being as it is located in the borough of Manhattan, conducts private background checks on all it's shooters before allowing them to shoot at their facility.

Anyone who considers the realities of shooting rifles on West 20th St and Broadway should understand why a business would want to protect themselves in such a way.  They do not share the information with anybody, but do what they can to keep themselves from putting a rifle into the hands of a wanted felon.

Anybody who should not be handling fire-arms should probably not come to this event.  Anyone who is made nervous by background checks should perhaps not come to this event (or buy a rifle, use a credit card, apply for a job or a mortgage, register a car...  I digress).  It's up to you.

Anybody from out there in "Real America" who feels like making fun of us for the realities we live under here in the capital of the world, please keep it to yourself.  We're working here, and your pizza's gross.

Okay, can we get this on the EIP now? My bad, but lower NY and the SubwaySeed crew is done with the first LadySeed in the Northeast and we're ready to move on to the next big thing. 

Mark, expect a phone call today brother regarding the schedule of the event.  That is still unusual, but I think we can go ahead and put it up...  o yeah, subway directions...  I'll take care of that the next time the boss ain't looking.    &)

Can we post an EIP and put directions in later?  Manhattan is pretty easy to find really.  All roads lead to Rome...  planes, trains, but not so much automobiles.  Cabs and bicycles tho.

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Another D.O.M.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

kDan

I know the flier needs to be adjusted, but thanks again JW for putting it together so fast.  It's great!  I already messed with it (messed it up?), but I'll fine tune it tonight.  It doesn't say the price or that folks should pre-register.  At this point if anybody downloads one, you can just fix it yourself.  Price $50 for both days.  Event Information Page should be up momentarily.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting.  I just wanted to share this with y'all while it's fresh in my mind.  I just had to go into the city, the upper east side, to look at a job.  I had ten fliers with me and handed them out to likely candidates I saw along the way, union guys on construction sites, folks that gave me a good feeling, couple Asian dudes (lots of Asian Patriots in NYC), a lad in a jeep at a red light, and a big guy looked like he might have recently been in the service sitting at a sidewalk cafe enjoying a $20 cheeseburger and a glass of wine. 

At first I was like sneak attacking them.  "Here, check this out."  Hand it off and jet, but after a couple folks, I took a moment to watch them as they peaked at the flier, then I continued down the street (I really had to get to this job).  I waited just long enough to see a spark in their eyes.  It was there, and they didn't look up at me in astonishment or anything like that.  They kept reading.

It's one of those experiences like flying in a helicopter or walking a pitbull; if you haven't handed out Appleseed flyers on Lexington Avenue and 68th St. in Manhattan, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Josey Wales

Quote from: kDan on July 01, 2011, 04:25:56 PM
I know the flier needs to be adjusted, but thanks again JW for putting it together so fast.  It's great!  I already messed with it (messed it up?), but I'll fine tune it tonight.  It doesn't say the price or that folks should pre-register.  At this point if anybody downloads one, you can just fix it yourself.  Price $75 for both days.  Event Information Page should be up momentarily.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting.  I just wanted to share this with y'all while it's fresh in my mind.  I just had to go into the city, the upper east side, to look at a job.  I had ten fliers with me and handed them out to likely candidates I saw along the way, union guys on construction sites, folks that gave me a good feeling, couple Asian dudes (lots of Asian Patriots in NYC), a lad in a jeep at a red light, and a big guy looked like he might have recently been in the service sitting at a sidewalk cafe enjoying a $20 cheeseburger and a glass of wine. 

At first I was like sneak attacking them.  "Here, check this out."  Hand it off and jet, but after a couple folks, I took a moment to watch them as they peaked at the flier, then I continued down the street (I really had to get to this job).  I waited just long enough to see a spark in their eyes.  It was there, and they didn't look up at me in astonishment or anything like that.  They kept reading.

It's one of those experiences like flying in a helicopter or walking a pitbull; if you haven't handed out Appleseed flyers on Lexington Avenue and 68th St. in Manhattan, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once.

..Very Cool..  I think Id like a go at that Brother Dan.....
..Save some people for me....Id like to stand and watch that sparkle in their eyes too..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

kDan

Quote from: Josey Wales on July 01, 2011, 08:36:38 PM
..Save some people for me....

I think I might have missed a couple, Nick.

I have worked on the flier a bit more.  I think it's good enough to go with.  See above or just grab it here.

Still waiting on the EIP.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Okay... The flyer has been changed again.  It's $50 for both days, because we will have more spots for the classroom session and hope to bring extra people in for that (Friday night - library seed).  We can't charge the two day folks for a day we're giving away to the Friday only crowd.  So this is officially a one-day event, but it's a pre-requisite for Saturday shooters to be there on Friday night.  NO SATURDAY ONLYS!!

Savageshootr has worked this all out. Thank you SS!  Maybe some day I'll know what I'm doing, but thank god some other folks already do!  No playbook for Appleseed yet folks.

Expect an EIP tonight.  Seriously.  This is complicated, but once we get it right, it should be all set for repeatability.  If we pull this off, we're looking tentatively at one a month.  If we get that, we'd love to have other Instructors come down and help out.  Catch a show, run an Appleseed, go to a club...  What?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Quote from: dart67eb on June 24, 2011, 02:03:04 AM
I FB with Andrea Tantaros from Fox News.  I'd like to ask her and her friends to go but I don't see a EIP.  Do I tell her to just show up?  BTW, being a NJ exit 12 boy, YOU ARE THE MAN!

Wow, don't know how I missed this.  She can just show up on Friday, or she can call ahead to either myself (718 490 7665) or Darren at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range.  His number is easy to find but I don't want to post it here.

Of course, once the EIP is up, she can register.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

SavageShootr

I am sorry for the delays on my end.

Here is your link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23718.0

Let us all know how it turns out!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

kDan

Tremendous Huge Thanks Savageshootr!!!  No delays from you.  All on me.

And here's where you register:

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1879298031

I have altered the flier one last time.  So, sue me!  Things have changed!

Special thanks to Josey Wales for coming to the range with me to meet and discuss, plus he designed the flier.  And another special thanks to Another D.O.M. for all his help!!!

At Appleseed events we ask our shooters, "How many people could you get to come out at a moment's notice?"  Can we find 16 shooters in two weeks out the population of America's largest City?  I sure hope so.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Ratchett

Wish I could be there! I am sure you can get 16 folks, those New Yorkers will come through no doubt!!!

Happy 'seeding guys!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

sgtrock

This event,, Is Very Important,,,

I hope it spreads the message through out the five boroughs and across this great country,,,,

New York City is about to set standards here that we can only hope, the rest of the country will want to follow,,, I wish you guys all the best, and a safe shoot,,,,

sgtrock

Josey Wales

Quote from: kDan on July 02, 2011, 05:31:33 PM
Quote from: dart67eb on June 24, 2011, 02:03:04 AM

Wow, don't know how I missed this.  She can just show up on Friday, or she can call ahead to either myself (718 490 7665) or Darren at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range.  His number is easy to find but I don't want to post it here.

Of course, once the EIP is up, she can register.

..Kdan, I took care of this last week.. I PMed dart67 back and forth and they know whats up already.......JW..

Josey Wales

..Anytime Dan.. We are a Team and if we work together we can stay strong..

A house divided against itself will fall..

United we stand divided we fall..

Join or Die..

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately..

.................Strength & Honor..............Josey Wales.......................................

Quote from: kDan on July 02, 2011, 05:49:28 PM

Special thanks to Josey Wales for coming to the range with me to meet and discuss, plus he designed the flier.  And another special thanks to Another D.O.M. for all his help!

kDan

Another version of the flier... 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

kDan

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: kDan on July 02, 2011, 05:49:28 PMAt Appleseed events we ask our shooters, "How many people could you get to come out at a moment's notice?"  Can we find 16 shooters in two weeks out the population of America's largest City?
At this point there are five seats left of 16 - I'd say you're doing just fine!

Ratchett

Hey kDan! Radio interview was great!! You guys are close to sell out, only 3 positions left.

WAY TO GO NEW YORKERS!!!!  Super job guys, No more...."New York, abstains .....courteously" only "New York says, YEA!"

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^  Looking forward to the AAR.

EDIT: The quotes come from the musical 1776
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

PHenry

Having been near arrested in the subway in Manhattan last year for having a pocket knife inside my back pocket, I will cast zero dispersions on the background checks required for this event. Everything is relative as my father used to say.

I can assure anyone in doubt, that this is a milestone for Appleseeds and NYC. More importantly, this is an amazing achievement for the NY crew. That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness alone that gives everything its value.

The people of NYC need an Appleseed event more than most - that makes it worth the added effort.

Rock on.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

kDan

This event has sold out! 

Well, alright...
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Cooper

Quote from: kDan on July 10, 2011, 01:10:07 AM
This event has sold out! 
Well, alright...

HUZZAH !!!

Congratulations to you and your crew on this momentous achievement!
  O0 O0 O0
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

LongIslandFirearms

It's refreshing to see NYC host an Appleseed.  Hope the day is fun-filled!

kDan

Quote from: LongIslandFirearms on July 12, 2011, 04:58:57 PM
It's refreshing to see NYC host an Appleseed.  Hope the day is fun-filled!

It would not have happened without you guys!

Thanks, Steve.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Revman

It is great to see Appleseed in NYC.I read about the project years ago and thought it would be nice to have one near by. Now that the seed is here we have to harvest the crop with of coarse a little nurture.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country

Revman

kDan
What was the name o f the 2 books at this event I forgot to write the names down before I left for PA.
Concord?....
Revman Norman

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Revman

asminuteman
My ancestors fought in the 8th PA